Pond Fishing Advice

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

al23
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Pond Fishing, Boat Fishing, Jetty Fishing
Prawning, Squid Fishing

Pond Fishing Advice

Post by al23 »

Hi all,

I am a newbie to fishing and to this forum.
Been trying to get my wife hooked on fishing as well. So we've been trying out the ponds.

But not sure what I am doing. Ppl around me all got fish, but I sometimes don't even get a bite.
I tried bottom fishing for promfret and live prawn for KBL.

Any tips on rigging for live prawns? Does it work better with or without float? And how long should the lead be?
Any particular pond that has better rate or chances? Any specific timing?

Appreciate any kind of help! Thank you!

noobANGLER
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: lure fishing and handline fishing and squid fishing

Re: Pond Fishing Advice

Post by noobANGLER »

al23 wrote:Hi all,

Been trying to get my wife hooked on fishing as well. So we've been trying out the ponds.

But not sure what I am doing. Ppl around me all got fish, but I sometimes don't even get a bite.

Any tips on rigging for live prawns? Does it work better with or without float? And how long should the lead be?

Oh...you shouldn't be using float on the rig but just a sinker.The rig you can use is the apollo rig.And live prawns are the best!!!And you can try fishing at the pasir ris pond.Good luck!!! :D

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

generally speaking, baiting, parking or float rig is relaxing, yet boring to me. so here's what i would do.
have a leader tied with single hook. a split shot clamp onto the leader.

have it clamp gently onto your leader. purpose of it, so as to achieve some casting distance.
you can do without it too.

have your leader attached to your main line with with snap swivel. hook a piece of live prawn. cast it into the pond. let it sink. remember to set your drag.

30 secs, 1 min no take. slow crank it. 2 cranks, 3 cranks. randomly. purpose, to let your bait rest different gound hoping it reaches the mouth of a fish.
this technique is what most call spinning live bait. *correct me if i am wrong* first cast no take, take 1 2 steps to either left right repeat the technique again. go round the pond. your chances will be very much higher.

go to the corners, dead end, structures etc. fish swims straight ahead only, they don't have reverse gears. they will siwm away but still in straight ahead direction.

if you know the depth of the pond you're fishing at, would be a bonus. set your leader length such that it reaches the bottom or even as close as possible. most fishes are bottom feeder, snapper, threadfin, grouper.

a more suitable rig for your wife my guess would be the float rig. with one end shorter. the shorter for your hook, the longer end for your float.
do a http://www.animatedknots.com/dropperloo ... dknots.com

the center is for your swivel. normally the average depth should be about chest height of a 1.7m tall person.

good luck :D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Hi al23, welcome to HLF. I see others have already given some very helpful suggestions already. I personally don't do fishing but I've been to Ponds to watch people fish. Spinning rig suggested by SGPU is a good way to fish even if you're not familiar the hot spots in the pond. Spinning will allow you to cover a wide area and probing for fish at different corners, it's hard to use if there are many anglers using floaters though.

Float and sinking both works, but you must pay attention to bait stealers in the pond. Some ponds are infested with chromides and tilapia and your live prawn may not survive long enough till a fish you want comes along. Make sure your bait is always there especially during the hot hours like the release time. For hooking the live prawn, you can hook it from the bottom of the prawn and out from the top on the last or 2nd last segment of the tail. Make sure you don't hit the black line if you want it to stay alive. If you're not too confident, you can hook it from the side.

For spinning wise, it's not too important if the prawn is still alive as you'll be manually moving the bait. The prawn eyes will still remain quite reflective if it hasn't died for too long. Pay attention to how you hook the prawn, make sure it doesn't spin when you retrieve it.

Alternatively, you may want to get your wife to try out prawning first. It doesn't involve too much physical work, and she can sit beside you and fish. :p

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Hi al23 and a warm welcome to our little fishing community here in Handlinefishing.com :rootbeer:

It is really nice and smart of you to try and get your wife to be hook to fishing.
But let me warn you ... you might just regret what you are trying to do now ... lol !
Just a joke don't worry and read too much into the lines.
But too keep you off scratching your head not knowing what I am referring to ...

Here's the answer ...
We are a couple who enjoy fishing. thank to my ah dear who got me hook to fishing. :thumbsup:
I am enjoying it so so so much ... We have progress from small game fishing to big game fishing.
And my favourite pass time is go shopping.
Not in Taka or Plaza Sing ... is to tackle shop.
Buy me a Gucci or prada ? No thanks !
I will be more happy to receive a Stella or Exist ... :yay:

Got the hint ? ;)

Alright, some serious tips for you ...
I am not a pond person coz the thrill I get from wild fishes is too hard to resist.
Pond fishing is a good way to start off fishing for a couple when the wife do not fish.
A great way to spend some quality time together building a life long hobby.

Will suggest you target for KBL instead of promfret.
Promfret has very small mouth and are very sensitive fish so you need to have some skill to catch them.
But if you are going just for fun ... no harm having some fun with it.

For KBL ... simplest method is the use of a floater with live prawns.
You notice during "releasing"time ... all anglers cast their bait around the openings net area ...
so they will catch the very hungry fish just being released.
KBL loves to lurk very close to the banks ... you can try cast your live prawns just 1-2 ft away from the banks to try your luck.
Of course ... it will also depend on which pond you are fishing at ...
Best way is to make friends with angler fishing besides you. :nod:

al23
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Prawning, Squid Fishing

Post by al23 »

noobANGLER wrote:

Oh...you shouldn't be using float on the rig but just a sinker.The rig you can use is the apollo rig.And live prawns are the best!!!And you can try fishing at the pasir ris pond.Good luck!!! :D
Thank you all for the warm welcome and GREAT advice!
Noob - Thank you for replying so fast. It was encouraging! Btw, which pasir ris pond were u referring to? the ones at the inner tracks or nearer to mrt?
SGPU - Thank you for the very detailed and useful advice! I will definately try the spinning technique. But can I check w u if my leader should be heavier than my main line? I am not really sure of the depth of the pond, so i guess it will be wo float for now. :) Thank you so much!
PEACE - Firstly, can i just ask, why are u in a fishing forum if u dun fish? Just curious. :shocked: we've tried prawning many times before so now we're tryin 'bigger' catches. hehehe. since ur a frequent 'watcher' at these ponds, any suggestions on the best times to fish? early morn, mid afternoon or late eve? when there's sun or at night?
DBS - Thanks for your reply! reply glad to hear from e other gender's perspective. I think i might have just bought her her last LV. ;) we actually just returned from a trip to krabi. hired our private boat and she caught a nice size barracuda. so that should set her one her way. Just that we (me included) have not caught anythin in singapore yet. my concern abt using floats is that it wont reach the bottom. That's where KBLs are right?

Also, u guys got good suggestions for locations? Pay ponds or jettys? Somewhere w lots of fishes, deep waters (dun have to cast far - like jetty or pier?) and timing?

Thanks again all for your time and kind help! It is truly encouraging to have such great tips and advice for a novice fisherman like me! :D

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Krabi !!! <3 <3 I am planning for one too ... ;)

Interesting to know can actually charter a boat for fishing ...
Will be great if you can forward some infos for me ... via pm.
Where to stay, cost of charter etc etc ... thanks ah =)

If you want some real monster fish, can head to FW3.
It's a CnR pond though ... which means catch and release.

Fishing pond ... I leave this to fellow experts.

Jetties ... BJT is one which has deep waters and "many" fish.
Tamban comes in schools ... it's great fun hooking some up as bait or food.
Try your luck with grouper, direct drop but beware of pillars and structures.

Punggol jetty is under construction at the moment ...
The high walls still can fish but I doubt your wife will like it coz no shade at all.

Another place where you both can do fishing is Changi Kelong Walk ....
Fishing along the center of the two huts ... direct drop again but take note of the many many stilts.
If you are game for some squid fun ... this is the place for it too.

Have fun fishing. :fish:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Heh, I meant to say 'Pond Fishing'. I used to go Taman Jurong and Bishan fishing pond, but they're all closed now. For the best times to go, I guess it depends on the time slots of each fishing pond. I used to see people go early in the morning to fish before the release time, it's usually more quiet and you'll be fishing the leftover fishes from the previous night before they release the fish for today.

People often like to go a day after public holidays too because ponds like Pasir Ris Pond usually host competition on these days and will release big fish. And if they're not caught during the competition...well, you get the idea. ;)

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

al23 wrote:
Noob - Thank you for replying so fast. It was encouraging! Btw, which pasir ris pond were u referring to? the ones at the inner tracks or nearer to mrt?
SGPU - Thank you for the very detailed and useful advice! I will definately try the spinning technique. But can I check w u if my leader should be heavier than my main line? I am not really sure of the depth of the pond, so i guess it will be wo float for now. :) Thank you so much! what do you mean ar???

usually, people use a thicker leader. 1) serves as a shock leader. catch a KIM, pay attention to how it struggle. (most likely you wouldn't realized what's going on while there a struggle at the other end, let alone your wife's name in memory while you are in a fight)in the day you might be able to catch a glimpse of it, surfacing off the water. kim got no teeth, they don chew with their jaws, they suck, they devour with their gills. 2) if the kim sucks real hard, the hook/ bait might be in its stomach already. you are bound to experience it someday so long as you don't quit pond fishing too soon. :lol: so what happen is, the hook might be in its stomach, and the leader (thin ones)would be chaffing against the abrasive mouth, it would snap. that's why some people uses thinker leader like 30lbs etc. catch one kim, man handle it with your fingers into its mouth AVOID contacting its gills. else regret it.

PEACE - Firstly, can i just ask, why are u in a fishing forum if u dun fish? Just curious. :shocked: we've tried prawning many times before so now we're tryin 'bigger' catches. hehehe. since ur a frequent 'watcher' at these ponds, any suggestions on the best times to fish? early morn, mid afternoon or late eve? when there's sun or at night?
DBS - Thanks for your reply! reply glad to hear from e other gender's perspective. I think i might have just bought her her last LV. ;) we actually just returned from a trip to krabi. hired our private boat and she caught a nice size barracuda. so that should set her one her way. Just that we (me included) have not caught anythin in singapore yet. my concern abt using floats is that it wont reach the bottom. That's where KBLs are right? regarding float rigs. best solution i have is. observe those who lands fishes with a float rig, estimate their length use it should get you somewhere :D

Also, u guys got good suggestions for locations? Pay ponds while i was still doing pay pond. i always prefer the bigger pasir ris pond. going round the pond, spinning live bait. less boring sitting one corner waiting for things to happen. that's just not me. or jettys?i always like CBW. http://www.wildsingapore.com/places/cbw.htm got reefs but no toilet. at night got suqid, while you are there. check the walkway 'black ink'. i feel the water is livelier there. i'd seen red snapper, heard sting rays, caught kim, gu hood, leather jacket, sand whitings and threadfin. oh deep water too Somewhere w lots of fishes, deep waters (dun have to cast far - like jetty or pier?) and timing? bra the. so long there's water, there's fishes. you can have all the skills, learnt all the techniques, bought the most exotic tackles but if the fish is stuck up for the day, there's only so much luck one can have. even when you go to pay pond, there are still chances one might go home empty handed. 'never say never' :o

Thanks again all for your time and kind help! It is truly encouraging to have such great tips and advice for a novice fisherman like me! :D
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

al23
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Prawning, Squid Fishing

Post by al23 »

Hi all!

Sorie for disappearing for so long. Been away for work.

As soon as I got back I headed to the pond for a quickie. It was raining so nobody ard except for me n another guy. He caught a nice prompret. I got 4 bites but they all got away. One of the "experts" there told me I should use lighter (below 20 punds) leader cos the water is too clear. I did that but all 4 got away cos they saw under the structure. Damn Sian! Should I use heavier leader now? or is there a technique I am missing? Like immediately reeling (from e pt of striking) away from the obstacles? Need help!

al23
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Prawning, Squid Fishing

Post by al23 »

dBs™ wrote:Krabi !!! <3 <3 I am planning for one too ... ;)

Interesting to know can actually charter a boat for fishing ...
Will be great if you can forward some infos for me ... via pm.
Where to stay, cost of charter etc etc ... thanks ah =)

If you want some real monster fish, can head to FW3.
It's a CnR pond though ... which means catch and release.

Fishing pond ... I leave this to fellow experts.

Jetties ... BJT is one which has deep waters and "many" fish.
Tamban comes in schools ... it's great fun hooking some up as bait or food.
Try your luck with grouper, direct drop but beware of pillars and structures.

Punggol jetty is under construction at the moment ...
The high walls still can fish but I doubt your wife will like it coz no shade at all.

Another place where you both can do fishing is Changi Kelong Walk ....
Fishing along the center of the two huts ... direct drop again but take note of the many many stilts.
If you are game for some squid fun ... this is the place for it too.

Have fun fishing. :fish:

Lemme noe if u need e contacts for the pte charter. It's not cheap though. I think ard 6,000 baht for half day. There's a chaeper option, long boats. But only for those more in tune w e motion of e ocean. :)
We stayed on krabi itself. Centara Grand. A lil bit inconvenient cos u will need to take their ferry to get to the hotel. no other way in. If u still keen, lemme noe. I've got vouchers for free upgrade. can pass you. :)
Otherwise, there are plenty of vendors (aka tourist info booths) ard town for you to pick from for activities. Do shop ard. Diff vendors, diff price. Can bargain also.

Was tryin to look for the changi kelong walk. where excatly is it? seems like a lot of people there. very fulll. :( for squid fishing, do i need to cast out far? I am very keen on this. but fri nite sure a lot of ppl right?

al23
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Prawning, Squid Fishing

Post by al23 »

sgpu wrote:
al23 wrote:
SGPU - Thank you for the very detailed and useful advice! I will definately try the spinning technique. But can I check w u if my leader should be heavier than my main line? I am not really sure of the depth of the pond, so i guess it will be wo float for now. :) Thank you so much! what do you mean ar??? Will fish w sinker for now. not confident w float

usually, people use a thicker leader. 1) serves as a shock leader. catch a KIM, pay attention to how it struggle. (most likely you wouldn't realized what's going on while there a struggle at the other end, let alone your wife's name in memory while you are in a fight)in the day you might be able to catch a glimpse of it, surfacing off the water. kim got no teeth, they don chew with their jaws, they suck, they devour with their gills. 2) if the kim sucks real hard, the hook/ bait might be in its stomach already. you are bound to experience it someday so long as you don't quit pond fishing too soon. :lol: so what happen is, the hook might be in its stomach, and the leader (thin ones)would be chaffing against the abrasive mouth, it would snap. that's why some people uses thinker leader like 30lbs etc. catch one kim, man handle it with your fingers into its mouth AVOID contacting its gills. else regret it.
I confirm what u meant here. my bites all disappear. local expert suggested thinner leader saying fish there smart n can see e leader during clear water, so wont bite. but got price to pay. cannot bring up. all my lines fray as soon as they swim under. but man, do they fight. its godamn addictive. How heavy u think i should go yea? my reel is abt 25 pounds

DBS - Thanks for your reply! reply glad to hear from e other gender's perspective. I think i might have just bought her her last LV. ;) we actually just returned from a trip to krabi. hired our private boat and she caught a nice size barracuda. so that should set her one her way. Just that we (me included) have not caught anythin in singapore yet. my concern abt using floats is that it wont reach the bottom. That's where KBLs are right? regarding float rigs. best solution i have is. observe those who lands fishes with a float rig, estimate their length use it should get you somewhere :D

Also, u guys got good suggestions for locations? Pay ponds while i was still doing pay pond. i always prefer the bigger pasir ris pond. going round the pond, spinning live bait. less boring sitting one corner waiting for things to happen. that's just not me. or jettys?i always like CBW. http://www.wildsingapore.com/places/cbw.htm got reefs but no toilet. at night got suqid, while you are there. check the walkway 'black ink'. i feel the water is livelier there. i'd seen red snapper, heard sting rays, caught kim, gu hood, leather jacket, sand whitings and threadfin. oh deep water too Somewhere w lots of fishes, deep waters (dun have to cast far - like jetty or pier?) and timing? bra the. so long there's water, there's fishes. you can have all the skills, learnt all the techniques, bought the most exotic tackles but if the fish is stuck up for the day, there's only so much luck one can have. even when you go to pay pond, there are still chances one might go home empty handed. 'never say never' :o

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by sgpu »

al23 wrote: I confirm what u meant here. my bites all disappear. local expert suggested thinner leader saying fish there smart n can see e leader during clear water, so wont bite. but got price to pay. cannot bring up. all my lines fray as soon as they swim under. but man, do they fight. its godamn addictive. How heavy u think i should go yea? my reel is abt 25 pounds (i don't understand what you mean)

in terms of 25lbs, it's either the reel's weight or max drag, so how about you stating your reel model?

you are most welcome with your willingness to experienced what we once went through, too . . . :lol:
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Can you guys not reply within quoted text, it makes me dizzy reading and I don't know what to reply to. :confused: Anyway, for the pomfret fishing, you may want to try using fluorocarbon leader lines. They have good abrasion resistant properties and low visibility in water. Just be ready at your rod when the fish bites, make sure you have relatively high drag on and yank them away from the structures.

Here's the map to the Kelong Walk, I'm not sure exactly which part people fish for the squids though. On friday nights and weekends, it's usually a crowd.