Mudflat Exploration

This forum is dedicated towards nature appreciation. Share nature related pictures such as sunsets, landscape, plants and animals or interesting things you see during your fishing trips.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Mudflat Exploration

Post by Peace »

My exploration trip today goes to a swampy shoreline, trekking onto the mudflat on low tide. The place is pretty big and I didn't have time to cover all the areas. Got to go back there another day. ;)

Here's some crabs I saw today:

A crab with red claws pointing inwards

A smaller crab with a lunic shaped claw

A pretty big porcelain crab

A forceps crab, related to the thunder crab

A pair of flower crabs copulating

Now for some prawns....

This prawn is very common there, infact anywhere. Not quite sure of its name though. Is it an estuarine prawn?

I dug under a rock and found this little shrimp...I believe it's called a ghost shrimp. The walls of its burrow is very smooth, and it's a powerful digger. I can feel it when it tries to dig in between my fingers. :mischieve: Another interesting observation is that it doesn't seem to like water. I tried placing it into the water, but it keeps climbing back onto the shore on dry land.

I saw quite a few peh chee too but they're hard to catch with my small scoop net, I finally managed to catch the smaller ones. The place looks pretty good for netcasting. :eyebrow:

I also caught this tiny shrimp (~2cm) that looks a lot like those small shrimps we used for fishing (Heh Beoh). It has interesting right angled feelers. :grin:

Collected a few snails as well, these are those 'zut zut' we can eat from hawker centres ya?

Lots of discarded clam shells from a someone's feast :D. These clams are big.

Here's some pics of the place to share with, but don't ask me where is this. I don't fish there myself. :grin:

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

where is this place, look like ubin ? that ghost shrimp look like a baby mantis shrimp when grow big

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I can't tell you the exact location, but it's somewhere up north on the mainland. ;) That ghost shrimp's body does look like a mantis shrimps but the head, eyes and claws are all different. This ghost shrimp has arms built for digging while the mantis shrimp's arm is built for snapping preys.

Image Image

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

thanks for your infd

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

Ghost shrimp sounds eerie enough for mi :shocked:
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

Hi peace, another greats series :thumbsup:
Have read that Porcelain crabs are not true crabs. they have 10 legs. :lol:
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

10 legs?!?!?! thats like 2 more than an octupus !!!!! that should be some awesome crab.....
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe