punggol park

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

punggolspc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Not that much of a experience angler . Into salt water fishing and freshwater lure fishing.

punggol park

Post by punggolspc »

Is luring at punggol park possible ? Have anyone caught anythingthere by lure before ? And what type and colour of lure are effective ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: punggol park

Post by Peace »

Artificial lures is the only thing allowed there so I guess you don't have much of a choice. ;) I can't give you first hand experience on the place since I've not tried it, there's supposedly lots of cichlids in the pond including peacock bass. They'll take any type of lures, minnows usually work well. I personally don't pay much attention to lure colours, I don't think they make too much of a difference. (maybe that's why I'm a lousy lurer. :lol: ) Working the lure correctly is far more important. :)

punggolspc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Not that much of a experience angler . Into salt water fishing and freshwater lure fishing.

Post by punggolspc »

Work the lure correctly ? Can you eloborate on that ?

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

punggolspc wrote:Work the lure correctly ? Can you eloborate on that ?
No doubt this is a "Ask A Question" section ...
Sometimes, you have to do some home work on your own.
We can provide little clues here and there, solve some urgency question and answer to as much as our experiences can offer.
You have to do some self learning too ...
Even I pin point to the exact spot ... you might not land the fish.

Lure is but another bait, it is not any ordinary bait, it is a plastic/wood/metal, fake !
Fish can see ... though they are like dogs, always hungry.
So you have to WORK your lure to make a big predator (FISH) thinking that this strange wood, metal, or plastic is in fact a living, breathing, swimming prey fish!

Why would they be silly to chase or even bite a lure ?
Coz they thought it is a bait fish. Food !

There are many different lures, am not referring to different brand.
What I mean is there are different types of lures like top water lures, mid water lures, divers, deep divers etc ...
The list goes on ...

Their use, the targeted species and action of each different lures are all different.
It will be good to do some read up on your own part.
And hands on is the best way to find out and understand luring.
This is gonna be a long term learning and takes lots of patience and practices.
We our self after years of fishing are still learning from one another ...
Trying our very best to trick the fishes. :lol:

Ooh ... and don't ask us where to find information about lures and their action.
Ask GOOGLE.
There is plenty to read, learn and find out with a click of the mouse. ;)

weaver
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure Fishing,offshore fishing and prawning

Post by weaver »

i don't think people lure punggol park waters(as i near there),i notice that people intend to use bread or live baits..like goldfish or red moillies..people there are always aimming for crayfish or the soon hock..there are no more peacock bass already :cry: people there do not practice catch n release..
maybe you go to see punggol park first..they don't lure..weird..
oh ya i heard there got one very big catfish..but i never seen it before..
good luck fishing in punggol park :lol:

punggolspc
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by punggolspc »

Dbs : thanks you for your information . I will be glad to search at google for more info . Thanks you once again :D

Weaver: hard to catch with lure?! Man ! I wana try the river behind punggol park but no fishing. I scared park ranger catch me but always see people fish there but not lure fishing

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

There are plenty of legal fishing grounds ... why do you have to risk playing hide and seek with the park rangers ?

Alright, here's another spot you can try salt water luring ... punggol end beach !

Here's the place ...

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4433

Since you can visit punggol park, just slightly further down with a bus ride will bring you to Punggol end beach.
It's still a legal ground so go fish there before it's officially "No Fishing Allowed".
Notice those black boulders ?

When there is structures, means there is place for fish to hide ...
That's where they are !

Another last hint ... get a pro hunter lure, black or the white body pinky head.
It's a floating lure so chances of it being sangkot is lower.

That pinky head can be used day or night, equally powerful if you work it right.
Good luck ~ :clover:

weaver
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure Fishing,offshore fishing and prawning

Post by weaver »

eh you want to fish at the lonkang the big lokang?you need earthworms..or else you will lose to the old uncles there..there is you mostly catch tilapa..no peacock bass there..so no need use lure ;)
you wan go punggol end take bus 82..and change at the innerchange now 82 no more straight to punggol end le.. :)

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

If your tackle is light or ultralight tackle, you can try those fishing lures from Daiso departmental stores. It is cheap, but the trebles will rust very fast in saltwater. Freshwater is less corrosive, so maybe can last longer if you take care to dry it properly after each trip. I use the fat one and the minnow gold colour one, but very light weight, can't cast far.
You can also try to spin fly or use a poppers for a start. Lure fishing is not as easy as using earthworms. If possible, you can try observe some lurers when they are fishing.

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

Post by ping »

There are still some small peacock bass lurking there, usually the reeds area. Spinning fly is the best way to get them.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

How you work the lure depends on what type you're using. If you read SGPU's luring catch reports, you'll notice that he actually states how he works the lure. :nod: That's a nice Peacock Bass on spinfly, Ping. Can you share with us how you work the fly?

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:How you work the lure depends on what type you're using. If you read SGPU's luring catch reports, you'll notice that he actually states how he works the lure. :nod: That's a nice Peacock Bass on spinfly, Ping. Can you share with us how you work the fly?
Thanks Peace, yeah I am sharing my little spin fly experience at viewtopic.php?p=18829#p18829
All info sharing, comments, advices and suggestions on spin fly are welcome.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Just read it and it's very informative. :thumbsup:

Oswald
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Fishing for life

Post by Oswald »

Hey guys anyone interested in going there with me later on? Contact me ASAP 96458654