fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

fishingfats
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf casting

fishing

Post by fishingfats »

hey guys!!! can u guys recommend me a good and cheap surf rod and reel ? thanks :}

Allen
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Luring

Re: fishing

Post by Allen »

Haha, it's best to go down to tackle shop and tell them your budget and they will build one for you.
It's quite difficult to recommend you as there is many rod and reel out there. You can try Joe Tackle / Changi Pro Tackle.
This are the 2 shops i usually go as they always give good prices.
handlinefishing.com :rose:

fishingfats
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf casting

Post by fishingfats »

hahaha okay thanks but im just a beginner to surf casting so iwas wondering could anyone here recommend me a rod and reel that u guys started off with
:}

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

It depends a lot on your budget and usage, like Allen said it's best to go down the tackleshop to physically see and feel the rods yourself. If you want to surf from a beach for example, you might want to get a rod that is at least 12 ft, you can live with a shorter rod if you're fishing from a jetty. You will also want to consider the ease of transporting the rod, i.e. 2 section vs 3 section. You don't have to get an expensive rod especially when you're just starting out, have a look at surf rods from lemax, seahawk, franklin & loomis or penn.

And yes you have to decide whether to go with overhead or spinning setup. Overhead reels tend to give you better casting distance but it can be a nightmare if the line overruns, which is likely to happen when you're new to using it. If you decide to go for spinning, make sure you get a spinning reel that is designed for surf. The gap of the spools are much wider than general spinning reels (something like this). Line capacity of at least 200 metres of 30lbs mono line will be a good choice.