4lbs Mono cast farther than 4lbs Braided

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

4lbs Mono cast farther than 4lbs Braided

Post by ping »

Braided line used: FINS PRT 4 lbs 0.10pm
Mono line used: Tomman 4 lbs 0.17mm
Rod used: 6 feet 2-6 lbs 0.8-3g
Reel used: Tica Cetus SB 500
Weight used: 3g ball sinker
Lure used: fly hook size #4

With the same setup, weight and fly used, I found that Mono beats Braided in distance. This puzzled me as braided line has a thinner diameter, or braided lines need some "run in" period?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: 4lbs Mono cast farther than 4lbs Braided

Post by Peace »

Interesting. If everything is equal in terms of pressure and depth of line wound, I'd say it's due to the friction of the line itself. Braided lines typically have a rougher surface than mono, so lines around them tend to drag the portion that is going out when casting. This effect becomes apparent when you're using light lures and the direction of lines paying out that is normal to the direction wound (spinning reel).

Just a guess though. :p

ping
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Spin Fly

Re: 4lbs Mono cast farther than 4lbs Braided

Post by ping »

Peace wrote:Interesting. If everything is equal in terms of pressure and depth of line wound, I'd say it's due to the friction of the line itself. Braided lines typically have a rougher surface than mono, so lines around them tend to drag the portion that is going out when casting. This effect becomes apparent when you're using light lures and the direction of lines paying out that is normal to the direction wound (spinning reel).

Just a guess though. :p
Your guess maybe correct :nod: , I'd observed the braided line leaving the spool much slower (than mono line) when a cast of a same amount of strength was made. The coating on braided tends to generate more friction on the surface of rod guides while casting, which reduces overall casting distance. Hopefully I could get a better casting distance when the braided line gets more seasoned.