Where can I get live octopus as bait?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Where can I get live octopus as bait?

Post by darren »

hey, anyone one out there know where can i get live octopus as bait? and the cost?

edited by Peace: added title for better presentation.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

I don't know anywhere that sells live octopus, maybe those marine aquarium shops? Or you can try the shop at Pasir Panjang that sells live seafood, I think it is called Matahari Fishing Shop. They have live cuttlefish but I doubt they have live octopus.

You probably have to catch them yourself. I had caught them on lines and hooks on a few occasions at Labrador Park a few years back.

Is there a special reason for using live octopus over other easier forms of available baits like squids? Do share it with us. :mischieve:

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

i see a guy at bjt using it and the hit rate is good. ask him where to get and he just smile to me ! maybe can try get it at japan susi store?

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

i nvm try this bait before that y i wonder where he can get it. after fishing is more on luck:)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I suppose the effect of the octopus is quite similar to that of a squid, given both is either fresh or live. Lots of predatory fish like snappers, groupers and even certain trevallies will like squids and octopus.

The main difference is the tentacles between squid and octopus, with the octopus having all long tentacles. I suppose it makes a better presentation if played with a jig head, spreading the tentacles on release and closing on pulling, much like a live octopus. Perhaps even better.

Anyone else tried using octopus before?

chanturtle
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive

Post by chanturtle »

i don't quite agree with the "fishing is all about luck" part as for most fishing spots, if you don't know what kind of fish it has, using the wrong bait even at the best time will be useless as the fishes will not be biting. Sometimes it is good for u to check out the fishing spot first before actually fishing there. :nod: :thumbsup:
An Ordinary BoY FiSHiNG ALL RoUnD SiNGaPORe

redsnapper
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by redsnapper »

Peace wrote:Anyone else tried using octopus before?
If I caught a octopus , I won't used it for fishing. :lol: Unless it is a blue ring octopus . LOL :D I will donate to darren . :o

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

:lol:

domvonn
Line Mastery
Line Mastery

Post by domvonn »

redsnapper wrote:
Peace wrote:Anyone else tried using octopus before?
If I caught a octopus , I won't used it for fishing. :lol: Unless it is a blue ring octopus . LOL :D I will donate to darren . :o
blue ring octo u wanna keep ahh ..? :lol:
I am a predatory fish keeper/fisherman/photographer.:)

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

You can try Giant Tampines. Twice I went there to get those fresh (dead ones) baby squids for fishing. When I took the tongs to flip the whole basket of baby squids looking for small ones, i found a couple of baby octopus. Everytime, I got about 5~8 pieces out of the basket.

Same price charged... S$ 0.59 per 100 Gram. Will probably try again this weekend.

Very good size and very fresh. The juices in the head still intact, cos when I put the hook into it, pickish pus started to drip out...

But so far used it at SAF Yacht Club Jetty, bite rate no so good leh. Maybe should change location.... or maybe change angler la... Ha Ha :p
- Life is Like Fishing - You never know what you gonna catch, or whether you can catch anything at all! :-)

desleyhan
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing

Post by desleyhan »

Now this sounds interesting to me ... Octopus.

I've used 'See Hum', Mussels and the rest of the other usual baits and the bite rates not too bad ..

So this would be something new to me .. will try it out!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the info Antz69, have you caught anything using the little octopus so far? I think it would be interesting to try out using octopus and squid at the same time to see which one works better. :mischieve:

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

thanks you guys for all the commend.

darren
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by darren »

hi Antz69, THANKS FOR YOUR INFD maybe you should try fishing at the end of bjt. t junction IF YOU MANAGE TO GET THE FRESH OCTOPUS. that time see that guy using HANDLINE, bait was live octopus . hit a red grouper, john snapper, and a big fat parrot fish.. POWER MAN. MAYBE HE IS LUCKY?

Antz69
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Antz69 »

So far, my hit rate with the baby Octopus still Nil... Did get chunks of the head or legs bitten off, but I personally feels still better than squid.

Not sure if you guys realise, I find that after a while in the sea, the squid becomes like half-cook... Legs seems get quite hard, like can makan for supper like that. Not so much with the baby Octopus.
- Life is Like Fishing - You never know what you gonna catch, or whether you can catch anything at all! :-)