Jigging For Tambans

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

holychef
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Handline Fishing, surf fishing

Jigging For Tambans

Post by holychef »

Meow! i help you complete the page for jigging for tamban k?

Jigging for Tamban

Step 1 : Choosing the right spot and the right time.
If you are going to jig for tamban, remember to choose the right spot and the right time. The right spot is where you are against the current, you will most likely get more tambans this way. The right time is when the current is strong, you will get more tamban this way as the feather hooks will be more tempting to the tambans (my own deduction, with some stories from the pro uncles at bjt). If the sea is still, the tamban will not be attracted to the feather hooks as much.

Step 2 : Get the correct set up

After you finish setting up the tamban hook, put a 10g, just 10g sinker. After that, put 2 "Silver Fishes", those that are said to attract tamban on the rig, one on the swivel with the weight, the other on the beginning of the rig. Also, try to get the tamban rigs sold by the ah laus there, it work best compared to those sold in tackle shop.

Step 3 : Jigging for tamban

After you finish your setup. Its time to start jigging for tamban, all you have to do is do a small swing and let your line out about 2-3m from the jetty, next, slowly reel in while tilting your rod tip up and down, this will attract the tamban to "eat" your hooks. When you feel something is pulling on the other end, it means you caught a tamban! Hurry!!! So reel in and lift the whole rig out of the water, however, do so slowly as tamban's lip is very soft and will tear easily.
If you do not get what I mean, you can either go down early to BJT during the weekends at around 6-8am and watch the ah laus there, normally there will be some people jigging for tamban. So you can follow them and do the same thing, you can also try asking them to teach you. The ah laus there are very friendly and will help you if you ask nicely! ^_^ Theres also this video that you can watch --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNaY4zaVbk

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Jigging For Tambans

Post by Peace »

That's very good information on jigging tambans, I will surely include these into that article that I meant to finish. ::x: What I really need is some form of illustration to demonstrate it step by step, which again I never got around to do it. :o

Anyway, I found jigging tambans techniques at different places, ie. Labrador Jetty and Bedok Jetty to be quite different. Not quite sure how to describe.

Good job on writing that up, Chef. Thanks. :flower: :)

joel
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: normal catch and keep fishing

Post by joel »

Hey guys, i went to bottle tree park and catched a red-tailed cat, but its a catch and release pond. i need to find a rod and learn techniques. recently i had a thought to fish in bedok jetty but i dunno how to jig tambans... and i dunno where to get good but cheap rods... :fish:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, Bedok Jetty is definitely a good starting place to learn to fish tambans. Bad news is someone in fishingkaki reported that the jetty is damaged in an accident and is closed for fishing. For cheap and affordable rods, you can shop for Eupro, Lemax and Berkley rods. Their budget rods are well built. Try shopping at Joe's or Hong Guan at Beach road or Changi Pro at Changi village, just select the rods according to your budget.

For tamban fishing, a 2-6lbs rod is enough but if you want a single rod for general purpose use, you can go for 8-16lbs rated rod of length 6 to 7 feet.

Welcome to HLF, Joel. :)
Edit: Just heard from a friend who was there today that only part of the jetty is corded off, the rest of the jetty is still open to fishing for the meantime.

joel
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: normal catch and keep fishing

Post by joel »

Thanks man. The info was what i needed. Thanks again! :)

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

yah.Bedok Jetty is indeed a good place to start but i try jigging tambans in the end end up with one.

You try jigging them around the T junction where you can see them swimming around in a school.

Wish you good luck! :D