Freshwater fish of singapore

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Freshwater fish of singapore

Post by gohyuheng »

I have made a mission. And that mission is to catch all the freshwater fish of singapore !!!!!
So i have made a list. O stands for caught and X stands for not.
CILCHILDS
-Peacock bass O
-Green chromide O
-Zebra tilapia X
-Nile tilapia O
-Mozambique Tilapia X
-Jaguar Cilchild O
-Flowerhorn Cilchild O
-Mayan cilchild X
-Eartheater Cilchild X
SNAKEHEAD(wanted alot,HELP NEEDED TO CATCH)
-Giant snake head X
-Snakehead murrel X
-Forest snakehead (dont worry, i will catch and realease) X
AIRBREATHING CATFISH
-Walking catfish O
-Forest walking catfish X
Climbing Gouramies
-Climbing Perch (WANTED) X
Swamp Eels
-Swamp Eel X
AROWANAS
-Red-Tail Golden Arowana(not very important) X
Gobies
-Marble Goby (MOST WANTED! HELP NEEDED) X
gouramies
-Giant Gouramie X
MINNOWS
-Tinfoil barb X
List Complete XD
If anyone can provide information, how to catch the fish, bait used, where to, size, length, I will be extremely grateful. If anyone needs help for the fishes i have already caught, i will be glad to help.
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Freshwater fish of singapore

Post by Peace »

The freshwater list should be longer than this but I'm not very good with freshwater myself. Some of these fish only take organic baits like the swamp eel and most parts of Singapore waters don't allow baiting. Species like the forest snakeheads live in delicate habitats, even with catch and release, you can cause stress to its population.

I'll leave it to you to explore it on your own first. :)

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

1 more: archer fishy!!!
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure, Bottom

Post by Bczk »

Hi gohyuheng, u can try your luck for Zebra Tilapias at Pandan Reservoir. Rest assured there r an abundant of them in the water along wif Peacock Bass. My fren caught one relatively big one (30cm x 20cm, 800g) the other time but there r foreign labours using prawns as baits and caught ~10 of that size too. Hope u r not as inconsiderate as them as we can onli use artificial baits in reservoirs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Nice, that's pretty big for a Zebra tilapia indeed. :nod:

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Bczk »

That was wad my fren and i first thought. But those prawn baits got up many of such size... Really spoiling market sia they all...

gohyuheng
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by gohyuheng »

thanks for the tips XD
I wanna catch a big fish~~~~

Bczk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Bczk »

Happy luring =p

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

hey gohyuheng, what bait you use for catching your walking catfish?

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

This is what I know...
Zebra tilapia - This is quite common at some reservoirs. I used to think that they don't take lures that often. It is either lures and flies.I haven't caught them on rubber baits, maybe I'll try a soft rubber, berkeley gulp or something see if they want to eat. Place you can try is USR, but you'll need some skill at this spot. palm size ones at UPR, but no legal spot there. LSR have too but depends on luck.

Mozambique Tilapia - The difference between Mozambique tilapia and nile tilapia is Moz tilapia has a reddish outline on the fins, fleshy lips in very big fish and black body white throat for males when it is breeding. But if there are hybrids , I can't tell. It is more common than nile tilapia ,I feel. I've been using lures for some years, and haven't caught one on artifical baits yet. It can be found in neighbourhood park ponds, and drains and rivers that connects to the sea, so you can catch them in brackish water too. Bait is fresh bread, I like to press it into a pyramid shape before hooking it. Bread that lose its moisture is hard to press into shape so... tie up the bread's plastic bag at the fishing spot. Places would be like some drains near Sembawang where you can see on the mrt and such.

Earth eater - This is common at reserviors, but quite hard to get on lures. Maybe flies. You'll have to experiment a bit see if you catch them with what. cos I haven't caught them yet.

Giant snakehead - reserviors. I like Kranji and USR legal spots, but I never caught the giants, I only managed to get the babies. Kranji often has green water, and USR's water is sometimes clear that the fish can see you. Both place has better luck if you go really early. and also due to school holidays currently, it is slightly crowded than usual. When I started luring, I find snakeheads need more skills to get than peacock bass. I've better luck using lures with propeller and those that cast well. follow by poppers like chugbugs. Spinner baits works too. The bigger fish, maybe you need some secret spots, or you become very good at the legal grounds that you catch them regularly. Tomans is also found in freshwater rivers that have weeds, then you can try some frog weedless baits.

Common snakehead - Big ones live in reserviors, small one is streams and rivers. I didn't catch much. It is wary and hide when it sees the angler. Not as easy as pbs.

Catfish - Forest walking catfish is not easy to find, as we don't have much forest cover haha... I think it has some white spots and the head shape is slightly different, doesn't grow big, under 30cm perhaps. The common walking catfish is probably getting rare too. Now the catfish is hybrid walking catfish released as unused baits used for baiting snakeheads. These hybrid catfish gets big, if it exceed 40cm, it could be hybrid.

Climbing perch...Live in streams. It also lives in ditches on some cleared land. I mean pools of rainwater in some isolated spots, can find small ones that can be netted.

Red tail gold - normally is released pets and can be found in reservoirs ,but need luck and some casting skills.

Marble goby - reservoir. Lives between the rocks. baiters bait them using minnows or prawn meat, put in front of its mouth if you can see it. But you can only see them easily before 8-9am. When the sun comes out, they hide or the water is choppy can't see. They are also capable of living in brackish waters, sometimes caught by anglers baiting outside the dams, but it is a bit dangerous as the slope at the dam is steep. One angler I spoke to commented that small gobies there are full of eggs. It is more active at night, caught under jetty pillars of reservoirs and near the bank. I'm quite amazed by anglers catching them on lures, perhaps I'll try some soft rubbers if I do.

Giant gourami - LSR . Found near weedbeds. and often surface to breathe with its face showing. I think it is not that common, but I just saw a juvenile few days ago.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

interesting . . . nice piece of infos . . .
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's a very nice personal contribution, BeachBum. :thumbsup: I'm particularly interested in the Giant Gourami, I sometimes see them surface while I lure but they doesn't seem to be a bit interested at lures at all. Anyone knows what's the best way to catch them?

Another interesting fish is the that Eartheater, I can often see them in very shallow waters but they get spooked by lures. Even with baits, they don't seem too eager to take a bite.

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

For giant gouramis one can try working hard on flies or small lures. Play cheat method - freshwater shrimps. Eartheaters they do take lures if provoked, but often spooked by wad peace said. Play cheat method cast net.

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

patrick2405 wrote:hey gohyuheng, what bait you use for catching your walking catfish?
I have got a walking catfish on lure before. Was a probably bout 7cm shad. If you are talking bout bait, goldfish or bread will bring you results. I personally dun care if a person bait or lure but cnr is really important in a country like Singapore. Leave this hobby for your offspring to enjoy. Good luck.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

Chatellany wrote:
patrick2405 wrote:hey gohyuheng, what bait you use for catching your walking catfish?
I have got a walking catfish on lure before. Was a probably bout 7cm shad. If you are talking bout bait, goldfish or bread will bring you results. I personally dun care if a person bait or lure but cnr is really important in a country like Singapore. Leave this hobby for your offspring to enjoy. Good luck.
hey thanks for your info ill try it soon :D