What Bird Is This

This forum is dedicated towards nature appreciation. Share nature related pictures such as sunsets, landscape, plants and animals or interesting things you see during your fishing trips.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

raspiritz
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Long Rod, Short Rod & Boat Rod

What Bird Is This

Post by raspiritz »

i am not a photo grapher like you guys but saw this very interesting bird near my office in Chinatown so just thought of sharing with you guys =)

Photo not too clear as taken from mobile phone

so what bird is this??

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: What Bird Is This

Post by Peace »

Interesting sighting, thanks for sharing the pic. :) I'm not a birder but I it kind of looks like a Black Bittern (Dupetor flavicollis). What is it doing there, it seem so out of place for it to be there as they usually hang out near water bodies. Does it seem injured?

raspiritz
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by raspiritz »

Peace wrote:Interesting sighting, thanks for sharing the pic. :) I'm not a birder but I it kind of looks like a Black Bittern (Dupetor flavicollis). What is it doing there, it seem so out of place for it to be there as they usually hang out near water bodies. Does it seem injured?
Yes... it seems injured and very lost... couldn't get too close as it keeps walking away.
and there is some food on the floor so I assume its eating on it so I did not want to disturb it, took a picture and went to work
was actually thinking did someone "let go" the poor bird..... if you get what i mean :(

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

raspiritz wrote:Yes... it seems injured and very lost... couldn't get too close as it keeps walking away.
and there is some food on the floor so I assume its eating on it so I did not want to disturb it, took a picture and went to work
was actually thinking did someone "let go" the poor bird..... if you get what i mean :(
Hope the bird is alright, I'm not sure what can be done to help out an injured bird. Last time I tried to help an injured, I couldn't get any pros to help, the vet told me the bird will have to be put down anyway in the hands of authority. :cry:

raspiritz
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by raspiritz »

Peace wrote:
raspiritz wrote:Yes... it seems injured and very lost... couldn't get too close as it keeps walking away.
Hope the bird is alright, I'm not sure what can be done to help out an injured bird. Last time I tried to help an injured, I couldn't get any pros to help, the vet told me the bird will have to be put down anyway in the hands of authority. :cry:
actually... I feel that if its not those kind of normal birds that we see everyday on the road, its better to bring to the zoo rather than vets... some vets just couldn't be bothered....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I think you'll have to get a 'rare' species to really get their attention. Bitterns are actually very common in Singapore, but I suppose the black one is uncommon. The vet I saw was really nice to me though, didn't charge me for the consultation. :o I passed the bird to a birding friend to take care, but unfortunately the bird refuse to feed and died a few days later.

Did you happen to see the bird again today?

raspiritz
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by raspiritz »

Peace wrote:I think you'll have to get a 'rare' species to really get their attention. Bitterns are actually very common in Singapore, but I suppose the black one is uncommon. The vet I saw was really nice to me though, didn't charge me for the consultation. :o I passed the bird to a birding friend to take care, but unfortunately the bird refuse to feed and died a few days later.

Did you happen to see the bird again today?
nope, me actually saw the bird on Tuesday but I posted it only on Wednesday, didn't see the bird after that fateful morning
Maybe it has return home hopefully =)