Newbie to fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

nikoneer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: FISHING@!!!!!

Newbie to fishing

Post by nikoneer »

Hello everyone! My name is nikoneer I'm a camera hobbyist and I've just started to add fishing into my hobby. I have bought my equipment last Saturday and tried it the next day in Bedok Jetty and today at Punggol Pond in Punggol Park but I end up 0. I'm a bit frustrated becauese its already 2 days and haven't got any.

here is my equipment:

1. 5ft plus tackle (lightweight)
2. cheap reel
3. thin (almost a hair strand but kinda sturdy) fishing line purple color
4. basic hook (1 line with 2 hooks attached)
5. 1/2 sinker at the bottom of the basic hook
6. float

my ideal fishing place : Ponds and reservoir

I used pork meat as my bait and haven't bought a worm at that time because of my excitement. I'm thinking that if fish eat bread why not pork? :lol:

I was so embarrased by an uncle who also went fishing at my side because he is using only bread and he caught 3 small fishes! :confused:

Is there any wrong with the stetup?

1. is the hook that I bought from a local fishing shop in Hougang
2. should I put float while fishing in a pond?
3. may I know what type of bait or lure should I use in a pond fish?

please help guys.....

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: Newbie to fishing

Post by Vidic »

Hi nikoneer, Welcome to Handline fishing :p
Bedok jetty is a nice place to start with, u can try jigging for tambans there. Here's a guide in HLF for ur reference.

http://www.handlinefishing.com/howtofis ... anjigging/

Besides trying to jig for tamban, you can try baiting by using prawn meat, lets say with size 8-10 hook.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Your setup is fine but you may want to use a heavier setup if you want something bigger at Bedok Jetty. For pond fishing like the one in Punggol, you're setup is fine. Take note that only artificial baits are allowed as organic baits such as meat or even bread can pollute the water. I believe there are quite a variety and number of cichlids in Punggol ponds and these fishes take bread readily although they also take meat. You probably had too big piece of a meat which they find it hard to chew on.

1. Typically you want to use a bait size that the fish you want can swallow it whole and the size of your hook is just big enough to be embedded inside the bait (excluding the hook shank). That should give you a rough idea on what hook size to use.

2. In the case of pond fishing, it depends on what sort of fishes you're targeting. Float rig is fine but if you're targeting for cichlids, a bottom rig is probably a better choice.

3. Live earthworms is probably an excellent bait there but since we can't use it there, we'll have to go for artificial lures. You can try using hard body lures like minnows, if there are Peacock bass or snakeheads in there it will take it. Even cichlids like chromides will sometimes attack the artificial lures.

Welcome to HLF, nikoneer. :)

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

I was at Pungol park recently. Saw some mayan cichlids in the bags of fishers who were fishing at the longkang. Pungol park have tilapias too.
Yes, you can use a float. Using a single hook is better sometimes, as when two hooks are not tied properly, they tend to hook each other. Tilapia takes bread, but it is not that easy even for novice, as they often release the bait the moment you strike the rod. For your setup, you can watch the float go down, as indication to strike the rod. The bait is like bread,freshwater shrimp or some other baits.You may not need a weight , but can use a float with weight inside it.
Generally, need to use lures. which tilapias won't touch, peacock bass takes lures.
At Bedok jetty, you need a lead weight, that is not too big, as yours is a 5ft rod. Using a tamban jig that some people say should buy from the uncles somewhere there. Otherwise you can use a 2-3 hook rig, with prawn meat cut into smaller pieces. targetting assorted fish,I didn't manage to catch fish most of the time at Bedok jetty, except catfish or puffer once in a while. Don't use float at BJT, unless you are fishing garfish, and several other fish species.
Last edited by BeachBum on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

nikoneer wrote:Hello everyone! My name is nikoneer I'm a camera hobbyist and I've just started to add fishing into my hobby. I have bought my equipment last Saturday and tried it the next day in Bedok Jetty and today at Punggol Pond in Punggol Park but I end up 0. I'm a bit frustrated becauese its already 2 days and haven't got any.

here is my equipment:

1. 5ft plus tackle (lightweight)
2. cheap reel
3. thin (almost a hair strand but kinda sturdy) fishing line purple color
4. basic hook (1 line with 2 hooks attached)
5. 1/2 sinker at the bottom of the basic hook
6. float

my ideal fishing place : Ponds and reservoir

I used pork meat as my bait and haven't bought a worm at that time because of my excitement. I'm thinking that if fish eat bread why not pork? :lol:

I was so embarrased by an uncle who also went fishing at my side because he is using only bread and he caught 3 small fishes! :confused:

Is there any wrong with the stetup?

1. is the hook that I bought from a local fishing shop in Hougang
2. should I put float while fishing in a pond?
3. may I know what type of bait or lure should I use in a pond fish?

please help guys.....
because the fish are muslim :p so you shouldnt use pork or if the muslims catch the fishes they would also indirectly be eating pork

nikoneer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nikoneer »

allright thanks for all advice... I'll post my first catch...

btw 1 question

when you put prawn as a bait, do you put the cooked prawn meat or the raw prawn meat?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

I suggest sticking to fresh, uncooked prawns. :sweatdrop: I think fishes will prefer the scent of its natural food, it's not everyday they get to eat steamed prawns. However, certain fishes aren't picky eaters and they certainly do take cooked prawns or similar meat. You'll sometimes hear anglers using ham, sausages and other stuff we eat as bait and they do catch fish.

nikoneer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nikoneer »

Its my 3rd day in Punggol pond but still no catch.

here is what I did:

1 setup new hook # 8 and tied it to .35 nylon diameter in 1 meter legnth
2 attach fix float (bright orage about a size of a 1 month old baby fist) from the main line to the hook line
3 put some small prawn cubes (saltwater I guess) and bread as my bait
4 cast it far away then wait for 5 minutes and reel back (bait still there :shocked: )

repeat from step 3 to 4....

I started at 6 am to 10 am :lol:

I guess I need more training... research and advice :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

You mentioned there was an uncle fishing beside you, did you take note of where he was casting and what rig he was using? Maybe you can try micmicking what he was doing. Try to keep an open eye for fish activities, fishes always like to hang out in a particular spot (it can be near a water outlet, a small bend, shady, rocky or weedy area) and may stay close to the surface. If it does, you can try shortening the leader so the fish can spot it easier.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Newbie to fishing

Post by Oinkie »

Just go right up to the uncle and talk to him. He may be able to give you a clue what you did wrong. Just be humble, you will be surprised it will open another new world....

nikoneer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nikoneer »

oh... uncle's tackle is different and his technique is not so common. His tackle is a retractable long straight stick about 10 feet in length his wire is no different from mine but its fix length same size as his tackle and he fish just behind the bushes, he put a stick float in it and it works so good that every time it sinks.... its a fish!!!

he is very very very friendly and he talks to me and give advice.................................................. he is an old Chinese man probably around early 60's...... and I am a young non Chinese foreigner mid 20's..... :lol:

I only understand 1 thing what he told me.... he put his hand to the ground wiggle it and say "chi yin" I quickly open my google and I found out he means earth worm.... then he points to the middle of the pond and say something in Chinese which probably he said "USE EARTH WORM IF YOU WANT TO CATCH BIG FISH YOU NOOB :nod: :thumbsup: "

I still don't give up... ever time I went there I sat beside him and he kept talking to me in Chinese and I kept nodding and say something in English.

I'll go back there this Friday and try what uncle is doing. while you said to me try to mimic him, maybe I should go to tackle shop today and buy that adjustable float and set my leader line the same as his, I'll rig 1 hook only same size as his.

Maybe I should also dig a juicy earth worm just below our block and hopefully nobody will arrest me for digging worms

I'll post my prize here if I catch one even if its small small one!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

From what you describe, he seems to be using a pole rod. You can get a normal one for 10-20 dollars at tackle shops if you're interested to use his method. Pole rods are useful if the fish is near the bank, you can accurately drop the bait where you want and the float is easy to control its direction. Earthworm is definitely a good bait, those fat juicy jumping earthworms aren't easy to find though. They don't like hard soil.

Good luck on your next trip.

nikoneer
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by nikoneer »

well its been a long time already...

I already cought a tilapia, I use pole rod often and sometimes my rod and reel, and attach a stick float, it works soo good! I use bread as a bait.

I know now the my faults, its the fishing place. the more fish the faster you can get in any type of bait.

but I never have time to upload my catch.... :(

I'm just letting you guys know. thanks for all of your advice!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor

Post by Peace »

It's no problem, good to know you're figuring out the fish's habitat and their feeding behaviour. Do share with us the pictures when you have the time. :)