What Braid Line Is Suitable For Pond

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

What Braid Line Is Suitable For Pond

Post by Newguy »

I was thinking of doing 1 Spining reel for pond fish using braided line i came upon this braided line today any suggestion Bors And Pros...

Im Using this shock leader its a surecatch leader:Image

This Is all that i came upon:

Any suggestion is appreciate im playing pond @ pasir ris and actually looking for 6lbs to 20lbs braided line....
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Re: What Braid Line Is Suitable For Pond

Post by sgpu »

your question is too brief.
may i assist by prompting a few more? :D
what do you intend to target? if the pond releases GT or over kilos of grouper, it can really bring you for a 'walk'.
how far do you intend to reach?
how do you intend to fish? yank whatever that is fighting at the other line of your line, or exhausting the fish before landing?

my guess is, no one would want to suggest something else not in your mind wouldn't we?
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Thanks sgpu for the info....

Ok briefly i was targetting GT,Tanda or Any big fish that is in the pond.....
Method will be yanking @ bite and play with the fish till its tired then bringing it in...

Distance will be ard 100 to 200 coz that will be nice... and will be parking the rod rather than reeling it....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Pond anglers can be off very different crowds. Some are there just for the fight, so they use ultralight tackles and play till the fish is dead tired while some just wants some fun and certainly want to bring a fish home. There are different extremes and those who seeks a balance. I'm saying this because the choice of line depends on which your way of fishing and expectations.

100-200 (metres?) is pretty far, I'm not a pond-goer but is there a pond this wide? 0.o Anyway, for such distance a low diameter line will benefit you so compare the brands' diameter vs line strength. Berkley Whiplash has an attractive low diameter (or so it was advertised), you might want to look into that. I personally don't like braided lines that are flat, they get ugly when they starts to twist. If you want something of quality and smoothness, that jigman is probably a good choice. But x8 only comes in heavy lbs.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

Newguy wrote:Thanks sgpu for the info....

Ok briefly i was targetting GT,Tanda or Any big fish that is in the pond.....
nice, ambitious :nod:

Method will be yanking @ bite and play with the fish till its tired then bringing it in...
interesting :) . . . with a reel capable of max 7kg and a reel of 4kg can achieve the same results it all come down to how you do it.

Distance will be ard 100 to 200 coz that will be nice... and will be parking the rod rather than reeling it....
allow me to share my experience with loading of lines to reels. a size 2000 daiwa caldia kix can load max 150m 8lbs fireline with a counter @ hong guan
my guess with 10lbs line a size 2000 daiwa reel, 125yds should load just nice.
caldia kix 3000 14lbs line load about 220m max

i recommend fireline because it is much affordable. @ changi pro, a spool of 125yds or 300yds cost less than $20 and $40 respectively.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Thanks Peace...

As u can see the jig mann X8 is 50lbs and my reel max load is 7kg would it be a good combination for my reel... btw i'm actually using spining not drum so dont get me wrong....

As for playing method its true some pond goer play for the fight of the fish as pond fishes is usually huge than sea....

So Bros And Pros would my Jig Man X8 50lbs would be great for me as wad is been suggested by Peace... would like to hear more comment on braided line as im going to fish on the 25th of this mth...

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

jigman x8 #4
it's break strength is 50lbs definitely suitable for your 7kg/ 14lb max drag reel

but. it is a spool of 300m, unlikely you will be able to laod them all into your reel unless it is a big size like 5000. no doubt jigman aka PE line are very fine :D
comparatively, you won't be able to reach distance with it. the line is heavier and thicker than a 10lbs.

still it would be better to follow the guidelines that are stated on your reel's spool. for example 12lb-165yds or PE 1, 200m etc. this way you can avoid wasting any line. unless you have the intention to load the remaining line in future. :)
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

For YGK, there's also Castman which supposedly made for better casting. You may also want to look into the new powerpro lines that are 8 plaits as well.

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

Wow...jigman is over kill?
In the pond,theres no hurry to bring the fish in quick as the biggest in SG
(pasir ris saltwater paypond) Is navye 50m long?
Whats more, 7kilo drag is good for maybe 20 kilo fish?(max)

Cause the 20kilo fish will strain on 7 kilos.
Anyways, the surecatch braid is good for local use(and the leader too) but if your going to the sea, i suggest powerpro or jigman
Personally, i have used surecatch leaders(60lbs) to fight 20kilo plus fish(pasir ris farmway) with "near" brute force yet, it holds.
So in all, surecatch is the best for you(and your budget!)
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~