line questions

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

fishingfats
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf casting

line questions

Post by fishingfats »

hey guys once again :) haha i know i have lots of question but i needa know about this. does the main line from the reel(which is 15 lbs) plus the leader line(30 lbs) im using determine how heavy my catch can be ? if so how many kg is 30 leader line estimated to catch ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: line questions

Post by Peace »

In a perfect scenario, your overall tackle strength will be 15lbs or 6.8kg. We always take the weakest component to determine the overall tackle strength. We must always assume that the leader will be worn off to some extent either by the fish biting it or abrasion against rocks. That is why we use a line(leader) heavier than the main one for the to compensate for this strength loss. So ultimately, your overall setup strength(lbs) should tend to follow that of your main line.

You should also take into consideration of strength loss from the number and types of knots used as well as how well they're tied. A quality 15lbs line should be able to hold up a 15lbs fish in midair, but that doesn't mean you need as much as 15lbs line to land a 15lbs fish. Fishes don't have much gravity advantage over you in water but they can certainly make powerful maneuvers to make landing them difficult for you. ;)

Deciding on how much you want to push the limits of the tackles depends on the place you're fishing at. In places where fishes can dash for cover easily, you will want to use lines stronger than usual for better control. You can always use very light lines to land very big fish by having enough lines and slowly tiring out the fish though this is not right if you're intentionally causing more than necessary stress to the fish, catch and release or not.

fishingfats
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf casting

Re: line questions

Post by fishingfats »