i seriously need help here! :(

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ekkewang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: any fishing methods as long as can catch fish!

i seriously need help here! :(

Post by ekkewang »

hello guys... sigh... im really very disappointed with myself...

today i went to pasir ris main pond (the big one) for fishing... $38 from 10am to 9PM...

and i got NOTHING....

various methods i used:

- artificial lures both hard/soft (the hard one got 1 bite but no hookups)
- float and single line with live prawns (all small fish nibble off my prawns, BUT there is ONCE that got a hook up!! details below!!!)
- Line and sinker with live prawns (nth at all, prawn keep missing)
- Line with splitshot and live prawns ( nth at all)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DETAILS of ONCE AND ONLY hook up :

- used float with single line and live prawn
- throw out to as far as i can and try to reach the nets in center... but still landed about 10-15meters away from the nets
- wait abt 3mins and BANG! my float sinked down totally never come up.
- then i quickly reel in to make line tight and give it a hard jerk to set the hook
- fight with the fish... line keep kena drag out by that powerful fish...
- after abt 2min of fighting the fish... line almost always tight , BUT suddenly dono how the fish can unhook itself...
- reel back in with no prawn left on my hook...

sigh..... once and only....

i seriously need some guru advise here... wad is wrong???
i did quite a few research and learnt a few fishing methods and rigs b4 i went... still fail... so many hours... and its the 2nd time already!!!
1st time i tot maybe my luck was bad... now?! omg i cannot believe it...

pls help me! im new to saltwater fishing..

the only experience i have is using live goldfish to fish at resv for peacock bass which i have not bad catch rates... sigh...

thanks for the help guys!!!

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Re: i seriously need help here! :(

Post by ilurbtambans »

for me i tried storm rubber lures, red and green de, was using a 5'6 luring rod paired wid a 1000reel.
just keep casting out, and retrieve. i landed 3 kims, missed 1 kim and 1 unknown. cheers :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I don't do pond fishing but here's what I think that might have been a problem. Because there are many pesky bait stealers in the pond, your parked live prawns are easily nibbled off very fast leaving your hook empty most of the time. You can try spinning the prawns, as in keeping it on the move so small fishes can't eat it easily. If you prefer parking, with a float you can try using milkfishes as those chromides don't attack it. (I believe so!)

You also need to pay attention to where are the hot spots in the pond, you'll need to observe the regulars to see where they always fish at and where they cast. With any luck, you can befriends with them and have them tell you the tips and tricks of the pond. It takes time to know the place and timing for best fishing results.

ekkewang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ekkewang »

sigh i already did befrens a few regulars there... i go the spot they say always have fish... but still....~-~!

sigh anyone here has some expert advise for pond fishing?

anyway peace where do u fish???

i didnt wanna do pond fishing ... but i tot always have to start small.. so i decided to pay money and go ponds... tot can get more exp with catching fishes...

peace.. where do u suggest i start fishing with? jetties? or go out to sea on a boat??? st.john? or where?

i have 2 rods... 1 eupro 4'6" and 1 5'6" rod... both with braided lines of 8pds and 10pds respectively... and on reels penn sargus sg2000 and daiwa sweepfire 2000...

zufeeqhar
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Lure fishing , offshore fishing

Post by zufeeqhar »

Try bedok jetty fish for tamban use it for bait but i thing for sure is that there is very little catch there try sembawang if you are lucky even if you venture out to boat fishing you will get fish no depends on the boatmen knowlegde weather time and bait this are crtical points to fish

My advise to you is you have to try over over and over again to even catch a fish be patient do not be dissapointed if you are fishless be motivated to catch even a big one ... I can tell you even if you catch a small fish the feeling is good good luck on ur next fishing trip
Usually its not where you fish but how you fish .

ekkewang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ekkewang »

well... okies... i will for sure continue fishing... i enjoyed it even though i didnt catch anything... but how i wish that i got 1 fish... even if its tiny small i also dun mind! lol

anyway where u guys suggest that i should start fishing? any pay ponds to recommend? or any place that got higher catch rates?

anyway i wanna go to woodlands waterfront and try catching some tambans 1st... but how to do it?

i have read the info on this website and bought my tamban jigs already... bought 2... 1 for 80cents and 1 for 1buck.

so i dun need to hang meat or anything on the hooks of the rig right?

just throw it far out to the sea with the heavy sinker attached at bottom... then wait?

or is it have to play it like artificial lure? slow reel back and throw again??

pls advise thanks alot!

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Hey bro ... I think you are trying too fast to learn too many thing at one time.
From what you mentioned ... you have not tried playing with the easiest bait fish ... tamban.
And have already progressed into pond fishing.
Alright I know you didn't really want to do pond fishing ...
Thinking pond fishing is easy is a big mistake.
Those regular who pull out one fish after another have spend many hours at the ponds.
They paid many school fees liaoz ... :lol:

Salty fishing is never easy with diminishing fish stocks in our local waters.
It ain't that difficult if you are not a choosy anglers.
Cat fish can make me smile from ear to ear ...
Even jigging tamban can be fun for me.

My advise ... learn things one step at a time and enjoy fishing.
Then slowly progress to baiting, luring, surf cast or even offshore.
Make some friends and go fishing together.
Or you can tag along some members here and ask them teach you a trick or two.

I started playing with glass fish.
Spend a whole afternoon under the scorching hot sun ...
A splendid result of 200+ glass fish pulled out from the sea one by one ...
Ask me do that now I say you siao ! lol !
But it's wonderful memories which I treasured.

Btw ... glass fish are peaky bait stealer.
I didn't know they are bait stealer ... :shh:

Have fun learning :grin:

zufeeqhar
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing, Lure fishing , offshore fishing

Post by zufeeqhar »

waterfront is not advisable to go due to poor water conditions what you can do is go to bedok jetty befriends with the regulars catch small size..
fishing takes step by step you cannot rush fishing honestly i too just started fishing middle of last year . .
try setting your mindset to "today im fishing but it does not matter if i get a fish or not i just wanna spend time at the beach" even if you do not catch any fish you feel better . . i myself dare not try pond fishing . as what DBS said try tagging along some of us im sure some of us would want to tag along
cheers
Usually its not where you fish but how you fish .

ekkewang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ekkewang »

okies thanks alot for the advise guys!

hmmm DBS mentioned about playing with tamban?

what does that mean? means i have to go catch some tambans at the beach or jetties 1st? (using sabiki rigs?)

and u mentioned u catch glassfish... how u do it? 200+ omg! so nice! but wad u use to catch them?

and i tot glassfish are freshwater aquarium fishes??? o.0? where u catch them?

thanks!

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Yup, all u have to do is to reach Bedok Jetty at around 5-6am, buy a sabiki rig from a guy called "Jipun"(who rides a bicycle and keep yelling "tamban hook~"), add a 1/2 j sinker and u can start jigging for tambans. Don't worry if you dont know how, just mimick the rest of the people there, observe where they cast and how they jig. Many of them are there to jig tambans. ;)
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

the uncles there are quite friendly :D
just strike a conversation, u'll learn a trick or 2
bjt is where i started my basics

Mr.LURE
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing,handline fishing

Post by Mr.LURE »

maybe its bad luck bah...i fished @ a pay pond for 2 hrs n oso got nothing,i still prefer fishing wild fishes,at least i hav better catch rate on them...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

So many helpful advices here, I think they've said it all. :lol: I just want to say don't rush it through. Learn one thing at a time, slowly and conscientiously. Fishing does take many tries to get it right especially if you're in a new place. Even for Pasir Ris pond, the more expensive Pro pond don't guarantee you fish either.

BJT is a good place to learn because it's free and there's no restriction of time and pace where you can hone your fundamentals. Be it tamban jigging or fighting a big queenfish, each has it's own skills and tricks to it that you can learn. I suggest using apollo rigs with pieces of prawn meat for a start. You will be able to target small to medium sized fishes that aren't too hard to come by.

Good luck!

ekkewang
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by ekkewang »

lol thanks for the advise guys! okies i will go to BJT for tambans! my 1st learning step :)

but... how do i jig the tamban rigs?

so i dun need to hang meat or anything on the hooks of the tamban rig right?

just throw it far out to the sea with the heavy sinker attached at bottom... then wait?

or is it have to play it like artificial lure? slow reel back and throw again??

my rods are very short... dun think can cast very far out leh... need 7 ft rods or longer ???

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Heheehe ... :lol: :lol: :lol: ::x:

Alright alright ...
This is how you do it.
If you targeting the tamban at BJT, best you get a pkt of the jig from the uncle selling them there.
Think is $5 for 3 ... can't remember how much, been a long time since I last went there.
All you need is a rod and reel, attach a swivel to the main line and hook on the jig.
You can also directly tie the jig to your main line ....
Don't need big sinker ... a small one enuff to bring it down into water good enough.

What you do is a direct drop into water or cast slightly out away from the railing if you like.
Careful of structures and pillars as these areas tend to be snaggy.
Move the jig up and down water ... until you feel the ...tug tug tug ...and more tug tug tug.
You know you got tambans !
Try for a full house ... meaning ... every hook comes out with a tamban.
It's a delicacies if you know how to cook them. :drool:

Good luck :clover: