CR on woodlands waterfront

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

fatsherman
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: surf fishing, shore fishing, boat fishing

CR on woodlands waterfront

Post by fatsherman »

HI!

saw the update on new fishing site, woodlands waterfront. went there last week, unfortunately no pictures, becauase there were schools and schools of assam fish. (my uncle, very experienced, and a few ah laus there id-ed them as assam fish). total caught 34 of them. pretty big. took back to cook, assam fish's really quite bony(a lot of bones).

Just thought that might be useful to update a new fish. I can try taking a photo when i am free this day. I still have some in the fridge.

Also caught a kim kor (scat).

just to share what kind of fishes there are. besides that, really quite quiet waters.

cheers

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: CR on woodlands waterfront

Post by Peace »

Yes, I could use a picture of that fish, the fish has to lie straight horizontally and its fins spread out before taking the picture. I was actually thinking of going down there to catch some, I often see people foul hooking them. I'd be interested to see what other species of fishes that can be caught there. I only managed to see those herrings and and a few banded archerfish under the jetty while I was there.

Thanks for your help. :)

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Newbie

Post by James_Nor »

Ya i going to find my way there le.. btw peace you got any map or address of the place? i really have no idea where is it.. only know at woodland area there.. haha

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The waterfront is along Admiralty Road West, rather near the causeway.

alibabaCrabber
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: anything

Post by alibabaCrabber »

hi guys, yesterday went recce this jetty very nice but saw one sigh show no using of live baits on it :shocked:

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by James_Nor »

REALLY!? why nv take photo.. show us ma..

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

alibabaCrabber wrote:hi guys, yesterday went recce this jetty very nice but saw one sigh show no using of live baits on it :shocked:
I actually missed that sign while I was there, it never occur to me that such a jetty would ban the use of live bait. If it's about litter of discarded live bait on the jetty, then other jetties around Singapore would have similar rules. Unlike reservoirs, the water there is not used for drinking or desalinization, it doesn't make much sense to ban the use of live baits.

Majority of the pollution actually comes from garbage such as plastic bags and other non-biodegradable stuff you can see floating in water as well as those washed up along the shoreline. They should be focusing on litter prevention and clean up rather than conveniently ban live baits, which is just a very small part of the problem.

Another possible reason would be due to the concern of bacteria level in the water but even the amount of baits wouldn't have significant impact to the waters, and most of the baits thrown into the water would have been devoured by fishes and crabs.

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by James_Nor »

so peace it is true that there is this sign ar?

raspiritz
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Long Rod, Short Rod & Boat Rod

Post by raspiritz »

yes.. there was a sign there saying.. no fishing with live bait...
but there are plenty of people fishing with live bait

no casting of net... but there are people bring net in...

Well.... welcome to Singapore!

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by James_Nor »

haha one word.. N park sleeping.. haha

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I guess it's true, someone posted a picture of the sign on fishingkaki. Like the rest of you, every angler I saw that day was using bait anyway. I don't think anyone will believe that this jetty would be for artificial baits only if they had not read the sign.

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by James_Nor »

agree.. what the point sia.. if u say dont anyhow throw rubbish i can understand.. cos sometime there cut bait just leave the prawn head or left over unwanted bait on the floor.. those are the bad sheep ..

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Hey, I am new to fishing and interested in fishing for assam at the woodlands jetty, may i know what type of jigs is suitable and where i can get it? Cause the only jig i know of is tamban jig. Also does artificial lure work on the jetty? Also, i think when they say no live bait, it mean that as long as its not alive its okay, that what i always assume when i fishing there.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

As far as I know these 'Assams' won't take jigs or bait. Most people get them by foul hooking them, tamban jigs will do but make sure your sinker is heavy enough so you can crank back fast enough while keeping the hooks in water. Woodlands waterfront supposedly does not allow live baits, by that it means no organic baits (includes stuff like dead prawns). I don't really get the rationale of them banning organic baits though. 0.o

Welcome to HLF, MrTurtle7. :)

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Haha thanks, :o

Hm... Could you explain foul hooking? I am only found out that it is not hooking the fish in the mouth, but not sure of the process and how it is done. I saw school of fishes swim by me but i have no idea how to get them :cry:
Is there any other methods of fishing i could try at the jetty?