Mayan Cichild

Share moments of you and your lovely pets here.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Mayan Cichild

Post by Newguy »

I caught a Mayan Cichild yesterday nite on my fishing trip and bought it home so I wonder wad to feed my pb coz I give dead prawn and bread the fella nvr eat.....
Last edited by Newguy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: What do PB eat

Post by Peace »

It'll eat the prawns, it's just not quite adjusted to the new environment and recovering from the trauma having to be fished out of the water by you. Give it a few days and it will eat. Putting it in a dark corner will help calm the fish down, some live food will encourage it to get its appetite back quickly. Like a small frog for example. :mischieve:

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Mayan Cichild

Post by Newguy »

Ok sorry guys it's actually a mayan cichild..

Ok im puting it in a small tank in my room which hardly switch on the light...

My next question will be can I turn off the pump I'm using for awhile let's said from 1am to 11am coz the water in the tank turns to be very muddy if I keep the pump going... FYI I'm using the handy pump anglers use for live prawn.... Can the fish survive without the pump for that particular time frame... Coz I'm scared if I off it and the fish is dead...

Correct me if im wrong this is a mayan cichild

This is the first tank i put the fish in and it attack the white color fish

This is the fish that it attack...

So now i have to put the fella in here...

changing it to norm fish tank later... can this fish live by itself....
Last edited by Newguy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Re: What do PB eat

Post by Peace »

Yes, that's a mayan cichlid. I'm not sure if it will survive without aeration but I bet it can. You can take off the aeration and observe it for a few hours, if it keeps surfacing for air then you probably need to turn the air pump back on. Don't worry about the murky water though, it won't stress the fish. The water will turn back clear once you get a filter for the tank.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Mayan Cichild

Post by Newguy »

Orite.... Thanks peace and anymore info that u hv that u can give me.....
Coz first time keeping a wild fish at home as a pet....

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Re: Mayan Cichild

Post by Newguy »

OK guys i got this recipe from the net...

● 2 lbs. Whole Shrimp
You want to get regular whole shrimps, heads and all. The cheaper ones are preferable, they just need to be full-sized.
● 2 lbs. Green Peas
These should be frozen green peas.
● 2 tsp. Spirulina Powder
You can find Spirulina powder at Health Food Stores. Just make sure you get the pure powder with no added herbs or other products.
● 100 gms. Gelatin Powder
You can find this at health food stores as well. It's best if you use the vegetable form rather than meat as it's more easily digestible.
● 10 drops Liquid Multi-vitamins
These can be any good quality freshwater aquarium concentrate. If you are unable to find liquid multitamins for fish, you could alternatively try the liquid vitamins that are marketed for birds and other pets.

Thaw the shrimps and peas, leaving them slightly frozen.

Place them in a blender or mincer and grind them to a fine paste.

Place the mixture in a bowl and add the Spirulina powder and liquid multi-vitamins and stir well.

Dissolve the gelatin, following the directions on the box, making sure there are no lumps in it. It must be an easily flowing, sticky mass without any lumps. Lumps of gelatin can be dangerous for juveniles.

Slowly add the shrimp-pea mix to the warm gelatin. Be sure to mix it completely before it cools. The best way to do this is to mix the food scoop by scoop with the hot gelatin, preventing it from cooling too quickly by keeping the gelatin still on low heat.

When ready, the mixture is poured onto a baking tray or into small ice cube containers and placed in the refrigerator to cool for several hours.

The hardened mix is then cut into pieces of convenient size, and frozen in plastic zip-lock bags. After the mix has been frozen, it cannot b cut easily.
This recipe should last the average Cichlid hobbyist many months. By freezing it in several Zip-lock bags, you can keep the food fresh until it is completely consumed.

***This recipe is to actually bring out the vibrant color and proper mature of the mayans.***

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That sounds like a lot of work, but I guess you have to go the extra mile to let your mayan look good. Do try the recipe and share with us the results.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Sure i will try the new recipes i got on the web but it will take sometimes for me to get all the stuff together and the results...
Hopefully will get a good results from it...
To all those who have Mayans at home can oso do the recipes and share with us the results....

This is the links that i get it from : http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/food_recipes.php
Do inform me if the link is not working....

For now im actually feeding my only mayan with small prawns/shrimps and i realise some uniqueness in mayans... That is their strips of black are dull when they are calm stage and vibrant in color when they are in aggresive mode(trying to eat the shrimp or attacking other fish).

BTW going to the same place this sat(tomolo) to catch a few more coz my mayan is a bit lonely maybe 2 to 3 more and then home i go... Do not want the population to be destroy if catch to many coz mayan cichild is a very nice color fish....

Oh yeah pros and bros can u actually tell me how to tell the diff between a nile talapia and a mayan cichild juz like mine coz from some of the pic from lure fishing i realise that some of the talapia caught look juz like my mayans..

Exp:This pic was taken from lure fishing (Spin for Talapia)

And this is the mayan i caught..

Sorry for the noobs questions...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nile tilapias don't have the vertical bands and distinct false 'eye' near its tail. Nile tilapia also tends to be more pale and light greyish in colour. Good luck on your next trip. :)

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Sorry guys no cr report for my last trip as it was bad only caught 3 juvenile Mayan... CNR 2 and bought back 1 of the juvenile but didn't last long as my first Mayan give it a hard time and died ard 6 hrs later...

BTW bro and pro do u guys hv any good spot for Mayan's as I need 3 more of its type to complete my tank as its been alone for sometimes.....

To all those Mayan's keeper out there any tips u guys hv for me...

Daryl
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Prawning
bait fishing

Post by Daryl »

mayans are everywhere actually . The canal beside the kallang mrt have some .. along the canals shld have , darkota mrt beside canal also have =P

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Did you dechlorinate the water before putting the fish in?

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Yes. I dechlorinate the tank before putting the fish in....

Btw guys this is the final touch up of the tank... there's a Nile talapia ,3 juvenile Mayan Cichild and 1 adult Mayan Cichild in it sorie if u guys can't see the fish.......

Hope u guys like what I did to it....Will keeping updating the progress....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's a nice setup, your cichlids will be happy to make this tank their home. :) It's unsual of the fish to die within hours of putting it in the tank, maybe the fish suffered excessive trauma when it was caught.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

It was not because of dechlorinate or excessive trauma but it was attack by the first ever first bought home...Its like the first fish is trying to show the newcomer a lesson of who's the boss...