Just for begginers

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Re: Just for begginers

Post by QTfisher »

are there any other differences? if its just casting accuracy then its just about practice. is there a diff in functions?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

They very different in design in terms of how the line spooled into the reel. Overhead reels typically have better torque than spinning reels which comes in handy when you're reeling in heavy sinkers or fighting a stubborn fish. Overheads (lever drag system) can have two speed designs while spinning doesn't.

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

in simplified summary:
spinning: easy to cast, almost 0 tangle.
OH: harder to cast, more power, different gear setting.

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

Yes,as simple as that. :clover:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

In my personal opinion, one thing I never got used to overheads is the tendency to grip onto the reel and to keep it facing upwards, however little effort is needed. Compared to spinning, I can hold the rod in a very relax manner without the need to worry about balancing the reel. I also believe it makes this effect more apparent when the rod is under load and it tends to turn to its spine's natural position. (unless the spine is aligned with the reel) All these are more apparent with round profiles which are heavier and less apparent with baitcasting design.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

You can go to Changi get a decent set up, Shimano reel + a 12-22lbs rod with line loaded for arond $50buck.
Try Bedok jetty in the morning or evening time. morning around 7-9.30am evening around 4-7pm. Go buy tanman hook from those old man there. no bait required just throw your line in and reel in slowly, or you just watch how the people there is doing it. I was there yesterday morning with my friend for around 2hr we manage to jig around 180 tanman, (total catch should be more than 200, those smaller 1 we realase it back)