Just for begginers

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Just for begginers

Post by Peace »

That's the thing about weekends, the popular spots are always crowded. What species of crab was it you caught?

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Mud Crab... Thought of going there again for crabbing and fishing...

Coz during the 3 hours there the tide was going in the canal and the current was strong so i didnt expect from the spot and surprisingly i caught 3 juvenile "tanda" so thought of going to spot again to try out during calm current time coz season beach goer told me that its a good spot...
Maybe next time my luck will get better by the way i was not expecting much coz i was handlining and i didnt get to throw far out and the place is a bit rocky and hv lots of broken tree branches i lose a total of 9 small weight and my friend lose a total of 5 small weight but still worth it coz the Mud Crab we caught was huge..(Sorry no pic to prove it)but still its really damm huge Peace...
It was a surprise that me and my friend that we didnt know what to do lucky there was this China Man who help us pick up the crab and put it inside a plastic bag...
Btw after awhile of fishing or crabbing even if i put the catch in a styrofoam container the catch tend to smell stink what should i do to prevent it...
Sorry Nood Question...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

whats a tanda? its the canal at the forest or the one next to road safety park?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

The mud crab alone would have made the trip a fruitful one. It's a good idea to lay crab traps while you fish. :) You can try bring a keep net to keep your catch alive while you fish. If you want it in a cantainer, you better have some form or aeration or frequent change of water.
QTfisher wrote:whats a tanda? its the canal at the forest or the one next to road safety park?
Tanda is the malay name for Rusell's Snapper.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

If lets say i bleed the fish will the fish still stink...

BTW how do i bleed a fish???

U were saying about keep net thats for fish but wad about crab coz everytime when i go for a fishing trip i tend to bring the cage along as if theres no harvest of fish i will appreciate if there crab for me but if there both i tend to release back wad i dont want...

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by QTfisher »

crabs can be kept alive on dry land ma. no need any net. just stick them in a safe place. for fish u can also bring ice. and theres not much point in bleeding small fish. nothing to bleed. which canal did u go? i tried the one at the forest before but only caught a few smallies.

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by QTfisher »

Peace wrote:The mud crab alone would have made the trip a fruitful one. It's a good idea to lay crab traps while you fish. :) You can try bring a keep net to keep your catch alive while you fish. If you want it in a cantainer, you better have some form or aeration or frequent change of water.
QTfisher wrote:whats a tanda? its the canal at the forest or the one next to road safety park?
Tanda is the malay name for Rusell's Snapper.
russel snapper is Ack?

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

QTfisher wrote:crabs can be kept alive on dry land ma. no need any net. just stick them in a safe place. for fish u can also bring ice. and theres not much point in bleeding small fish. nothing to bleed. which canal did u go? i tried the one at the forest before but only caught a few smallies.
Yup dats the place but i went all the way to mouth of the canal the 1 near the sea and cast my handline there and throw the cage just a few metres after the mouth of the canal and in the middle...

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Btw to the Mod Team Can i open a new Post for Baitcasting so we can learn and share what we know and also exchange stuff/ideas on baitcastiing Reels...

Eg: Baitcasting Reels Model
: Whats best for baitcasting reel

All this would be a good info for ppl who wanna change from spinning reel to baitcasting reel and for begginers like me myself...

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by QTfisher »

i also use spinning reels. why do you wanna change to bc? curious to know so can consider if i also wanna make the switch

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Sure, you can start a new thread. I'm sure it'll be helpful for those going into overhead reels.

@QTfisher: Yes, Russell's Snapper is Ang Zho Kee.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

QTfisher wrote:i also use spinning reels. why do you wanna change to bc? curious to know so can consider if i also wanna make the switch
For me its just that the accuracy i can get from BC rather than spinning coz most of the place i go its all about accuracy of where u cast rather than how far u cast... Easy to say all the fish i want such as KBL and Snakehead is all just less than 50metres away from where i will stand and its all under cover such as trees...

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Just for begginers

Post by Oinkie »

Newguy wrote:
QTfisher wrote:i also use spinning reels. why do you wanna change to bc? curious to know so can consider if i also wanna make the switch
For me its just that the accuracy i can get from BC rather than spinning coz most of the place i go its all about accuracy of where u cast rather than how far u cast... Easy to say all the fish i want such as KBL and Snakehead is all just less than 50metres away from where i will stand and its all under cover such as trees...

I would beg to differ on the accuracy of spinning reels. In fact how accurate and far you cast depends on how much practice you put in. Try using a spinning and cast your weight into a milk can? To me and you is impossible cos we had not practiced enough. I know of such person who can do it at 50m. I asked him what's the secret, this is want he told me: eat, sleep and **** casting.

I had seen some fishing competition requires fishing in the swamp area on cable. The champion uses a spinning by the way.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Sorry but to what i read and see mostly i can say is that its all about accuracy...Distance yes u can get the distance better from spinning reel especially when ure using the pendulum technique its like 2-3 time far and better as what i can say is that im still learning so any mistakes i made do correct me...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I'm not an expert casting with overheads but anglers more or less agree that overheads can cast with greater accuracy than spinning reels, though I believe the difference won't be much if you practise enough and familiar with the reel. Casting accuracy between overheads and spinning can also differ between casting techniques as well.

Overheads will also cast further than a spinning reel but it does need some energy to start the spool rolling. So they lose out at casting very light lures but excel once the lure weight increases.