How to catch stingrays at bjt

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

How to catch stingrays at bjt

Post by noobANGLER »

Can anybody tell me how to catch stingrays at bjt???What rig and wat bait should i use other than tambans???

And should i drop my line to the bottom of the sea and will my line get stucked???
Last edited by noobANGLER on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: How to catch stingrays

Post by Peace »

LSBF rigs are the norm there when you target for stingrays. You should be using bigger hooks especially if you're targeting for big rays, it'll give you better grip the ray and won't open up when you really need to pump hard. Rays scavenge for fishes, squids and crustaceans that are found on the seabed. Rays don't particular chase for their food, so it's better to use dead baits.

Make sure you have a heavy power rod for ray fishing. You need the power to lift and keep the ray away from the seabed. And yes, you need to drop the line all the way to the bottom.

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

according to many , swa jiam / pasir pasir / whitings are very favoured by stingrays as they emit this scent stingrays love. tambans are normally the least taken bait by stingrays as far as i know.

squids are good alternative if u dont have whitings as bait. but keep the squids as fresh as possible. according to old timers, the baits you get at the place you are fishing at for stingrays are the best most of the time.

and also they are commonly feeding on sandy beds , so most likely u'll be fishing from shore, sangkot rate shouldnt be so high. but anyway if u are really afraid of getting a sangkot, go google for ' pulley rig'. it works quite well. good luck!

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

Peace wrote:LSBF rigs are the norm there when you target for stingrays. You should be using bigger hooks especially if you're targeting for big rays, it'll give you better grip the ray and won't open up when you really need to pump hard. Rays scavenge for fishes, squids and crustaceans that are found on the seabed. Rays don't particular chase for their food, so it's better to use dead baits.

Make sure you have a heavy power rod for ray fishing. You need the power to lift and keep the ray away from the seabed. And yes, you need to drop the line all the way to the bottom.
But 2 my rod,can only tahan 13.6kg.Can i manage to catch a one that is lighter than 10kg???

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Re: How to catch stingrays at bjt

Post by Chatellany »

Yea technically speaking. Make sure the reel u pair with that rod is capable of such heavy drag too.