Oriental Whip Snake

This forum is dedicated towards nature appreciation. Share nature related pictures such as sunsets, landscape, plants and animals or interesting things you see during your fishing trips.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Re: Oriental Whip Snake

Post by teamilk »

very nice close-up shots of greenie!
i've actually encountered this snake before, during my army times.
my SSG was line-fishing at one of the sewer holes (seletar camp, btw) when he spotted this greenie. he wanted to catch it with his bare hands but it bit him instead. i was like :shocked: "are you ok staff???" he was calm and said "dont worry, no poison" den he went to the water point, washed his wound n just let it heal. apparantly he told me it was just a bite and no poison...im not sure though but i trusted him cos hes still alive. lol

for the records, my SSG catches cobras and pythons in my camp. (hes well known for it and yes, there are cobras and pythons in my camp) lol
oh ya, he also fishes. but handline fishing. he uses all types of bait. there was once he caught a house lizard and used as bait, and he caught a soon hock. -_-" how he did it, i really dont know. lol
btw i wasnt into fishing that time.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

The greeny does have venom, but it's very mild. Despite so, I wouldn't want to see myself handling one. :lol: I have had used house lizard as bait before and caught a haruan, but that was a long time back. I guess they will whack anything that moves on water.

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

lol...i guess my SSG was not scared of it. in fact his whole family doesnt seem to be scared of snakes. once i went to his house during CNY and his little daughter, about 5yrs old? was playing with greenie. -_-"
oooh...seems like house lizards are good too eh...never knew that....just a waste that im kinda freaked out by them. if not i could have saved on bait money. LOL.
imagine bringing a bait box of lizards. how nice. lol

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Snakeheads are very watchful of critters that fall into water. Insects, lizards, frogs fall/swim into the water every now and then and become food for them. Giant snakeheads (tomans) can have a bigger appetite and take on ducklings. As for snakes, it's best to avoid them especially those with triangular heads, those don't stand down easily. I've been bitten by changeable lizards and tortoises to the point of bleeding, but never a snake. Let's hope it stays that way... :lol:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Oooo .... my greeny !

wonder how are they now ... maybe migrated le ...
hope to find time and go play with them ... soon .... :p

Tere
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Egi<Squid<Sotong

Post by Tere »

Have you trained Scotty and Junior to hunt for snakes yet? Hurry get on with training first. :lol:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Believe me, dog with worms has already gotten dBs to pull out some of her hair. I wonder what snakes will do to her...:shocked:

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Peace wrote:Believe me, dog with worms has already gotten dBs to pull out some of her hair. I wonder what snakes will do to her...:shocked:
Hmmm ... I wonder how I will react should Junior come running towards me with a greeny in his mouth ! :shocked:

Mathias de fish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Any type of fishing

Post by Mathias de fish »

I saw 1 in pulau ubin :)