You know you've got the fishing bug bad if...

This is where we discuss about the current ongoings in the fishing community such as news, events or general fishing topics.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

synderella
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Fishing, Lure Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Prawning

Post by synderella »

Heheh came across this when I was searching for a good kelong to take my boyfriend to for his upcoming birthday... Thought it'll be a hoot to share with everyone. :D
1. You reason that a 90 percent chance of severe thunderstorms actually means that there is a 10 percent chance of having really excellent fishing weather.
2. Your car is full of Shimano, Daiwa, Rapala and Penn product stickers.
3. Your spouse has to drag you out of bed at 8 a.m. to go to work, but you can wake up at 4:30 a.m. on weekends without an alarm clock.
4. Someone says they have had a real tragedy in the family and you think they broke their Shimano or Penn Reels
5. Your live prawns bait cost more than your lunch
6. You have more nicks and cuts on your hands - from fishhooks, fish spines and filleting - than someone who hand-captures snakes for a living.
7. You have more than 20 of any one lure in the same color.
8. Your hair still has a hat dent in it even after you shampoo and blow dry.
9. Your cat likes hanging out with you because of your body smell.
10. You look back over the last month and realize that you have taken more photos of your prized catch than you have of your spouse for the whole year!
11. You have dogs or kids named Shimano, Rapala or Daiwa.
12. You have considered becoming a teacher so you can fish every day during the long school holidays
13. You have more fishing rods than socks or underwear without holes in them.
14. Your idea for the honeymoon cruise was a weeklong boat fishing excursion in paradise Maldives with 25 other anglers.
15. You can tie multiply fish hooks when drunk and blindfolded but your shirt tie knot looks like a snake that ate a gopher.
16. Your outboard motor goes in for a preventive checkup more often than you do.
17. You have a yardstick tattooed on your arm that highlights various fish identifications.
18. You've eaten so many fish that have mercury in them you can tell the temperature without a thermometer.
19. Your spouse says "It's either me or fishing" and your reply is a prolonged humming sound.
20. And lastly, fishing has been a family tradition for years and you are planning on passing it on to the next generation.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: You know you've got the fishing bug bad if...

Post by dBs™ »

Hi synderella ... welcome to our tiny community of HLF ! :yay:

That's one very interesting n humorous posting ... I cannot stop laughing at myself. :lol:

Thanks for sharing it with us. ;)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Haha, I'm sure I'm not exempted from some of the things on that list. :o I have a friend who could never sleep the night before an offshore trip even after several trips, then he end up sleepy on the day itself and gets seasick. :lol:

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

Wah ... beri extreme ... Kakakak but hor ... my angie jie jie and me qualify for some of the items liao ... Kakakakakakka ... we not 20 lures of same colour .. but more than 20 lures of same colours wakakakakkakakakakakakaka.

Pertaining to No. 19 hor ... I think my reply shall be ... "Nothing shall get between me and my Cuttlefish ! Most likely it should be my Cuttlefish !"

synderella
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Fishing, Lure Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Prawning

Post by synderella »

Thanks for the warm welcome Angelfishing!

Glad to hear that the joke was enjoyed by all. I thought it was too damn funny to not share. :lol: Plus, we're all secretly checking ourselves to see if we fall in any of the categories!

Peace - aiyooooooo your friend... Wasted leh... Seasickness sucks too.. Speaking of offshore trips, I'm looking at finding an offshore fishing trip for Saturday 23 February and at my side I can confirm AT LEAST 5 people already. We're looking at a day trip and my original idea was to surprise my boyfriend with an offshore trip for his birthday :cake: but I think all fully booked liao :cry: so disappointing. But does anyone reading this thread have any lobang for that day? I'm really praying for a miracle now...

Tere - sounds like an interesting story behind your little cuttlefish reference there...

N.B. By now you can tell that I've given up on the idea of taking him to a kelong since the rest of the party would prefer local offshore day time fishing. Prays reaaaaaaal hard...

As for which of the below relates to me (and my bf):
1. You reason that a 90 percent chance of severe thunderstorms actually means that there is a 10 percent chance of having really excellent fishing weather.
We actually entertained this idea once before. Ok, more than once. We even hid under the shade at Yishun Jetty amidst a torrential thunderstorm. Then continued fishing.

2. Your car is full of Shimano, Daiwa, Rapala and Penn product stickers.
No lah, but who's to say that when we do get our own car that won't happen? I'm already surfing for decals like "my other car is a boat", you know, cliche stuff like that but you giggle when you see it, and get filled with a sense of inexplicable pride (even though you don't even known a boat)

3. Your spouse has to drag you out of bed at 8 a.m. to go to work, but you can wake up at 4:30 a.m. on weekends without an alarm clock.
Oh hell yes - I can so relate to this one. I'm not even going to go there...

4. Someone says they have had a real tragedy in the family and you think they broke their Shimano or Penn Reels
Er no lah - not that bad lah.

5. Your live prawns bait cost more than your lunch
Unfortunately, yes...

6. You have more nicks and cuts on your hands - from fishhooks, fish spines and filleting - than someone who hand-captures snakes for a living.
No lahhhhhhh wear gloves mah *pengsan* hahahahha

7. You have more than 20 of any one lure in the same color.
We're currently expanding our collection, stay tuned for updates. ;)

8. Your hair still has a hat dent in it even after you shampoo and blow dry.
Hats? What hats....

9. Your cat likes hanging out with you because of your body smell.
I don't own a cat, but the cat at Pasir Ris pay pond sure likes us alright...

10. You look back over the last month and realize that you have taken more photos of your prized catch than you have of your spouse for the whole year!
*thinks for awhile* no lahhhhhhhh... eh wait ar... er.. no lahhhhhhhhh...

11. You have dogs or kids named Shimano, Rapala or Daiwa.
That's just wrong...

12. You have considered becoming a teacher so you can fish every day during the long school holidays
I hadn't really thought about that until I read this point... And actually dedicated about 10 seconds of my life, entertaining the idea... How sad...

13. You have more fishing rods than socks or underwear without holes in them.
I'm a woman, so this point form - erm - doesn't apply to me at all. hmmmm no lah this point also not applicable to him.

14. Your idea for the honeymoon cruise was a weeklong boat fishing excursion in paradise Maldives with 25 other anglers.
OMG, we have actually discussed this and wondered about whether or not some people actually do that!

15. You can tie multiply fish hooks when drunk and blindfolded but your shirt tie knot looks like a snake that ate a gopher.
No lah - we're not that hard core...

16. Your outboard motor goes in for a preventive checkup more often than you do.
Quite possibly true if we did own one...

17. You have a yardstick tattooed on your arm that highlights various fish identifications.
Hmmmmm that would be quite useful though....

18. You've eaten so many fish that have mercury in them you can tell the temperature without a thermometer.
Wah - how useful. Especially when you can just so quickly tell people "today water cold lah"

19. Your spouse says "It's either me or fishing" and your reply is a prolonged humming sound.
If this does happen *soaks parang into salt water for optimum rust level for maximum damage*

20. And lastly, fishing has been a family tradition for years and you are planning on passing it on to the next generation.
HELL YES! What are you saying? There's no option... haahhah
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Charters on weekends have to be booked early especially for popular boatman. You can try from a more extensive list at [this thread from FNR] if you haven't already done so. If all else fail, you might want to settle for island fishing such has Ubin or St John's. Renting a boat from marina might be an option too but you need someone in your group who can pilot the craft and familiar with the area.
We actually entertained this idea once before. Ok, more than once. We even hid under the shade at Yishun Jetty amidst a torrential thunderstorm. Then continued fishing.
I must admit I did that quite a few times myself, sometimes without a poncho...fishing and shivering at the same time. Thinking back, I laugh at myself for being so silly...it was like twice out of ten times I actually caught something braving the rain. :lol:
Your spouse has to drag you out of bed at 8 a.m. to go to work, but you can wake up at 4:30 a.m. on weekends without an alarm clock.
When it comes to fishing, I can sure wake up early but I always make a point to sleep a little early the night before to make sure I'm at my best to fish the next day :D
Your live prawns bait cost more than your lunch
Live prawns usually cost more than my lunch too, especially if I know I need them to target for fishes like chermins. And in the end, it was like I used over a kg of prawns over several trips before I actually landed one, what a costly chermin! :lol:
You have more nicks and cuts on your hands - from fishhooks, fish spines and filleting - than someone who hand-captures snakes for a living.
This is very true for me in the past when I actively use thin handlines barehanded. I easily get line cuts from pulling fishes and snags and it was even worse during rainy days. I'm also in the habit of handling fishing barehanded as it is faster and less of a hassle. Of course I get cuts from fishes every now and then but they were nothing that can't be healed in a week.
You look back over the last month and realize that you have taken more photos of your prized catch than you have of your spouse for the whole year!
lol, this one must be true for me at least about the uncountable photos I have on fishes but mostly because I need them for HLF use. I actually would prefer spending those times continuing fishing instead of snapping, but more snapping means more to look at to help you get through the week. ;)

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

You try getting the cuttie / squiddy poison from Angie jie jie and Aunty Jess. U see how you end up ...

Die ... Think next round will be Angie and friends visit Malaysia Squiddy Haven after the monsoon season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

Tere wrote:You try getting the cuttie / squiddy poison from Angie jie jie and Aunty Jess. U see how you end up ...

Die ... Think next round will be Angie and friends visit Malaysia Squiddy Haven after the monsoon season. :lol: :lol: :lol:
dun say liao lah ...:( :lol: :lol:

thanx for sharing ! Synderella......:)
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Hey synderella,

Thanks for sharing ... had a good laugh at some of the lines .. here's my contribution (I got from a friend) ... lets see which lines relates to you all: -

1)The most important aspect of any fishing trip is the company, not the venue or the result.

2)Live bait is more preferable than artificial ones - and usually more effective.

3)You must be prepared to lose some expensive lures.

4)Anglers don't get older - they just get odder.

5)Baits in the water should be 'refreshed' after 20mins at the most.

6)The most wonderful sound on earth is the screeching of your reel indicating a big bite.

7)Your friend will always be the first one to notice the twitching of your rod when a fish bite.

8)There's nothing like a cold beer to go with a meal on a fishing trip.

9)No matter how much time you spend to pack your gear,you always find that you have forgotten something while you're in the middle of your trip.

10)You must not make too much of a fuss when you catch the biggest fish - unless the others are also pulling up whoppers.

11)A lousy day on a fishing trip beats a good day at work anytime.

12)Age doesn't bring wisdom but it always brings out lots of tall tales from anglers.

13)Life is full of lessons,frustrations and challenges - but more so if you're an angler.

14)You seldom catch the fish you targeted - and almost never the size you desire.

15)You usually catch the big ones when you use light tackle - and small ones on heavy tackle.

16)A real fishing buddy is the one who has the landing net ready when you are reeling in your big one.

17)Your biggest handicap to sportfishing is your wife.

18)No matter how big your catch is, someone will always have had a bigger one that got away.

19)Distance has nothing to do with sizes: the further the trip takes does not mean the bigger catch.

20)Always clean your rods and reels after each trip - and check them before setting out for next trip.