rod modification

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Mr.LURE
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing,handline fishing

rod modification

Post by Mr.LURE »

i got a spinning 6.5 ft. rod,can i add more guides 2 it 2 make a baitcast rod???

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Re: rod modification

Post by Chatellany »

Hello. someone correct me if I'm wrong. Firstly even or a spinning model u cant just add guides like that. When u add guides the distance between each guide is altered thus most of the time ppl tend to either change a particular guide that's broken or to change the whole set of stock guides.

For baitcasting rods we do know that there are generally always more guides so while adding two guides may make it a BC rod, you may have to strip of the original guides and make good judgement of the distance between each guide plus adding of guides. I would suggest u go to a pro for that.
This is based on what I think I hope it's not wrong. And I'm sorry if I wrote a whole chunk of wrong info here haha.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, although it can work but it's not advisable. Adding additional guides will give uneven load distribution across the rod, you will need to reseat all the guides.

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Yeap yeap ... they are right.
You cannot just add 2 guides and a spinning becomes a BC.
It don't work this way ...

Rod itself can be custom made into either a spinning or bc.
But once it's set as spinning or bc ...
You will have have to stripe the rod to it's bare to rebuild it in order to change it.

Mr.LURE
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing,handline fishing

Post by Mr.LURE »

isit more worth the money for me 2 modify my rod completely or jus bur a bc rod???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Unless there's a special reason that you want to keep using that blank, it's usually better to buy a totally new rod. Keep the old spinning as backup. :)