Groupers.....

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Groupers.....

Post by domvonn »

Hi guys, izzit possible to catch a grouper via handline? and special technique i must watch out for?
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Groupers.....

Post by Peace »

It's possible to catch groupers on just about any form of fishing techniques. I guess the more important factor is knowing there the fish usually hang out and what they like to feed on. So yes, you can catch them on handlines.

You can typically find groupers in rocky areas, especially at fringes of corals/rocks. They also like to hide in covers like under jetties, wrecks or crevices they can find. So if you're fishing from a jetty, there's a chance that they're just hiding near the jetty pillars waiting to ambush its prey.

Groupers have a wide range of appetite. Their typical diet includes fishes, prawns, squids and crabs which they can find among rocks. They're very also greedy fishes and will stuff themselves with whatever food they can find. When fishing for them, don't use too small of a bait or they'll not get interested in it.

In the water, groupers usually linger near their hiding place where they can rush back in in case of danger. So most of the time when a grouper hits, they'll head back into the rocks quickly and lodge themselves among the rocks.

So it is essential that there is immediate reaction from the angler when a grouper hits. You have to be a little hard on the initial struggle to prevent the fish from rushing back into its hole. If you're successful in pulling the fish a few feet away from its hiding place, it will get disorientated and you'll have more chance of landing it.

Good luck.

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

thanx bro , read from TFNR, u've had an impressive record of CR..damn good sia. bring me go fishing one fine day eh :grin:
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Haha, impressive records of small fishes that is. But seriously, I enjoy catching them :)

jimmytyh
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jimmytyh »

hi! i'm new here, i see u guys meet up for fishing. I'm also interested hehe... wonder if i can joined in too.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Welcome to HLF, jimmytyh. :)

We don't really fish together, but perhaps domvonn will be happy to have someone to fish with. ;) I'm merely here to provide information and answer any queries anyone may have on fishing, so feel free to ask me anything.

If you're looking forward to fish with more people or have people to guide you along, do visit our partner site fishingnewsroom.com. Members do organize their own outings and there are anglers who are good with different forms of fishing techniques which may interest you.

Have fun fishing! :grin:

jimmytyh
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by jimmytyh »

Thnx Peace!! Appreciate ur welcome n guidance! ;)