Rod Clamp

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Rod Clamp

Post by rawblue »

Hi guys,

do you have any recommendation for rod clamps? I find it kinda weird to leave the rod leaning on the railing, will this cause damage to the rod?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Rod Clamp

Post by Peace »

It depends on the design of the railing we're talking about here. Take the railing of BJT for example, the top beam of the the railing can be hard for a clamp to grip on due to its width and round profile. Clamping can cause damage to the railing as well so I guess it may not be the best way thing to use.

For BJT railing, you can simply use a short length of pvc pipe and slot at a 45 degrees angle in topmost gap of the railing and secure with bicycle ropes or cable tie. You should be able to see quite a few anglers using this method there. :)

Leaning the rod against the railing is a bad idea, it can damage your line and rod if a big fish decides to take your line. If left unsecured, wind can easily topple your rod too.

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by rawblue »

hi peace,

its me again. This time i come with a bad news. Leaning the rod against the railing is a bad idea, it can damage your line and rod if a big fish decides to take your line. If left unsecured, wind can easily topple your rod too.

Yes it happened this time :(

Still thinking should i get a new rod anot ....

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

What has happened to your rod exactly, is there visible damage? If it just fell on the floor, the rod is probably fine as the fishing line will break the fall a little assuming there wasn't too much slack. What I hate about situations like this is that the reel will often get scratched as well.

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by rawblue »

the whole rod went down into the sea. Nv got it back :(

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's going to cost you, I hope that was an EV version. :sweatdrop:

ilurbtambans
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by ilurbtambans »

rawblue wrote:the whole rod went down into the sea. Nv got it back :(
did a fish pull it down? o.o

rawblue
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by rawblue »

non ev version. Yes a fish pulled it down :(

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

longislandtea wrote:
rawblue wrote:the whole rod went down into the sea. Nv got it back :(
Same thing happened to me at a Kelong in Malaysia. Never in my mind this wil happen - Pull back line which has a dead tamban n leave it about a foot above water. Leave it lying on the kelong railing and check on another rod besides me. Less than 5 mins and I heard a "Tomm...." sound coming. Turn around and rod is gone!!! Brassterra Rod, Ryobi Zauber(japan made), new fire line everything go submarine!!! :rant:

Till this day, I still have no idea what fish did that...
rawblue i found your rod!

haha happy april fools. :) i lost my rod in similar fashion near ubin too

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Expensive lesson... Tat time I was fishing in world trade centre. Left my rod unattended in a rod holder... Rod holder bend... Rod fly out, reel n rod went divinginto the water and never b found... Heng.... Not my rod.... But I was using tat rod which my frn lent me. Very sad... Cos I duno which evil fish did tat.