Bite indicator

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf fishing, lure fishing.

Bite indicator

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Hey, I was wondering where i could get something like a bell to attach to the rod so that I could know when there is a bite.
Thanks for the help

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Re: Bite indicator

Post by noobANGLER »

I have one maybe i can give u

If u don't one it u go tackleshop buy one very cheap one lah

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

If you're buying bells, do go for those with plastic clip instead of metal ones, as they become rusty and really difficult to grip and press if not well maintained. And yes they are really cheap, you'll find it in most tackle shops.

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

Chatellany wrote:If you're buying bells, do go for those with plastic clip instead of metal ones, as they become rusty and really difficult to grip and press if not well maintained. And yes they are really cheap, you'll find it in most tackle shops.
Too bad my one metal one so i must go buy one more with plastic one le

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Haha thanks, i still thought those bells were improvised by the anglers themselves and could not be found in shop easily.

teamilk
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: All types of fishing, Prawning

Post by teamilk »

mustafa also got sell. lol
2 bells for $1.20 nia
was there 2-3 nights ago.
haha...wanted to buy, but didn't...
btw, it's metal clip one.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, get the plastic clip ones, they last a lot longer than the metal ones though the bells and spring will still rust. Rust on metal clip is a problem but more annoying because they tend to soften over time and go out of shape. There are those electronic bite alarms that sound off when a fish takes your line but it's no replacement for a bell that detects fish bites.

The fish alarm

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Chatellany »

Thats an interesting bell there. Wad is it powered by may I ask , Peace? And if you don't mind can you further explain wad does it mean by when the fish takes the line? Normally alarms of such will cost roughly how much?

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

lotsa money
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

MrTurtle7
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by MrTurtle7 »

Lol seem interesting, going down to some tackle shop to check out some bells and stock up some fishing stuff this weekend :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

This alarm uses 3 x LR44 button batteries and is included in the package. They range from 7-10 dollars each and you probably can get the best price at Joe's.

This is how it basically works: There's a wire coming out of the alarm that is attached to a plastic roller and when you pull it slightly, the alarm will go off. You need to clip this alarm on the handle grip of the rod or the blank itself if it's thick enough. Rig it up like it is shown in the picture below. When the line is pulled from the rod tip, it tightens the line causing the wire/roller to be pulled, activating the alarm.

This device is only good if you're targeting fishes which hit-and-run because it requires some line pulling to work. It won't sound off if there are soft bites like bells can. If you're going to use this, do note that it's important to align the alarm roller with the reel bail arm roller such that line can pay out smoothly without rubbing against the side of the reel roller.

I would do a video demonstration but it's going to wake up the neighbours. Believe me, it's really loud. :mischieve:

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Chatellany »

That's really something new to me man. I thought it is going to be bulky but it looks compact and easy. Thnk you for the detailed explanation Peace :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yea, it's a neat little gadget but the workmanship is pretty bad. You have to take care not to let water splash on it, so don't use it when it's raining. I gave up on bells not because they're ineffective but because many incosiderate anglers do not take off the bells off their rod when they reel back to check bait! It sets other bell users to turn to their rods which can be very annoying if it goes on all day. :mad: