Cable Car Rig.

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Cable Car Rig.

Post by rawblue »

Hi guys,

been trying to fish at bjt with cable car rig with no success.

I have a simple cable car rig setup.

Mainline 15lbs Braided >> Snap Swivel >> 30g Sinker .

12lbs MonoFilament with abt 1 and a half arms length leader hook on to 2/0 Beak hook.

No bites at all. Not sure is it because my hook is spooking the fishes or my spot.

Usually i will be at the T-Junction area.

Is it advisable to attach sinker to mainline directly? I understand Braided is less resistant to abrasion. So i am not sure will wear out my mainline faster this way.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Cable Car Rig.

Post by Peace »

Hi rawblue, welcome to HLF. :)

It's generally okay to attach the swivel/sinker directly to the main line but I personally wouldn't advise doing so. Although it's not really rocky along side of the jetty, you'll find that you can still get snags at time. Those stuff will hurt your main line and it's not easy to detect on braided lines.

Your rig configuration is fine as far as presentation goes, is your bait still alive when you retrieve it back?

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by rawblue »

wow so fast got reply already. Way to go man Peace.

Ermm most of the time yeah except if i use tamban, it get attacks by other small fishes and it dun seem to be able to swim further unlike kuning.

Kuning lasted all the way till night fall while tamban after abt 30-40 mins i see the eyes being gorged out poor guy ....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Heh, I just happened to be browsing the forum. ;) Kunnings are more hardy than tambans but tambans are more attractive to predatory fishes. You may have to pay more attention not to hook the tamban too deep so it can last longer. There's also a reason why there an extension of leader at the end of the rig, it is to prevent the fish from sliding too low near the sea bed where it can get attacked by small fishes. Sometimes, the bait fish gets drag into the layer of mud at the bottom of the seabed and gets suffocated.

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by rawblue »

Weird the other time when i slide the fish down it seems it just wants to stay on the water surface where i can see all the small fishes attacking it. Maybe its because of the current flow.

Another question, do i have to throw cast really far? It seems no matter how far i cast, when i slide the fish down its only 3m away from me. Is this because of the low tide?

I was trying to get the fish further out so that it will be in the small fishes area.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, it can be due to current flow and how taut your line is. If you're fishing against the current, chances are the rig will stay near the surface and very close to you. You can extend the distance in this situation by elevating the line using a longer rod standing upright. Keeping the line slightly more taut means you can push the rig further out abit but you will need to use a heavier sinker to stay put.

Small fishes near the surface typically don't attack your bait fish with exception to those kelong chi, they come in groups and will attack fish bigger than they are. :sweatdrop: