Did i do something wrong ?

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

wanrong
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Lure fushing

Did i do something wrong ?

Post by wanrong »

Hi all, i just started fishing 2-3days ago . Bought my set from sincere tackle shop, D.A.M anthena 5'6" + shimano sienna 2500FD, cant remeber what line i bought but its a braided line. Also gotten some seahawk bigstrike minnows lure and tested luring for 2days. Needless to say its very normal to not land a thing but thats not the problem.

I notice i cant cast far enough isit something wrong with my rod length or just my technique? I let out extra line when casting for the further distance. My lure usually flys diagonally and at one point stopped and i believe it should be within +/- 10m range or even lesser than that. How could i improve in my casting distance?

Thank you all for any reply

Edit: i tried luring at upper and lower seletar reservior both around night time period.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Did i do something wrong ?

Post by Peace »

I can't tell for sure if it's your casting technique without actually seeing you cast but consider the factors that affects casting distance.

1. Lure shape and weight. Lures that are more aerodynamic and heavy will let you cast further, the higher the density, the further it can be propulsed out. What is the weight of your lure by the way?

2. Line diameter. You're using braided line so that's already an advantage compared to using mono, the lower the line diameter the further you can cast.

3. Rod length. Effective rod length gives you the advantage to accelerate the lure when you cast which translates to more force into propelling the lure out. However, the longer the rod, the required strength for it to be effective also increases. 5'6" is okay but for open luring spaces, anglers would prefer 6'-7' for the extra distance.

4. Technique. This goes down to how you swing the rod and time the release. Given enough self practice, most anglers would have no problems achieving resonable casting distance without guidance. Take not of the length of line you let out for casting, the comfortable length can vary from person to person but it typically shouldn't be longer than 3/4 of the rod length. For casting light lures, using longer length will help.

5. Wind. Your casting distance can be greatly reduced if you're casting against the wind and it also affects your direction of lure travelling.

That said, it's wise to pay attention to fish activities or spotting likely cover areas of where fish might be hiding. They may not be necessarily far away. :)

Welcome to HLF, wanrong.

wanrong
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by wanrong »

Thanks as for th lure weight its 6.5cm and 8.6gram with a crank depth of 0-1m

Sadly i forgotten about the line diameter as uncle henry helped me to spool the line to my reel i forget to take the box for the line.

the normal length for my letout that i tried usually its only 1ring apart(from the tip ring to the next ring) Guess i should increase that.

Lastly thanks for the reply really need it.

New question, does toman bite minnow? Or should i get a spoon/more depth covered shinny minnow?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Ah, the issue should be with the lure weight. 8.6g is a very light lure and you'll definitely have problems casting it far. Using a longer rod to lobe the lure out will be much more effective. Toman definitely takes minnow, but your current lure is probably too small to interest an adult toman. Spoons will work too, along with all surface lures like woodchoppers, surface cruisers and poppers alike.

wanrong
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by wanrong »

Peace wrote:Ah, the issue should be with the lure weight. 8.6g is a very light lure and you'll definitely have problems casting it far. Using a longer rod to lobe the lure out will be much more effective. Toman definitely takes minnow, but your current lure is probably too small to interest an adult toman. Spoons will work too, along with all surface lures like woodchoppers, surface cruisers and poppers alike.
alight thanks , still a 2day old angler. Will try to get different lure tomorrow at sincere :nod:

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

A spoon will be very easy to cast as it has very high density. Maybe you should get one just to practise casting and to fish. :)

wanrong
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by wanrong »

Peace wrote:A spoon will be very easy to cast as it has very high density. Maybe you should get one just to practise casting and to fish. :)
yup exactly , was aiming for spoon as well and maybe change my minnow to a more shinny/reflective one to attrach bite.

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

Peace wrote:I can't tell for sure if it's your casting technique without actually seeing you cast but consider the factors that affects casting distance. you know better if there's fear of the line cutting your finger, and would the lure swing toward you. these are mental obstacles. . . ha

1. Lure shape and weight. Lures that are more aerodynamic and heavy will let you cast further, the higher the density, the further it can be propulsed out. What is the weight of your lure by the way?
there is air resistance affecting your casting distance. the shape of your lure matters too. throw a piece of paper vs a paper ball

2. Line diameter. You're using braided line so that's already an advantage compared to using mono, the lower the line diameter the further you can cast. the larger the surface area (diameter)the bigger the air resistance

3. Rod length. Effective rod length gives you the advantage to accelerate the lure when you cast which translates to more force into propelling the lure out. However, the longer the rod, the required strength for it to be effective also increases. 5'6" is okay but for open luring spaces, anglers would prefer 6'-7' for the extra distance.
back to basic physics, apply
work done = force X distance

4. Technique. This goes down to how you swing the rod and time the release. Given enough self practice, most anglers would have no problems achieving reasonable casting distance without guidance. Take not of the length of line you let out for casting, the comfortable length can vary from person to person but it typically shouldn't be longer than 3/4 of the rod length. For casting light lures, using longer length will help.

5. Wind. Your casting distance can be greatly reduced if you're casting against the wind and it also affects your direction of lure travelling.
it would help sending the lure to an unbelievably farther distance

That said, it's wise to pay attention to fish activities or spotting likely cover areas of where fish might be hiding. They may not be necessarily far away. :)
animal, creature hunt by ambushing. each has their hunting method. most time they are hiding under or around structures where they find peace

Welcome to HLF, wanrong. same here
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Sorry guys could u please upload a bit photo of all the lure types such as spoon and minnows coz still blur with which is which...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Post by limfish »

well, heres a well known spoon(i think)
http://www.knkfishing.com/pd-abu-island ... n-lure.cfm
you can find it at joe tackle,beach road.
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~

poptiger
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure fishing,surf fishing,handline fishing

Post by poptiger »

hey singapore dont take in that type of spoon :mad: but i have a Gold one :D just brought today at changi village. That is the only shop that take in that type of spoon. It cost differently by weight the 7g cost $9, 10g cost $10 and 12g cost $ 11.50