What is this fish called?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Newbie

What is this fish called?

Post by James_Nor »

i try search your pic but none look like this fish lehz.. so anyone can tell me?

Lurer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Luring

Re: What is this fish called?

Post by Lurer »

its a patin~ :)

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by James_Nor »

patin? haha peace .. update your what the fish liao.. i wanna know more about it.. =x

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

James_Nor wrote:patin? haha peace .. update your what the fish liao.. i wanna know more about it.. =x
http://www.forums.handlinefishing.com/v ... f=8&t=3897
here's the link to the what the fish page.... pics were contributed by me and if possible, please do take a good picture of your fish and share it with us! :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, I do need a good picture that I can crop out from and put it on the main site. So if anyone has a good shot of the fish I would be glad to have it. :kiss:

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

Patin is Pangasius...but I don't know how to differentiate the several types of similar looking catfish. Pangasius sp, Pangasius bocourti, Pangasius hypopthalmus .... There could be several other species.
Some patins looks greyish and some looks quite blackish, like those from aquarium shop.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Thanks for the info BeachBum. I'm not familiar with these catfish myself, let alone catching one. :o We certainly can use more pictures for comparison.

James_Nor
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by James_Nor »

aiyo by the time u replied i already cut the fish into half le.. the taste of the fish is so muddy lo.. not nice..

Stevefisherman
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Im Interested in lure fishing and offshore fishing

Post by Stevefisherman »

Patin

shendoh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by shendoh »

James_Nor wrote:aiyo by the time u replied i already cut the fish into half le.. the taste of the fish is so muddy lo.. not nice..
Patin, I caught quite a few at the bird park pay pond. It's very fatty when u cut it. The staff told me tat jus fillet the meat and throw the rest away then coat it with flour and fried it. Mix with those ready sauce like sweet n sour or blackpepper curry oso can. My mum tried with curry its actually quite nice

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

shendoh wrote:
James_Nor wrote:aiyo by the time u replied i already cut the fish into half le.. the taste of the fish is so muddy lo.. not nice..
Patin, I caught quite a few at the bird park pay pond. It's very fatty when u cut it. The staff told me tat jus fillet the meat and throw the rest away then coat it with flour and fried it. Mix with those ready sauce like sweet n sour or blackpepper curry oso can. My mum tried with curry its actually quite nice
ouch! wasted sia.... for me i prefer having it steamed or cooked in assam by the zi char stall downstairs :D you only pay for the ingredients

shendoh
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by shendoh »

patrick2405 wrote:
shendoh wrote:
ouch! wasted sia.... for me i prefer having it steamed or cooked in assam by the zi char stall downstairs :D you only pay for the ingredients
U mean the stall at bird park didn't noe they do tat