Lethal Bug lives in seawater and on marine creatures

This forum is dedicated towards nature appreciation. Share nature related pictures such as sunsets, landscape, plants and animals or interesting things you see during your fishing trips.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Lethal Bug lives in seawater and on marine creatures

Post by desleyhan »

Extracted from Straits Times 25th Mar 2007

There are several thousand different types of flesh-eating bacteria known to scientists and doctors.

One of the most lethal, Vibrio, lives in warm seawater and on marine creatures such as crabs, prawns, clams and mussels.

The more common ones are Streptococcus, Clostridial and Staphylococcus.

Flesh-eating bugs cause necrotising fasciitis, which means the decaying of the skin.

The National Necrotising Fasciitis Foundation in the United States estimates that there are between 500 to 1,500 such cases a year.

In June 2001, national serviceman Chua Ya Ta (below) died of a very rare bacterial infection, which later led to a re-opened coroner's inquiry and a lawsuit against doctors and hospital.

The 23 yrs old died from streptococcal myositis, a viral infection so rare there have only been 21 cases over 85 years in the US.

Last September, a 10 yrs old girl also died from a flesh-eating baxcteria, although it is not clear what the bacteria was.

A coroner's inquiry will be conducted into Noni's death

Also on the same page of the newspaper, is an 83 yrs old who died within 48 hrs of being pricked by a live mud crab from Indonesia which he was preparing for lunch.

My only advice to all is to use gloves or place cloth on fishes caught while taking off hooks. And always handle live prawns with care as not to have our hands pricked while using them as baits. You wouldn't know what'll happen. And if you are pricked with any sea creature on your fishing adventure, feeling feverish, having diarrhoea and vommiting ... See a doctor!

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

good info sharing , appreciate this post! :thumbsup:
but shud not belong to life by the water imho ..hehehe
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

ohh i read this newspaper article before.... quite sad to see people get infected cause of sea related stuff........
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't follow the story but did the guy died from a bacterial or viral infection? The article is a little confusing. At least this should scare me from flipping rocks and digging for worms. :lol: I really should be more careful from now on. :)

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Peace wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I didn't follow the story but did the guy died from a bacterial or viral infection? The article is a little confusing. At least this should scare me from flipping rocks and digging for worms. :lol: I really should be more careful from now on. :)
Oh Yes he died ... 2 days after his arm was amputated

These calamaties can happen in our fishing community as well ... better be extra careful :nod:

redsnapper
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by redsnapper »

desleyhan wrote:
Peace wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I didn't follow the story but did the guy died from a bacterial or viral infection? The article is a little confusing. At least this should scare me from flipping rocks and digging for worms. :lol: I really should be more careful from now on. :)
Oh Yes he died ... 2 days after his arm was amputated

These calamaties can happen in our fishing community as well ... better be extra careful :nod:
Can't remember the number of times I was cut during fishing, so guess
must be pretty lucky not to had contract this infection. :shocked:

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

i think that as long as you are carefull and dun let anything sting or bite u, u should be ok.......
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Re: Lethal Bug lives in seawater and on marine creatures

Post by limfish »

if u are bitten/stung use disinfectant/dettol sanitizer and bye bye germs
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~