Eging

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Eging

Post by domvonn »

I wanna do Eg-ing ..sounds fun!
any kind soul can share tips?
will be getting a rod le!
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I'm not good with eging myself but you can buy those artificial jigs and try them out at jetties or rocky shores. Labrador, Bedok and Punggol jetties should have them.

If you're eging in deeper waters, say above 10 feet, you might need to add additional weight to the artificial jig to make it sink to the bottom. Try luring close to structures where it is dark because that's where the squids will be hiding.

If you're luring for them at night, luminous jigs helps the squid to spot your jig better. During the night, they're attracted to light sources. Squids also tend to be more active during the night than day. For cuttlefishes however, they can be found active throughout day and night.

For technique wise, if you're luring in shallow places, a slow constant retrieve or a pause between reeling back works. Make sure the jig get a chance to sink to at least mid level water for it to be spotted by the squid.

If you're luring from a vertical drop, you should make sure the jig drops almost to the bottom and do a slow retrieve a few feet and dropping it back. Shift frequently to cover more areas.

edit: okay, I just did a short writeup on squid fishing here that you may find useful. :)
http://www.handlinefishing.com/howtofis ... idfishing/

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

Peace wrote:I'm not good with eging myself but you can buy those artificial jigs and try them out at jetties or rocky shores. Labrador, Bedok and Punggol jetties should have them.

If you're eging in deeper waters, say above 10 feet, you might need to add additional weight to the artificial jig to make it sink to the bottom. Try luring close to structures where it is dark because that's where the squids will be hiding.

If you're luring for them at night, luminous jigs helps the squid to spot your jig better. During the night, they're attracted to light sources. Squids also tend to be more active during the night than day. For cuttlefishes however, they can be found active throughout day and night.

For technique wise, if you're luring in shallow places, a slow constant retrieve or a pause between reeling back works. Make sure the jig get a chance to sink to at least mid level water for it to be spotted by the squid.

If you're luring from a vertical drop, you should make sure the jig drops almost to the bottom and do a slow retrieve a few feet and dropping it back. Shift frequently to cover more areas.

edit: okay, I just did a short writeup on squid fishing here that you may find useful. :)
http://www.handlinefishing.com/howtofis ... idfishing/
cool thanx for the info and write up. :thumbsup:

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Wow, a new record for giant squid; reminds one of the Kraken doesn't it. :lol: I think it would be terrifying to see one of these during offshore trips. A squid that size is capable of capsizing a small boat, not that it would want to. :mischieve:

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... tures.html

one more link...its call colossal squid ?