need advice

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

need advice

Post by teamilk »

hello all fishing pros.......

im relatively new to fishing...only done pond fishing...and trying out some of those "illegal" spots and some reservoirs.
i would like to ask...
1) my setup is shimano basstera ex 5ft6 rod, with a brandless reel, 9+1 bearings, 3000 i think. line poundage is 20lbs.
with this setup, is it suitable to go pasir ris park (cast from bridge so beneath is not really shallow waters) or punggol end to fish?
2) at either locations, is it advisable to go at night? from about 12am till about 5am
3) intending to use live/dead prawns and milk fish. good?
i used to frequent pasir ris paypond, and neu tiew crescent. but getting expensive. so im sourcing for free fishing areas.
also, used to have a fishing kaki to go with, but he went USA for work...for 3 months. therefore as a newbie, i didnt want to venture out alone. but the withdrawal symptoms are kicking in...so i think i decided to just try it out. LOL
I'm not really looking into catching big big fishes to bring home and cook (unless i go pay pond), just like the fight with the fish.

i'll greatly appreciate all the kind advice. thanks all!

btw, im intending to go tonight (no work tomorrow..hehe), so if any bros/sis (preferred..LOL, joking) wanna join, please feel free to leave me PM. thanks!!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: need advice

Post by Peace »

Hi teamilk, welcome to HLF. :)

1) Your current setup is definitely sufficient for the place you mentioned unless you're specifically targeting for huge stingrays.

2) Not sure about Pasir Ris Park but Punggol is quite popular for night fishing, you're unlikely to be fishing alone there. If you fish by the jetty, it
should be pretty well lited. But for night fishing, it's always have to have a buddy to fish with. You have an extra pairs of eyes to look after your stuff if you happen to doze off.

3) Choice of baits depend on where you're using it. For Pasir Ris, you can try floater with live prawns or milk fish to target for barramundis. For punggol, live or dead prawns is fine.

There's a reason why payapond and fishing charter business is doing well despite the number competition on a small island. :p Our shores are getting harder and harder to fish each year, it's no surprise people are turning to ponds and neighbouring waters for fishing. When it comes to a 'free' spot, we got to lower our expectation a little. If your priority is to fight or land a fish, then pond and offshore fishing is still the way to go.

A change of place to fish might not be all that bad, you get to soak your lines and enjoy the great outdoors. Sorry I can't join you for fishing but I wish you a pleasant trip. It's going to be a cool night. :cool:

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by teamilk »

Thanks alot peace!!!
Appreciate the advice.. I'm actually at pasir ris park. Saw 1 uncle and his son crabbing. Water level is high..guess that's the result of the rain.
From what u said, think I'll grab some live prawns and move off to punggol. Will try out the place. Only worry is getting there. Hope I won't lose my way. Lol

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It's high tide right now so it's also possible that the water is coming in from the sea. Tide is starting to go down now though, Punggol Jetty is probably the better place to fish in this circumstances. I would prefer Changi Kelong Walk to Punggol Jetty, you can try either if you know the way, good luck!

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by teamilk »

last night was a looonng night...alone
made my way down to punggol jetty. lost my way. circled round and round. even asked my friends but none can give me the exact location. sigh....
went back to pasir ris. tried for 3 hours and tried changi kelong walk. went round and round...until i wanted to give up, saw the bridge....and saw some people fishing there.
immediately unloaded my stuff and went to try. stayed there for 2.5hrs before going back. 0 catches 0 fights. saw a group catch a seabass at changi though. guess last night's hit rate was bad as the tide was really low.
well, gonna try changi again...when the tide is higher.

btw....as i heard from my friend, punggol jetty is temporarily closed for construction??? is it true?
can anyone let me know the exact location of punggol jetty? i circled around ponggol road 17th av. but couldnt find the place.....
thanks!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Here's the map of Punggol Jetty, it's all the way at the end of Punggol Road. I'm not sure if the Jetty is closed but last I heard it is open for fishing. Receding tides aren't very favourable for many shore spots, try fishing when the tide is going up and be there a few hours before the tide peaks.

Do give those spots a few more tries, your patience may be well rewarded. ;)

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by teamilk »

thanks alot peace...
appreciate you finding the map for me.
i definitely went to that area. but i am pretty sure i dont see a jetty. i saw some construction around...and that area seems sealed up.
i wouldn't wanna say it confirmed close cos last night was my first time there...so maybe there's a way around to the jetty which i didnt see.
other anglers if you can confirm its closed pls let us know!

yes i will definitely go changi again...=)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yea, there's definitely construction going on the far left and right side of the jetty, both sides are pretty good spots if you can access it. And of course, it comes with complimentary mosquito kisses. :lol: Like you, I am not sure if the jetty is still accessible. Anyone else has been there recently?