How to tie HK Hook

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

fi-she
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Offshore and Pole Fishing

How to tie HK Hook

Post by fi-she »

Hi, can anyone teach me what is the best way to tie a Hong Kong Hook or is there any site tat i can refer to. Can HK hook be use for handline fishing. Thanks in advance.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: How to tie HK Hook

Post by Peace »

Welcome to HLF, fi-she. You can snell the hook like you normally do. You may attach a length of leader to your mainline before you tie the hook depending on what kind of line you're using.

fi-she
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by fi-she »

Thanks for your infor. BTW can tis hook be use for handline fishing at Kelong. Is it effective?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Sorry I've missed out on this question. You can use this on rods or handline, I personally prefer to use this with handline as control of the hook is much more precise. The control on the line slack is often crucial in getting the fish to bite and a good hook set.

You certainly can use on Kelong but there's the disadvantage of reach that rod has. That is to say if the fish were to dive under the kelong, you will have a hard time steering the fish unlike a rod can. That's why a lot of anglers fishing from Kelong tend to use very heavy lines so they can ignore the hazards below, this applies to cast and wait though.

For active handline fishing where you actually hold the line, you can't go too heavy on the line as it dulls the feel and control of the hook/bait. If done right, use of HK hook can be very effective.

fi-she
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by fi-she »

Noted and thanks