all about tambans

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

joshua
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

all about tambans

Post by joshua »

hi all, im new to fishing and recently have been trying to catch tambans at BJT. would appreciate if could get some advice and tips for catching tambans.

1) are tamban seasonal or premanent fishes ?.
2) is high or low tide better for catching tamban

and any other tips that you can provide . :) :) :)

thank you ;)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: all about tambans

Post by Peace »

BJT has tambans all year round but from what I observe they are somewhat seasonal as with scads. They tend to have more during the monsoon season. The tambans are always around the vicinity of the jetty during the day, but they don't always go into feeding frenzy. You can see them swimming really close to the jetty but they just won't bite your tamban jigs. They seem more active during the morning and evening times, high or low tide does really matter but the current must be flowing.

Maybe you can elaborate on how you go about catching the tambans. Are people getting tambans except you? Are you using the tamban jigs bought from the jetty?

Welcome to HLF, joshua. :)

poptiger
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: lure fishing,surf fishing,handline fishing

Post by poptiger »

i recommend changing all the hook to triple hook then pull through the fish group

joshua
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by joshua »

hi guys,
thanks for all your replies,

i have actually bought a few from a tackle shop , they dont have a brand though.

i was actually thinking of going this wed 26th oct 2011 at 6am to about 9 am because if my understanding of the tides is correct, its the moon perigee and i think there is a spring tide. so im guessing that the current would be the strongest ?

please advice

thanks
regards
joshua :D

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Yes, that's correct. The current will be fast that day and it'll make the baitfish and its predators more active. Those brandless tamban jigs are probably handmade and sold to the tackle shops, those ain't bad at all. So far from what I've observe the ones sold by that 'Jepun' guy at the jetty is more effective, so you may want to get a pack from him if you aren't getting any tambans.

Good luck on your Wednesday trip. :clover:

joshua
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by joshua »

awesome :) :) ..

thanks a lot .

btw is there any other advice u can give me from your personal experience on how to effectively catch tamban ?

thanks
regards
joshua

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

Catching the tambans are easy if they in the right feeding mood, you don't even have to have the jigging action when they're in frenzy. Sometimes when they don't bite, try casting out (make sure you're fishing against the current) and give it long and slow jigging action as you reel back. Lookout for anglers crowded in a spot jigging, usually you can see better results from them. These anglers may have gotten a small group of tambans to bite so fishing beside them isn't a bad idea.

joshua
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by joshua »

hi :)

thanks for all the help . can i just ask , by fishing against the current , that means the current is coming towards you rite ?

thanks
regards
joshua

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

That's right, so you should at least throw out a little so that it comes right infront of you. Be careful not to let it run under the jetty.

joshua
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by joshua »

hi,

alright thanks ;)

can i also ask
1) is there any way to check when there is going to be fast current from like websites or anything ?
2) i saw some people jigging and they caught sardines , im wondering if its possible to jig for sardines and how to do it ?

thanks
regards
joshua

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

A quick way to see if the current will be fast is to see the lunar phase or looking at the the tide table itself. Full and new moons usually give you very fast current because the tides will fluctuate the most. By looking at the tide table, if you see a day with very high tides and very low tides ie. >2.8m high and <0.6m, chances are the current will be fast.

Are you sure they're 'sardines' and not tambans? Sardines and tambans are both herrings, I believe they're of different species though. Do you have a picture of the fish?

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Was jigging for taman at BJT, that's no season for it, but once or twice a month during strong current flow (That's what the old uncle told me) you can hook more taman, normally i hook around 50+ but on good day u can get 100+ in less than 2hr.
Timing will be around 7am to 10am and 4pm to 7pm.
Get the hook from those old uncle there, 3 set for $5 or 7 set for $10. Use size 0.5 sinker, cast it against the current flow.