Forest Trekking II

This forum is dedicated towards nature appreciation. Share nature related pictures such as sunsets, landscape, plants and animals or interesting things you see during your fishing trips.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Forest Trekking II

Post by Peace »

I'm back to some jungle action again, and this time with interesting sightings. :grin:

My first encounter with a young Wagler's Pit Viper. It's resting just beside a narrow trail with vegetation at knee level. I stopped just 3 feet before the snake, I would have grazed against the it if I hadn't stop. :sweatdrop:

An Elegant Bronzeback

Shot this Earless Agamid, I've seen this lizard a couple of times but never managed to photograph it. It has very nice blue eyes.

Trekking in the middle of the trail I spotted a group of wild boars approaching my direction. They didn't detect my presence for awhile, perhaps the wind was against me. I actually had time to dig out my camera from the bag, too bad I forgot to zoom before I started recording. :lol:

The last surprise is a big tarantula, and it's bigger than the one I saw the other time. The body is about 3 inches and it's carrying an egg sac, standing motionlessly in the middle of a wide trail. Even so I'm kind of edgy taking pictures of this tarantula ever since the last one ran across my hand. 0.o

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: Forest Trekking II

Post by dBs™ »

Your adventures are getting dangerous ! :sweatdrop:

Wild boar ... big tee tu ... green snake and poisonous eh ! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

What's next on your discovery list ?

Dinosaurs ? :lol:

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

Wow ... Peace trying to combat dBs's Greenies with Green Pit Viper ! :lol:

Ya Ya Peace ... Confirm dBs don't dare to go snap de ... Wahahahahaah NICE NICE NICE

The Viper is in standby mode le ... you becareful ah.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Tere wrote:Wow ... Peace trying to combat dBs's Greenies with Green Pit Viper ! :lol:

Ya Ya Peace ... Confirm dBs don't dare to go snap de ... Wahahahahaah NICE NICE NICE

The Viper is in standby mode le ... you becareful ah.
Of course I won't dare ... look at that triangular face with the evil smile ! :confused:

My greeny so gentle and friendly de ... green green so pretty ...

Look at that viper ... got red and white spot eh !
I scare !!!!!!!!
Remember I said before ... colourful snakes ... stay away !
Now I got another rule of thumb ... triangular head snake ...also STAY AWAY ! :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I think the snake stayed in that position for a very long time already. When I came back on the same route 3 hours later, it was still there. I got a little creeped out after a close call with the snake and spider, I think a certain lorry was waiting for me to go up that day. :lol:

Yes, it's a good rule of thumb is to stay away from snakes with triangular head and those pretty ones. Tread carefully if you go into the long grass, don't just keep your eye on your beautiful whip snake. ;)

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by Tere »

Poor Wild Boar ... The wild boar's reaction from the video seems like ... *Walk Walk Walk* *Uh???* "AAHHHHH !!!!! HELP !!!!! GUI AHHH !!!!!"

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Tere wrote:Poor Wild Boar ... The wild boar's reaction from the video seems like ... *Walk Walk Walk* *Uh???* "AAHHHHH !!!!! HELP !!!!! GUI AHHH !!!!!"
I was sipping my cup og morning coffee and reading this ...

almost spill my screen with kopi ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes ... I agreed ... the piggy must have lao tsee sai ... tio kiah. lol !

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Peace wrote:Yes, it's a good rule of thumb is to stay away from snakes with triangular head and those pretty ones. Tread carefully if you go into the long grass, don't just keep your eye on your beautiful whip snake. ;)
I used to concentrate on the grounds rather than up the tree ...
trying to spot any other S creatures other than the green ones ... :sweatdrop:
It's like your heart throbbing fast and almost at the brim of your mouth ...
Scare to find yet ... and wish to spot one ...
Till to day ... hianz ...it's still the 青色记! :o

Won't have time to go play with my greeny for now ...
Busy bringing up birds from the sea ... :mischieve:

You have fun in your little paradise ... don't find your way to heaven so soon ah ...
Life will be boring with you ... lol ! ::x:

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by Tere »

Wahahah. Alley cannot Up The Lorry so fast one. We don't want to make the Tribute to Alleycat like the Crocodile Hunter like that hor.

By the way, Alley, that Viper is in strike mode le. If you look around, you should see some little mouse or something around. The fella looks hungry yet the stupid cat seems too big for it to swallow. Hee Hee Hee.

Jie Jie, you bringing up small birds into Big Birds ah? :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Wild boars heightened sense of smell, they usually detect you before you can see them unless you're quiet or in the tail wind. I often encounter them but never had a chance to have a good look at them. They're nothing like the Priscilla I heard so much about. :(

I'm actually very kiasi when I go trekking, I will bring extra drinking water, a torch and plan extra time for turning back. Keeping focus on the trail is a good thing but my eyes will get tired after a long trek. Some dangers are hard to ward against, but I believe if it's your time to go, the lorry can be anywhere waiting for you. :lol:

I will be more careful, thanks for the concern guys. :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

No more dangerous stuff to see today, I guess that's not a bad thing too. :) An exploration on new trails today is refreshing, it opens up to more places for me to observe, especially small streams.

A forest flatworm among the leaf litter

This little insect is pretty interesting, I spotted in a stream I was observing. It sandwiches itself between two small leaves which are weaved together and it looks very flat much like a single piece from above.

Durians I picked that today, and they're not even the size of a rambutan. :o

A cluster of green narrow-lid pitchers.

Upon observing some new streams, I chance upon this species of crab I've not seen at other streams. This type of species are supposedly more terrestrial. It has big eyes, probably geosesarma sp.

This spot looks good for fishing ya. ;)

I encountered a school of tomans feeding today, good thing they weren't spooked so I could get a close shot at them. The mommy toman appeared twice in the video, see if you can spot it. :D

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Hey ... the toman video was a good one ! :thumbsup:

I have never personally seen a toman school this close ...
The way they swim ... so nice.
I spotted the mama. :nod:

Thanks for sharing this one and I love to take a dip in the little stream ...
Just hope there is no monster lurking in it...
those green coloured monster we see in movies. :lol:

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

DBS dun go skin swimming ok! wahahahah ...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Took a long break from hiking, time to get back on the track. :D I saw some interesting critters today, one of which is the Asian Forest Scorpion. It's my first sighting on this species, it's big, black and had a shiny armor. It was surprisingly passive too.

I must have been too fatigued from the walking and rain that I totally missed a small pit viper in the middle of trail on my way back. I was just one step from stomping it when the viper lunged towards me, I leaped backwards but I knew it was too late. But somehow the viper missed me at this close proximity, perhaps it was just a warning aggression or maybe I was just too lucky. This has got to be one of my closest call by far. :sweatdrop:

A bunch of colourful fruits.

A snail of a tree bark.

A stick insect hiding under a leaf.

Asian Forest Scorpion.

Video of the scorpion taking a walk, nothing interesting though.

The good old crabbies are still doing well, spotted several of them.

Parents of this bunch of forest snakehead guarding their fries vigilantly, I saw it chase away a forest catfish that swam too close to its fries. (Those in the red circle are the newborn forest snakehead)

Video of the forest snakehead

The juvenile Wrangler's Pit Viper.

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by Tere »

I bet you focus liao then quickly ran for cover while cam was on the POD. :lol: