Fishing at St John's / Lazarus

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

fishingchick
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: handlining

Fishing at St John's / Lazarus

Post by fishingchick »

Hi, I'm 26, a chick, new to handlining and will be fishing for the first time around St John's / Lazarus Island with some friends this weekend. I took a look at the site's St John's page and there seems to be a plethora of fish which can be caught! However, I was told by the skipper of my sailboat that there are NO FISH to be had around this time of the year. In fact, he had the cheek to assure me he would halve my charter if I caught anything at at all!

As I'm rather keen on saving some money (and more importantly, proving the guy wrong), please could you guys let me know if (i) there really are no fish to be caught, at least with a handline, around St John's / Lazarus or (ii) if there are fish, how I could maximise my chances of getting something, eg bait to use, spots to go (I'm not really planning on sailing out to the deep sea, prob about 30 feet max).

Thanks very much guys!
;)

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Re: Fishing at St John's / Lazarus

Post by Tere »

Firstly welcome to HLF. :lol:

I'm not sure if you're allowed to drop anchor at St. John's waters. But your skipper should know better. From your post, you've mentioned that you'll be on a sailboat. I will suppose its going to be a keelboat then. The skipper should have a depth finder on board, from there you can just chart the bottom. Just look at the areas with drop offs. But depending on underwater terrain, tide and location, the current flow varies alot.

The rule of the thumb is got water, got fish ... therefore ... why not just tie a short snood bottom feeder rig with smaller hooks, then bait it with little pieces of squids. The fishes in the south likes squids :lol:

Anyway, the bottom line is ... just enjoy yourselves. Saving costs is good, but if you over-indulge in trying to save costs. There'll be lots of dissappointments. :lol: My driving instructor told me also ... "If you pass your driving test the first time today with that tester and with your driving skills like that, I'LL REFUND YOU ALL YOUR FEES !!!". At the end of the day, I passed with no points deducted. Then came "Aiya ... I was just joking only lah ...". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just have lots of fun sailing ... don't forget lots of sunblock, shades, champaigne, strawberries and chocolates. Bring along a Wind Breaker just incase wind picks up or weather change. ;) Strong SW winds ... it'll bring you back to mainland very quickly. hee hee.

fishingchick
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by fishingchick »

Thanks very much! this is really helpful .. :D I was debating between using prawn and using squid. not sure if prawn is good for anything in our waters other than Todak?

Will rig up some smaller hooks and see what i can get, hopefully something to post up here.
:D

Really impressive set of driving skills btw, even though you didn't get a full refund!

I would be content just to prove my dear skipper wrong ;)

Many thanks once again!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Your skipper probably has done enough fishing there (at least at his usual spots) to have the confidence to say that or place a bet. It is most probable that the skipper will not let you take the sailboat wherever you want unless you know him well and furthermore useless if you're not experienced in identifying and locating spots in the middle of the sea. You wouldn't want to waste time echo-sounding the seabed blindly as well.

If you're talking about landing a fish of any size, it shouldn't be too hard for any frequent angler. Just park near any reef (or rocky shores of St John's/Lazarus/Kusu) and fish on the fringes (where the corals slopes steep down into the depth), you'll almost certainly get some sort of fish if you have your fishing techniques right. However, reef fishing may not be suitable for sailboats as it often require you to anchor in shallow waters. Sailboats with short keels might be still able to do so but I doubt the skipper will be comfortable with it.

As to the "NO FISH to be had around this time of the year" statement, it is most likely an exaggeration. He probably meant that the catch wouldn't very good. Boaters and charters fish around there every week regardless of time of the year, so it is not likely that catches will definitely be poor or they would have saved themselves the trouble of coming out at all. No intention of offending any charter, but catch rate depends a lot the competence of the charter/guide. The skilled and experienced guides have lower chance of ending the day with a bad catch.

There are some truth when talking about lesser fish at certain time of the year, typically some species of fishes come into our water to spawn or brought in by ocean current drifts. I heard somewhere behind St John's Island is a good spot for catching Threadfins at certain time of the year. It is a pretty steep and deep drop-off. Where exactly I don't know.

I believe you'll most likely end up like all angler paying for a charter, just fish wherever the captain takes you. So what you can do on your part is pretty limited to your own angling skills and luck. However, the type of rigs and bait used can make a lot of difference. Manning your line vigilantly and checking bait timely increases your odds in landing a fish dramatically.

Using live prawns will cover the widest range of fishes that can be caught, whole squids (live/very fresh ones) are better for targeting biggies. For rigs, simply a long trace bottom rig will suffice especially if the boat is drifting. You can choose two use 2-hook Apollo if you can man your lines attentively. If you just want to land a small fish to prove to the skipper, you can always use 3-hook apollo (as small as tamban hooks) and use cut pieces of dead prawns.

Welcome to HLF, good luck on your upcoming trip. :)

rookie
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by rookie »

there are plenty of todak

anyhow oso can get 1

sure make the skipper swallow back his word. :D

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

Heee ... remember ... she on a Sailboat ... should be a Keelboat ... they have a requirement for minimum depth cos of the Keel. :lol:

By the way ... Catfish is not a fish oki? Its a Cat ... my Cookie detest them as much as Cats :lol: :lol:

Alley ... I hear you say Sotong ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joseph_T
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Off Shore Go Go!

Post by Joseph_T »

Not sure about boating, but I have been there with surf friends just a couple of days back, it wasn't half as bad, sting ray considered fish right? 8.5kg on his boga and couple of small fishes here and there. Good luck nevertheless! Hope you save some money!
Look after the oceans, for you merely borrowed it from the future generation.

fishingchick
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by fishingchick »

Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement guys! What a friendly forum. Will defintely bear this in mind when we get to St John's.

Bit concerned about snagging on corals / construction debris as I've been using the bottom method i.e. drop line till you hear a "thunk" on the sea bed and then hoist it up about one foot and jiggle gently, but oh well... I've got prawns, I've got squid, I've got hooks galore (inclding a set of small 3-hooks, no boga)... now all I need to do is catch SOMETHING, or die of shame. :shiftyeyes: One small mullet/tamban/squid... anything.

Will try to report back, if there should be anything of note to report back.

Cheers,

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Hi fishingchick ~ :rose:

Just dropping by to say Hellow and Welcome to HLF :lol:

The guys has given you so much tips liao ... you have all the best wishes from us all now ...

Just relax and go all out to enjoy yourself ~ :nod: