Size Of Hooks

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Size Of Hooks

Post by Newguy »

I would to learn more with the size of the hooks and the diff fshes it can get...

For Exp:
Size 1=Wad Fishes is best
Size 2=wad fishes usually hook on

Coz i have been fishing at west coast canal using size 1(small) hook i got a lot of mengkerong and have lost 4 times to kbl which in juz within reach only... When i change to size 2 it was the same but when i change to 3 and bigger i always lose my bait is it bcoz of the size of the hook or the way i put my bait....

To all bro and pro if u guys can help me could u show me a tip or two on the hooks and putting of bait on the hooks...
will appreciate it a lot if u guys could show me with pics and videos to see and explain.
......................................................................................................................................................

Btw which hook is better the hook which hv straight end or bend end..
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Size Of Hooks

Post by Peace »

Choice of hook size depends on the size of the fish and its mouth and also the bait size. You mentioned that you managed to land quite a few mengkerongs on size 1 hook, so should roughly know the minimum size of fish you can get with it. How did you exactly lost the kbls, did the fish threw the hook, line snapped or hook straightened?

There's no one size hook whereby you can get all the fish, so you probably need 2 sets of tackles to cover from small to bigger fishes. There's always trade-offs using small and large hook as you've may have already experienced. I tend to favour larger hooks because of the strength advantage. It is possible to hit fishes with hooks larger than its mouth if you're there to strike your rod.

For a general guide, size 1 is good for cut up pieces of prawn meat. It's difficult to put down a size of fish you can get because it also depends on the type and size of bait you can put on it as well as the material and strength of the hook itself. If you're using the entire prawn or small baitfish, size 2/0 is probably a good choice. For bigger game surf fishing with larger baits like an entire squid, you can use 3/0-5/0.

With regards to losing baits, sometimes it's due to the bait being whipped off the hook (partially or entirely) from casting too hard. This can also due to lack of freshness of the bait whereby its flesh are soggy and easily torn. Fish can easily snipe off the bait thereafter. When hooking prawn meat, try double piercing the bait to get a secure grip on it. ie. two entry and two exits. For larger baits, you can consider using those baiting elastic string you can use to wrap around your bait.

As for choosing between straight and bent-eye fishing hook, it depends on how you tie the hook. Bent eyes are more suitable for snelling and the line can come off straight down the hook eye, I usually prefer these.

Sorry I don't have any illustration to go with.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

how i lose the kbl with size 1(small) hook:

1st:there was no tug at all when reeling in my line the moment i saw the fish which is juz at the side of the canal which is at the stone area the fish swam off surprisingly the hook was actually inside the fish mouth during that moment how i know is by the glance of it...

2nd:Same no tug at all reeling in my reel by the time it reaches the stone area the fish swam off again and this 2 event at the same day with just an interval of 30mins different...

3rd:Was the same like the 1st...1 week later

4th: rod bend like nobody business tug the rod no respond so thought no fish but still reel in quite fast to my surprise at the stone area the fish let go of my hook and swam away with my bait.... 2 later

All kbl should be ard 500 to 1 kg in weight or more coz from the distance i stand which is not far they seems to be very big somewhere abt 12 to 17inches long....

Juz FYI im currently eyeing for kbl only so info on kbl is appreciated such hook and great fishing spot for kbl.....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It seems that you did not set the hook when the fish took the bait, that's why the fish was able to throw the hook easily. You should keep an eye on your rod tip and also see if the line suddenly slackens. If the fish has swam towards you, you'll need to taut the line first and give it the rod a strike to set the hook.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Maybe ure rite coz during when reel in i thought there was no bite and when i tug it there was no reaction so i reel in slowly by giving the KBL ample time to release the hook by the time it reaches the stone area...

Do you have any good spot for KBL beside west coast canal

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

I'm using Technic "Black High Carbon Special Steel Forged" hooks. The label says size 20, but I think it is about the same size as the 2/0 hooks of other brands. Gets rusty after one trip, and have to be discarded but quite sharp. I caught several Kims with it on handline ,float and using live prawns. Other brands might be mustad red hooks or Daiichi maybe...
few weeks ago, I didn't set the hook, the fish hook itself. Yesterday, I tired a few times helicopter spinning out the bait but not satisfied with the distance, one fish came out of nowhere and take the bait in a flash. I set hook immediately, but I had use a copolymer line as leader instead of clear mono, and the fish somehow managed to break the 25lb line, hehe...sucky feeling, but there is always another time.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

BeachBum wrote:I'm using Technic "Black High Carbon Special Steel Forged" hooks. The label says size 20, but I think it is about the same size as the 2/0 hooks of other brands. Gets rusty after one trip, and have to be discarded but quite sharp. I caught several Kims with it on handline ,float and using live prawns. Other brands might be mustad red hooks or Daiichi maybe...
few weeks ago, I didn't set the hook, the fish hook itself. Yesterday, I tired a few times helicopter spinning out the bait but not satisfied with the distance, one fish came out of nowhere and take the bait in a flash. I set hook immediately, but I had use a copolymer line as leader instead of clear mono, and the fish somehow managed to break the 25lb line, hehe...sucky feeling, but there is always another time.
what is "helicopter spinning out the bait" 0.o ?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

High carbon steel hooks are often strong and sharp (especially those that are chemically sharpened). They aren't very rust resistant once their coating wears off, if any. Rusty hooks can be dangerous to keep and stains your tackle box. Stainless steel hooks have the advantage of reusability but it tends to be kind of soft.

Copolymer are supposedly very strong lines compared to typical nylon lines, your leader probably suffered abrasion somewhere.

I believe the 'helicopter spinning' refers to the casting method, much like how a cowboy swings his lasso. I never got used to that though, I prefer pendulum swing.
Newguy wrote:Do you have any good spot for KBL beside west coast canal
Pulau Ubin is a good place to hunt for KBLs, but I'm not sure of the exact spot.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

spot on in orite beside pulau Ubin do u hv any sinland spot in singapore

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

patrick2405 wrote: what is "helicopter spinning out the bait" 0.o ?
I was using handlines, the casting distance is 5-8m only.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

BeachBum wrote:
patrick2405 wrote: what is "helicopter spinning out the bait" 0.o ?
I was using handlines, the casting distance is 5-8m only.
oh lols i tot you were using rod and reel hahas

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Beside Pulau Ubin do U guys hv any other good spot for KBL @ inland Singapore

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

There used to be good spots along punggol to Lor Halus, but that's all closed up due to the construction of the reservoir.