Problem catching anything but tambans in BJT

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Charles96
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Problem catching anything but tambans in BJT

Post by Charles96 »

Hi guys, Lately me and my buddies have went to BJT to target fishes that are bigger than tamban specifically i was targeting grouper.
I used fresh caught tamban as my bait and used an apollo rig. i dropped it straight down, typically nothing happened :cry:
could someone kindly teach me how to fish the 'right' way at BJT? all I've been catching the past year or so were tambans.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Problem catching anything but tambans in BJT

Post by Peace »

Groupers don't move around much especially if they found a comfortable spot to hide in. So instead of just dropping the line down and wait, walk the bait along the jetty (slowly) to scan for fishes. This will significantly increase your chances of finding a fish, though it may not be a grouper. You can use prawns to walk instead so more species of fishes can take it readily. Also, fish will be more actively feeding when tide turns so be more attentive and hardworking during those times. :)

Charles96
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Charles96 »

Thanks peace (:
but wont there be a ton of people?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Well, the crowd is something you'll have to live with especially if you're fishing on weekends. But the lucky thing is that most people don't direct drop and usually cast far out. You can simply fish between their rods as you go along, be polite when doing so. :)

Charles96
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Charles96 »

Ok (: thanks peace
Tambans can still be used right? and how do we find the seafloor?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, tambans can be used and are infact preferred if you're specifically targeting for groupers. What do you mean by finding the seafloor?

Charles96
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Charles96 »

well. i dont know how to tell when my bait is near the seafloor D:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You'll know that your rig reaches the seabed when your line slacks after dropping. If the current is fast, you'll find that the line drifts away from the jetty. In such situation, use a heavier sinker so that your line can be as vertically down as possible. ie. close to jetty pillars below. Apollo is a suitable rig for such fishing.

BigBait
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf fishing , lure fishing , handline fishing , squid fishing

Post by BigBait »

Hmm i would not say that tambam is prefered for grouper they rather eat live prawns or cut prawns then the freshest or liviest tambam and you could try the rangong rig mainly for bottom fishing to target groupers and anything down there for a start throw straight down but after you got better and getting lesser and lesser snags you can then try under the jetty more productive

just my 2cts

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Groupers are greedy fish but somewhat lazy as well. So long you can get something right front of them, the chances of it taking is very high. They tend to favour bigger baits and tambans are very attractive size to them. Prawns are just as good, and of course the bigger the better.