Monkey Business In Reservoirs

This forum is dedicated towards nature appreciation. Share nature related pictures such as sunsets, landscape, plants and animals or interesting things you see during your fishing trips.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Monkey Business In Reservoirs

Post by Tere »

There hasn't been much discussions lately. Lets see ... I came across an article in the papers today with regards to this a/m issue.

Here's the article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home > Most Read Stories
Dec 30, 2007
Monkey business at reservoir continues
By Arti Mulchand
THERE are fines, heaps of signs, and numerous reports about monkeys attacking and feeders and picnicking families for food.
Yet many park-goers are oblivious, and seem to think the National Parks Board is monkeying around when it tells them not to feed the primates that call the reserves around Macritchie and Pierce reservoirs home.

On Sunday, barely five metres from a sign asking visitors to 'Stop feeding the monkeys... Fine $250' at Lower Pierce Reservoir, engineer Joseph Ng hung out with his sister, young niece and nephew, and maid, armed with a bag of bananas and small mandarin oranges.

Within seconds, he was surrounded by at least 15 fiesty long-tailed macaques, demanding to be fed, with yet more bounding over.

This, just a day after this newspaper reported that monkey-feeders were to blame for a horde of monkeys attacking a food-bearing pregnant lady and her toddler.

'It's just a way to entertain the kids... It's only natural for us to feed them,' he said, adding that he did not know feeding the monkeys was an offence. The sign he thought, was just a poster, and the 'fine is too small to read'.

'I didn't see it,' he declared, adamant.

So far this year, 151 people have been caught red-handed and fined. NParks may also up its fine, and rope in security companies to nab more culprits.

Mr Ng was among braver feeders - scores of other park goers were spotted throwing everything from fruit and potato chips to empty crisp packets to the scores of monkeys waiting on the road side from the safety of their cars.

But just as Mr Ng stated that he knew of the danger - and therefore just was more watchful of the primates - a cheeky long-tailed individual jumped up, twice ripping the red plastic bag he was clutching to free the rest of the treats.

According to the experts, feeding the monkeys changes their dietary habits and makes them aggressive when they are denied food.

They search for food outside the forest, recognise vehicles and plastic bags as potential food containers, and often end up invading homes around the nature reserves.

Read the full report in Monday's edition of The Straits Times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Monkey Business In Reservoirs

Post by Peace »

People are supposed to be smarter than monkeys and yet they never learn...or maybe they just don't want to. Feeding them might be fun but it'll go out of hand someday and seriously hurt someone. Even then, I don't think it'll stop people from feeding them. :lol:

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

Peace wrote:People are supposed to be smarter than monkeys and yet they never learn...or maybe they just don't want to. Feeding them might be fun but it'll go out of hand someday and seriously hurt someone. Even then, I don't think it'll stop people from feeding them. :lol:
Human's foolish act of being "compassionate" are ruining the rules of nature ... Monkeys eating chips ... who will think of it ...

Wait till one day they get bitten by Monkeys and get rabbies wahahhahahaha. Die feeders Die !!!

Stupid monkey bit Peacy's bike seats as well.

airman
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by airman »

recently i was at mandai legal fishing ground, wanted to lure but i saw alot of monkey father, mother, son, daughter, grandparent too. as i had bad experience with monkeys cos they snatch away my 2 packet of bread & inside got $$$ too. back to the story, i saw an uncle feeding the monkeys with apples, oranges, water-melon, durians & HUAT KUAY.
I counted at least more then a dozen of monkey is there. jus when i was abt to drink my coffee, a car hit a small monkey. hit & run, monkey die on the spot(feel sad for the small monkey) :cry: , i say my prayer before i leave. the rest of the monkey jus watch & carry on eating their free lunch.
I really hope that people will stop feeding the monkey. if something happen, confirm will have complains & we will be able read it in the papers MONKEY ATTACK PASSERBY. people will say garmen never stop people from feeding the monkeys etc....
blame it on the people who feed them, dun blame the garmen for not doing anything. :rant:

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

Tell you wht screw the **** of the mokey feeders
In africa , feeding the mokeys almost cuased a baby to be snachet
If one more ******* monkey come i will slit its thoart with a butter knife
juz kidding
limfish
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~