Rod and Reel upto $100

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Grawpy
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Lure Fishing, Handline Fishing, Surf Fishing

Rod and Reel upto $100

Post by Grawpy »

Hi Friends,

This is my first post in this forum and I would like advice to buy a fishing rod-reel combo upto $100. :confused:

My History:
I was interested in fishing when I saw many people fishing at ECP and the the spark for passion was triggered when I saw a fishing spinning rod combo in Giant. It was a pretty cheap combo for 12$ (most probably for children :o ). Not knowing anything about fishing, I brought the rod along with some hooks and sinkers. I learned casting by watching youtube videos and anglers at ECP.
I broke the rod after a few tries at Labrador Park due to a very heavy float I attached foolishly to the line. :shocked: Anyway the rod had a very bad cheap plastic handle which broke and I mended the rod with Superglue and tying it tightly with rope (which doubled up as a grip for the handle). :cool:
After that the rod never gave any trouble and worked perfectly (even when I casted as hard as possible for throwing the 10 gm lures very far) as I practiced a lot of casting at Bedok Jetty, Bukit Batok Town Park and Pandan Reservoir. I brought some Surecatch lures and tried luring too but didn't catch any fish. One Big Toman actually ignored all my attempts of luring at BBTP. I cast around it, ahead and on it too, but it was not interested. This happened twice the same day. :cry:
:fish: The fishes that I caught were tambans using the rod and medium sized Scorpion Fish, Puffer Fish and Tilapia (all on handline) and a small baby Octopus.
Now, that I'm somewhat confident in fishing, I need a better setup mainly because there's a fishing trip organised by my company next Saturday at Pasir Ris Pond.

Requirements for a new setup
  • Type of Rod:
    • Spinning Rod of atleast 7 feet or more (which one is better Graphite/Carbon?).
    • Preferable Telescopic or Multi-section (Easy for transport).
    • Saltwater & Freshwater both
  • Reel: Spinning Reel with drag compatible with the rod and line.
  • Line: Suited for Luring in freshwater as well as long casting at Bedok Jetty/Labrador Park. Color/Test/Thickness?
  • Target Fish: Peacock Bass, Toman, Grouper, KBL.
  • Budget: Upto $100 (for Rod, Reel and Line).
Please let me know any specific models to look for, I would prefer Shimano rods/reels if they come in this price range.

P.S. Sorry for this long post, since I believe it'll be easier for members to advise me if I can give maximum info to you... :)
Last edited by Grawpy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is possible... The impossible just takes longer...
My Weapons:
  • Highland Seahawk Graphite HLD902HS rod (9 feet, Heavy, 18-35 lb)
  • Haibao C6 Reel 40F (Ball Bearings: 6, Built-in LED)
  • Seahawk Pro-Line 25 lb Mono Line 0.32 mm diameter

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Re: Rod and Reel upto $100

Post by dBs™ »

Hi Grawpy and welcome to Handlinefishing.com :rootbeer:

You have just pen a very detailed intro about your fantastic fishing experiences.
The best I have read ... in this forum at least.
Well done on your part and time for us to crack our brain to provide some answers to your questions.
Don't get excited with my instantaneous reply .. I happen to be sitting in front of the com while you posted. :p

I quit shopping for tackle since a long time ago ... so kinda lost touch with whats selling in the market right now.
Here's what I have to suggest, go for a 2pcs spinning setup. 5'6" to 6 ft is a good length to play luring and inshore fishing along jetty and shore lines.
Can take a look at Shimano Scimitar or eupro. As for reel, I really have no idea ... those who know me knows why.I'll leave this to you guys ( Peace, VIdic & Tamban ) to answer. :o
Line ... there is the fun in using mono lines and the skill when using braided. No harm giving them both a try.

Before you make any purchases, head down to any tackle shop and feel the setup before deciding.
It helps holding the setup in your hand and feel it.
We can only suggest, the actual feel holding the rod and reel together makes great difference.

I know my ans ain't leading you to anywhere ... lol ! :lol:
Sorry dude, hope someone smarter comes along tonight.

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

i hv an idea!
Okay...for spinning i pro tech im-7 graphite...it can withstand 10-20 lbs fishes....50-60$
reel:go to joe tackle and buy there tioman reels(they have,is buget one)
there all at 20-30$
Line buy exori brand 40-20 pd line at fishing buddy (no need to change anything if goin for offshore...its the pay pond/changi waters fishing tackle

Good luck
Limfish
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I second on getting the Shimano Scimitar, good value for the money. It is a 2 section rod and longest available length should be 7ft. Comes with aluminium oxide guides which is tough enough to use braided line should want to use it in the future. For reel, you can get Shimano Alivio/Slade/Catana 2500.

I keep hearing about graphite and carbon, but frankly I don't quite get what it is all about though. Graphite is a form of carbon as with diamonds are a type of carbon as well. As for Scimitar, it is a graphite composite so it's not a pure carbon rod. Amount of carbon will make the rod stiff, but that goes down to whether you need that stiffness in your fishing application or not.

For the line, it's up to you prefer the stretchy mono or the no-stretch braided line. But if budget is a constraint, I suggest going with mono first. 15-20lbs line will be sufficient to cover a wide range of fishing applications. You can try Lemax 24k lines, they come in high lbs at low diameter.

Welcome to HLF, Grawpy.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Post by Oinkie »

Hi

There are many tackle shops around the island. Refer to the tackle directory:
http://www.handlinefishing.com/whosfish ... ectory.htm

When I started fishing I was just as blur don't really know what I want. What I did was pay a visit to the tackle shops talk to the people there. The fishos are all very helpful one, try out the reels I believe some shops actually display a full range of reels for you to try. As for rods get something that's comfortable especially you are going to use it. Make sure it's the one that you like not someone's. You are your own judge of your gears nobody will know better than you. Actually I made a lot of trips to different shops before deciding what I want.

Since you already had some standards on what you one why not spend sometimes visiting the tackles shops.

PS> When using a fresh water rod on salt water please be sure to wash it throughly if not corrosion will set it in double time.

Grawpy
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Grawpy »

Thanks everyone for the advice. :D
I went to Joe Tackle this Sunday and took 2 hours to go over all the rods available there.
I chose the following:
  • Highland Seahawk Graphite HLD902HS rod:
    • Length: 9 feet
    • Action: Heavy
    • Line Wt: 18-35 LB
  • Haibao C6 Reel 40F:
  • 25 lb Mono Line 0.32 mm diameter:
The rod is the one which appealed to me most (and also cost was lesser for the specs it offered). The others I liked was Lemax one but double the price.
The shop owner tested the rod for strength and while I held the base of the rod, he pushed the rod-tip down to show the strength of the rod. It took immense power to be bent and I think I can catch a Shark with it now :p
Reel was along with the other Tomman reels and I got the one with most ball bearings. Dunno if ball bearings have any significance in reel performance.
As for the line, I saw the Lemax 24K lines and found that it had the lowest diameter for high lbs (as Peace suggested) but cost was 12$. I looked around and saw Seahawk line (I think 0.o ) with the same diameter 0.32 mm for 25 lb line for 3$. So I bought it...

I still haven't used the rod, waiting for my office fishing trip this Saturday. Please let me know what you guys think on this setup.
My Weapons:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Hey, I thought you wanted Shimano products. ;) Personally, I would still go with Shimano even if we're getting budget items. As for the reel, bearing count may not be the most important. Crank and compare between reels to get the actual feel of the smoothness, Shimano reels known to for their smooth cranking reels so do check them out.

As for Highland, the the rod is probably well worth its price. Do take note of the components used in the rods too, like the reel seat, guides and rings and how resistant these component are to corrosion. If there's a budget rod that uses Fuji components, it's worth putting some consideration into it.

Not much I can say about the line except it's cheap for sure. :lol: A cheap line with well tied knots won't break easy.

Have you dropped by Tan Thong Cheong for a look? They have quite a few budget tackles besides Shimano ones. Prices are reasonable and there are discounts.

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

You can catch a shark with it...Bamboo shark!xP
Okay im just joking but still...nice combo!
18-35Pds is good for southern,changi and shallower parts of some malaysian islands like Pulau Pemanggil for fishing...
From wht i hear,Pulau Pemanggil has abundance of fish including the sagai,tenggri,snapper,bream(small),Random species of trevally(caught on apollo)selar(big one not small ones=0),stingray,barracuda.....
Too many liao...i dun wan to type all down.
Peace suggestion is very understandable.Fuji is a very well know rod guide maker.
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Post by noobANGLER »

Grawpy wrote:Hi Friends,

This is my first post in this forum and I would like advice to buy a fishing rod-reel combo upto $100. :confused:

My History:
I was interested in fishing when I saw many people fishing at ECP and the the spark for passion was triggered when I saw a fishing spinning rod combo in Giant. It was a pretty cheap combo for 12$ (most probably for children :o ). Not knowing anything about fishing, I brought the rod along with some hooks and sinkers. I learned casting by watching youtube videos and anglers at ECP.
I broke the rod after a few tries at Labrador Park due to a very heavy float I attached foolishly to the line. :shocked: Anyway the rod had a very bad cheap plastic handle which broke and I mended the rod with Superglue and tying it tightly with rope (which doubled up as a grip for the handle). :cool:
After that the rod never gave any trouble and worked perfectly (even when I casted as hard as possible for throwing the 10 gm lures very far) as I practiced a lot of casting at Bedok Jetty, Bukit Batok Town Park and Pandan Reservoir. I brought some Surecatch lures and tried luring too but didn't catch any fish. One Big Toman actually ignored all my attempts of luring at BBTP. I cast around it, ahead and on it too, but it was not interested. This happened twice the same day. :cry:
:fish: The fishes that I caught were tambans using the rod and medium sized Scorpion Fish, Puffer Fish and Tilapia (all on handline) and a small baby Octopus.
Now, that I'm somewhat confident in fishing, I need a better setup mainly because there's a fishing trip organised by my company next Saturday at Pasir Ris Pond.

Requirements for a new setup
  • Type of Rod:
    • Spinning Rod of atleast 7 feet or more (which one is better Graphite/Carbon?).
    • Preferable Telescopic or Multi-section (Easy for transport).
    • Saltwater & Freshwater both
  • Reel: Spinning Reel with drag compatible with the rod and line.
  • Line: Suited for Luring in freshwater as well as long casting at Bedok Jetty/Labrador Park. Color/Test/Thickness?
  • Target Fish: Peacock Bass, Toman, Grouper, KBL.
  • Budget: Upto $100 (for Rod, Reel and Line).
Please let me know any specific models to look for, I would prefer Shimano rods/reels if they come in this price range.

P.S. Sorry for this long post, since I believe it'll be easier for members to advise me if I can give maximum info to you... :)
How about a set for $50??? Can???

Grawpy
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Grawpy »

noobANGLER wrote: How about a set for $50??? Can???
Actually got the set for $75.
Rod is Seahawk one made by Highland. I think they have Fuji components. Not sure though, how to check if the guides are SiC or not?
http://www.team-seahawk.com/C/Products/Rods

Peace, you are right. I tried various knots on the 25 lb line and tried to break off the line. Some knots were very weak. But some were strong enough to justify a 25 lb line test.
The line is too made by Seahawk only and is very thin for that many lbs test.
http://www.tce-sports.com/pro-line.html
My Weapons: