Newbie here

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Vecheron
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Newbie here

Post by Vecheron »

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and also new to fishing...Just got my newbie tackles and i would like to ask some questions..

I juz got myself this pioneer slender power graphite rod 8 ft-2402/ 10-20lb / 4.5-9.1 kg / Medium action
What does the specs mean? I read thru the forum and realised some rods indicate the casting weight. Mine doesnt!

I got this tica reel called Libra SA4000H specs as follows:
Gear ratio 6. 3:1
Weight 435gms
I have spoolled in 16lb mono line from Asari? Is it enough for fishing at jetties / break waters? Will the line snap incase i got lucky and get a biggie? What is the reccommended leader weight to use?

Your kind advice and replies are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Newbie here

Post by Peace »

Hi Vecheron and welcome to HLF. The specs on your 8ft rod indicates line strength to use between 10 and 20lbs line (4.5-9.1 kg is just a unit conversion). Medium action means that the rod will bend somewhere in the middle of the rod when the tip is loaded (faster action bends closer to the tip and slow action bends closer to the butt). Some rods don't indicate lure/casting weight. But typically a 10-20lbs rated rod will cast a 1oz just fine.

16lbs line is enough for general fishing at jetty where you can confidently control a 1-2kg fish. But this goes down to how you ensure the integrity of the line and how well you tie your knots. For leader, you can start with 30lbs and use sinker 1 (up to 2 if you don't cast hard).

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Hi, I am also quite new to fishing, just started for fishing for about 5-6 months, but i will try to give some advice from things i know.

Generally, i am not familiar with fishing rods, [url]http://fishing.about.com/od/rodsandreel ... ng_rod.htm
you can check out the website about some stuff about the rod. Generally the 10-20 lb refer to the line used, action refer to how much the rod bend.

As for the reel and line used, it would be more than enough for fishing at jetties and break waters.
I think the line is unlikely to break with biggie if you set the drag correctly.
As for leader, i generally use a lighter leader than my main line so that i wont lose the main line and i can put on another leader that i have prepared easily.

Good luck and enjoy fishing~ :fish: :fish2: :D
The more I fish, the more i love fishing <3

Vecheron
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Newbie here

Post by Vecheron »

Thanks for ur replies Peace and MrTurtle. What kinda baits shld I use for day and night fishing eg fishing at bedok jetty? Size of hook?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It depends what you're targeting for. If let's say you're targeting for chermins or golden trevally, dead or live prawns on a 1/0 or 2/0 sized hooks will be ideal. If your targeting for queenfishes, mackerels, wolf herrings and such, live tambans caught from the jetty will be a very good bait. You should use size 3/0 when targeting for bigger fishes. For night fishing, night tambans or squids are the commonly used baits there.

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

Vecheron wrote:Thanks for ur replies Peace and MrTurtle. What kinda baits shld I use for day and night fishing eg fishing at bedok jetty? Size of hook?
If you are jigging for tambans/using dead baits like prawns,u should use size 1/0 hook if u r targetting for KBL or barracudas.

Good luck bro!!! :D

Vecheron
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Vecheron »

Another question. I seen alot of pple saying shock leaders but what exactly is that? Any pics on how it looks like and also how to tie it?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Shock leader is simply a length of mono line used for absorb shock from casting and hard striking. It is more commonly for people who who use braided or fused lines as their mainline. Such lines have no stretch and can break easily under sudden high load and the mono will relief this stress.

Lines manufacturers do brand some of the mono lines as shock leaders with more shock absorbant properties. In my opinion, any mono line will do. You need to pay attention to the stretchiness of that mono line and use an appropriate length. For casting, it is commonly recommend a length about twice that of your rod. Such length results in the mono going into your guides and spool, so the knot between mono and the braided lines must be as small and smooth as possible.

FG knot is a popular and trusted knot for this purpose so it's worth learning if like using braided lines.

Vecheron
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Newbie here

Post by Vecheron »

Thanks Peace for your replies, but I read in other places that the person is using a mono line but he's also using a shock leader too. Maybe the fish he is targeting is very big? Eg: 20lb main line and 50lb shock leader.

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

Vecheron wrote:Thanks Peace for your replies, but I read in other places that the person is using a mono line but he's also using a shock leader too. Maybe the fish he is targeting is very big? Eg: 20lb main line and 50lb shock leader.
For me, my explanation would be that 'you never know what you're getting'. 20lbs is generally enough for alot types of fishing, but the specification of lines out there is only theoretical. Attach a swivel, weight and bait the 20 lbs may be left with only 17 lbs plus the resistance when youre reeling in your line from the waters. So it's more than often, ( for me ) to attach a shock leader with a line class two times of my spool. Eg , 20 lbs spool line with a 40 lbs leader. This is so because you don't want to stress your load on your spool line, and the unpredictable hookup you may get from fishing. And yes, monoline to monoline. It could be braided to mono too like Peace mentioned.

Vecheron
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Vecheron »

Chatellany wrote:
Vecheron wrote:Thanks Peace for your replies, but I read in other places that the person is using a mono line but he's also using a shock leader too. Maybe the fish he is targeting is very big? Eg: 20lb main line and 50lb shock leader.
For me, my explanation would be that 'you never know what you're getting'. 20lbs is generally enough for alot types of fishing, but the specification of lines out there is only theoretical. Attach a swivel, weight and bait the 20 lbs may be left with only 17 lbs plus the resistance when youre reeling in your line from the waters. So it's more than often, ( for me ) to attach a shock leader with a line class two times of my spool. Eg , 20 lbs spool line with a 40 lbs leader. This is so because you don't want to stress your load on your spool line, and the unpredictable hookup you may get from fishing. And yes, monoline to monoline. It could be braided to mono too like Peace mentioned.

Thanks Chatellany for your reply. So to speak, mainline will be knotted to the leader directly hence no swivel is needed right? From my reading, i noticed pple saying Albright knot is also a good knot for tying the shock leader. I have seen on youtube how pple tie the FG knot, but i guess its too much for a noobie like me.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It's fine using shock leader for mono as main line but it doesn't offer any more shock absorbance than the main line can already offer. There's an enormous amount of stretch on the main line compared to the shock leader due to the length itself (fishing depth). Nonetheless, the shock leader can be used as an ordinary leader as well to resist abrasion.

Another reason for using shock leader the on a mono main line and the rig is for people who wants to grab the line by hand when a big fish surfaces. In that circumstances, the shock absorbance and high strength of the shock leader will come into play when the fish thrashes.

I've tried albright before and it didn't seem to impress me. Maybe I didn't tie it right or proper but it seemed to fall below my expectations on a rough gauge of strength by hand.

Vecheron
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Vecheron »

Last nite went to Taman Jurong and discovered the whole place was torn down....so dissappointed and i decided to go Pasir Ris park to have a look there. Walked to the pro pond and stayed there n watch angles fish for abt an hr and the hit rate is quite good. Abt 5-6 fishes were caught.. I noticed the angles there had very light outfits, 4-5' rods and mini reels. Didnt fish but was very shiok to see how they fought the 1-2kg fishes with their outfits.

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

Peace wrote:Shock leader is simply a length of mono line used for absorb shock from casting and hard striking. It is more commonly for people who who use braided or fused lines as their mainline. Such lines have no stretch and can break easily under sudden high load and the mono will relief this stress.

Lines manufacturers do brand some of the mono lines as shock leaders with more shock absorbant properties. In my opinion, any mono line will do. You need to pay attention to the stretchiness of that mono line and use an appropriate length. For casting, it is commonly recommend a length about twice that of your rod. Such length results in the mono going into your guides and spool, so the knot between mono and the braided lines must be as small and smooth as possible.

FG knot is a popular and trusted knot for this purpose so it's worth learning if like using braided lines.
Wow tat video was amazing but i am quite confused with the knots

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

.plz use 40lb line can bully 1kg fish liao lol
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~