Typical fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Funkyhertz
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Typical fishing

Post by Funkyhertz »

Hi, new to this forum. I have been fishing at Bedok Jetty for years, but I only caught tambans and recently, kunning (last year). Been using the small hooks the uncle sells there, which was quite effective. Have my own rod and stuff. I am hoping to start fishing fishes that are slightly bigger (i.e. size of snappers/groupers/selar) and so on, but I am totally clueless about the types of hooks and baits to use. Also about the locations of fishing for such fishes.

Not looking into any of those fish specifically but what I would consider is time (that means how rare the fish is), location and so on. Seems like those at Bedok Jetty (whenever I'm there) usually catches tambans, rarely bigger fish. Perhaps somewhere else would be better? I wouldn't mind anywhere else, good recommendations anyone :) ?

I'm not taking fishing as a serious hobby, but something that I engage in occasionally for fun. Hope it'll be fun!

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Re: Typical fishing

Post by sgpu »

welcome funky . . .
nice intro.
with such mentality, its a good start compare to those who are always crying they do not catch anything. fishing, especially locally. the more expectations one has, the more disappointed one will get.

you might want to search some utube videos recorded at BJT?
it is definitely inspiring. . .
take this for example . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySPwcqw ... re=related

observe carefully the environment, which bus stop position, what is his rod's length etc . . .
they are more than just fishes . . .

happy fishing . . . it's definitely one healthy past time. =)
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Hi Funkyhertz, welcome to HLF,

I would suggest that u continue to fish in BJT, as that is where all the biggies are :D
You can have 2 rods, one for catching bait fishes(tamban etc) and another using live/dead baitfish as bait. Live prawns/prawn meat is an alternative, but if u can get tamban over there its good enough.

Hook size ranges from 2/0-3/0, depends on the size of the tamban.
Rig, u can either buy ready made rig or self tied urself. The popular rigs are apollo and lsbf Click on the wordings to view.
Species u can get over there with tamban as bait are queenfish, wolf herring, snappers, string rays and many more.
Weight, be sure that ur weight can go all the way to the bottom, from 2J-7J(depends on current). **Be sure ur rod is able to handle the weights !!

For groupers u can drop ur bait down near structures, they are lurking over there, u just have to find the right structure in BJT. U get what i mean ? :eyebrow:

Do mix around and get to know the regulars there. Chit chat with them and they'll teach u a trick or so, just follow their method and u'll get ur "bigger fish" sooner or later :p Have fun ! :beer:
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

dBs™
HLF Pal
HLF Pal

Post by dBs™ »

Hey hey hey ... HLF's patrol team is on the ball ~ nice job there Vidic and SGPU. :thumbsup:

Welcome funky ... hope your fishing gets funkier each trip !
The guys said it all ... BJT is a nice place to fish.
Since you started it there ... I am sure you want to land yourself a biggie there to make it even more meaningful.
Be it BJT or any other legal fishing spot ... you have to know the place well.
Put it simple, you need to know your target.
Those regular at BJT had spend many hours studying the terrains, species lurking in those waters,
their fishing habits and what types of bait to catch which type of fish.
No hurry in learning all those and it can never be done in a day ... it takes time and lots of patience.
In general, prawns is the universal bait suitable for all types of fishing.
The best bait available is the bait you catch at your fishing spot. ;)
Oh ohh ... don't forget to make friend with the angler fishing besides you and see a new friendship blossoms.

Good luck and see you reporting back with a decent catch soon ~ :clover:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Very good advice from all the people, that leaves me nothing much to add on. :lol: BJT also have my vote, considering all the available legal spots left in our shores. What sort of tackles are you using right now? You can consider getting a surf set to try out at the jetty and if it still doesn't work well you can use it for fishing along the beaches and breakwaters of ECP.

Try targeting a few classes of fishes at the same time to keep yourself busy and entertained. For example, you can have one surf rod baiting with tamban, one 6 footer using live/dead prawns, and another light tackle for jigging tambans or to bait for small fishes. You should be very occupied just checking and catching baits and targeting fishes of different 'rarity' at the same time. BJT happens to be a very suitable place for this sort of fishing.

Welcome to HLF, Funkyhertz. :)

Funkyhertz
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by Funkyhertz »

Haha thanks all, great advice. Bought a 2/0 and 3/0 from Harbourfront... Anyway, went back last friday to Bedok jetty at around 4:30pm... High tide, usually is the time I go there to fish, and usually high tide is when I get tambans and fishes alike.

Brought a friend who has never went fishing before (but she did prawning!) to fish. Sadly, there weren't much fishes. Like I only caught <20 fishes, which are super small (~5cm?), over a period of 4 hours. So I didn't bother taking any pictures of them to upload, sorry. And my plan for using the 2/0 and 3/0 hooks were scrapped because I doubt there would be any slightly bigger fishes. Sigh.

Oh well, will go back in like maybe 6 weeks time, when some of my other friends are free enough to find time out of army (and mine too!) to go fishing.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

The hook size is correct if you're targeting for bigger fishes. Those baitfish (tambans) you catch at the jetty will go nicely with those hooks you bought. Bait them live on a cable car right and just wait for a biggie to come while you go have fun with tamban jigging. :)

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

But..if u want a ALMOST surefire way to catch a biggie,go to FW3.
Thats a paypond...DBs shld know.
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~