Erm a question..

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Daryl
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Prawning
bait fishing

Erm a question..

Post by Daryl »

Well i have been fishing with a rod for quite a time now i would like to try handline fishing but i have some question about it.
1.Where to use it?
2.What bait?
3.How to use it?
4.How to feel for a bite?
5.How to set the hook?
thats all and i am in to prawn fishing now also so any tips to share also can post Thks for replies!!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Erm a question..

Post by Peace »

Hi darylfun123, welcome to HLF. You can use handlines just about anywhere you can fish but it won't be as flexible as a rod would in most cases. They're better in types of fishing where little or no casting is required. So the easiest places to use handlines are either from a boat or from a pier/jetty.

What bait to use depend heavily on your overall setup and the type of fishes you're after. But if just want to try it out say, in saltwater, just use dead prawns as bait for a start. You can use just about any type of rigs you want, but remember that long rigs can prove to be very difficult to cast with hand alone. I recommend using apollo rig for some bottom fishing.

Feeling for a bite can be tricky depending on the type and size of fish on the other end of the line. Basically, you'll be feeling for vibrations when the fish takes a bite on the bait. Lines with lesser/no stretch like braided lines will give you a better feel for a fish bite but it's not very friendly on your hands.

When a small fish bites, you can feel very soft and often rapid vibrations which can hardly pull your line away. When the bites get a little stronger, you should slack the line a little to encourage the fish to take in the bait. If the fish swallows the bait and hook, you should feel the line being gradually being pulled away. At this point, you should taut the line to watch for reaction. If the remains taut for more than a second, you should set the hook by pulling the line back hard with your hand.

Of course, this is just a very general way to approach a fish taking your bait. As you fish along, you'll find certain fishes may require a different way to lure them as well as to set hook. I suggest you try out some handlining first and feedback on the things you're not sure of. :)

Daryl
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
bait fishing

Post by Daryl »

Thanks peace! question ..i wanna get an grouper what i dreamt of ..hehe but is it possible for me to get grouper using handline on dead prawns and punggol jetty? i wanna get a grouper recommend any spots?

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Hey ... hi daryl

The easiest and sure way to get a grouper ... go sheng shiong n buy ... live one leh ! :lol:
Joking ;p

Groupers are extremely greedy fish ...
Not that choosy when comes to food ... they eat almost anything.

It's not impossible to land grouper with hand line on dead prawns at Punggol Jetty.
Give it a try ... you never know what's at the other end of the line till you land it.

Here's a tippy for you ...
Grouper are typically very lazy fish ... hides and sleep all day ... comes out only when they need to find food.
Look out for breakwaters, places with lots of rocks and structures ...
Best is tyres ! ;X
Got tyres got gao hurr ! ;)

Good luck on your grouper hunting. :clover:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, groupers are indeed very greedy fish, they'll eat even with their mouth full. :D Large bait tends to draw their attention better. Groupers love hiding under jetties so a direct drop using handline is very possible. Punggol Jetty is very small though, so groupers coming in don't have many places to hide or is already caught by other anglers. Nonetheless, you can just drop your handline to the bottom and walk it around the perimeter of the jetty. If the Punggol seawall is accessible, you can try handlining along the walls for groupers. ;)

Oh yes, dead prawns will do just fine. Hope you catch a grouper soon.

Daryl
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
bait fishing

Post by Daryl »

Thks everyone for the tips but will not be fishing for quite a time as SA1 coming le heheh thks anyway!

fatsherman
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: surf fishing, shore fishing, boat fishing

Post by fatsherman »

hi,

i noticed you asked about prawning as well.

I have been prawning for awhile now, so i thought i might share my humble experience.

if you are using the rods they provide, the float is usually adjustable. Dip your rod into the pond and get a feel of how deep it is, then adjust your float accordingly, such that the bait is near the bottom (that's where all the prawns usually reside).

but ever since I started on fishing, prawning seems lame and a waste of money with all those dua tao hei.

nevertheless, goodluck for your SA and happy prawning/fishing thereafter

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

1 uncle ever told me that groupers seldom swim around and they just hide in some corners (like what dbs and peace said). so to catch a grouper u gotta land your bait infront of them for them to eat. talk about pampered fishes. LOL
i never really dreamt of catching a grouper, but i wished though. it'll be really lucky to catch a grouper, even in a paid pond.

as for prawning, i've been prawning quite a while...so i'll just share my 2 cents worth.
normally the free baits they give are chicken livers or heart, not sure. but i'll prefer using earthworms. much more effective based on my experience. my best catch amount with my friends is, 3 rods, 3hrs with 97 prawns. big and small both have. smallest was my pinkie size. biggest was about 3 times the smallest.
some places i use sotong as bait, some places i use prawns (get a small prawn that u caught and cut it up).

good luck with your grouper and prawn hunt! =)