How to catch needlefish?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing and lure fishing always practice catch and release

How to catch needlefish?

Post by catfish »

how do u guys catch needlefish? do u use live baits or lures? im only interested with how strong they fight and not eating them. yeah.... so help please? :drool: i generally use carolina rig with circle hook :nod:

Mr.LURE
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing,handline fishing

Re: How to catch needlefish?

Post by Mr.LURE »

maybe a a line of treble hooks and foul hook them in the body,this is wat my grandpa told me,hope this help you...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Needlefish can be caught on both artificial lures or bait, but the latter is easier. For lures, you will want something shiny with fast movement like jigs or spoons. For baiting wise, you'll need a float as they're surface feeders. Best bait to use would be live tamban. Getting the needlefish to set hook can be a little tricky because they often grab and run off with the bait between its beak. You need to slack the line and let it run to a safe distance before it will stop to swallow the bait.

St John's Island's causeway is a great place for catch large needlefish. ;)

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: surf fishing and lure fishing always practice catch and release

Post by catfish »

Thanks for the info! Always i see needle fish i feel the urge to catch them but i cant. ill use the knowledge that u gave me to catch those pesky fish.
Thanks! :grin:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

There's an old but interesting method of catching these needlefish, they call it the lasso method. It doesn't use a fishing hook but a running loop and it tightens when the needlefish's beak get caught on it as it tries to swipe the bait. There's a thread in fk on this.

catfish
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by catfish »

hahahaha lol cowboy style to catch fish lol :lol: