Tackle

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Tackle

Post by Streetmonkey »

Recently, was talking to a rod builder abt tackle, setting drag, rod, everything abt fishing, the science on fishing. Is there anyone or any site to provide more insight? Ie... The characterist of diff type of fishing method popping, bottom, jiggin, etc.

The ideal kind of rod n reel for such method. of cos in concise manner, all those lengthy scientific write up will jus kill anyone interest.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Tackle

Post by Peace »

Unfortunately, you will need to really read up on those lengthy writeups as well as some hands on experience to really know what makes a good setup for a particular type of fishing. Actually you can ask the rod builder to explain this to you but I doubt he is willing to explain it through basics or very thoroughly.

I can give an idea of the difference in gear between bottom, jigging and popping. For bottom, tackles can be heavy in power and weight as you may not need to hold on to the rod. For bottom rods, its length need not be long(5'-6') but it's preferrably to choose a rod that has a fast action rod(one with strong backbone) as you need to steer fish out of bottom structures. A soft tip will also useful for baiting and setting hook. Reel will require one with high torque for cranking the heavy up the heavy sinkers as well as fighting stubborn fishes like rays.

For jigging and popping, gears are preferrably light in weight as you need to hold them throughout the fishing. Jigging rods are typically parabolic (medium action) so it doesn't put too much strain on the anglers while jigging. Rod lengths are typically the same as bottom rods. If you're using overhead reels, narrow profiled ones are preferred as it is easier to balance and grip while you jig. For popping should be similar to jigging except rods are typically longer (7'-8') as casting is involved. Faster action rods will give better popping action but of course put more strain on the angler.

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

He is quite a nice chap, willing to share. At times I cant really comprehene cos I was rushing thru my mind to absord those he shared. Lol.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

It takes time, its not a one off thing which u can remember everything. When u start to look for gears then u will come across different tackle, shopping and going through, choosing what reels/rods are suitable for you for different kinds of fishing.
Anyone can tell u gears related to bottom, jigging or popping(this rod good, this reel good etc), however not all are true or applicable to you. You gotta try it out yourself and see what suits u and what you are comfortable with.(Eg a big sized guy wouldnt mind a stella20k for jigging compare to a skinny guy who finds it bulky and heavy to handle etc)
By going through the tackles u have now, Then u could classify ur tackle under different category usage, this way u'll know what u lack of and what rod u could ask him to build? :D
Drop by to HLF chatroom when u are free, we'll have a chat. ;)
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Post by QTfisher »

most impt equipment are your hands so take good care of them :)

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Vidic wrote:It takes time, its not a one off thing which u can remember everything. When u start to look for gears then u will come across different tackle, shopping and going through, choosing what reels/rods are suitable for you for different kinds of fishing.
Anyone can tell u gears related to bottom, jigging or popping(this rod good, this reel good etc), however not all are true or applicable to you. You gotta try it out yourself and see what suits u and what you are comfortable with.(Eg a big sized guy wouldnt mind a stella20k for jigging compare to a skinny guy who finds it bulky and heavy to handle etc)
By going through the tackles u have now, Then u could classify ur tackle under different category usage, this way u'll know what u lack of and what rod u could ask him to build? :D
Drop by to HLF chatroom when u are free, we'll have a chat. ;)
Ya u r rite... But too many brand too many review...really suck thumb. It not ez to fish nwaday lol.

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

QTfisher wrote:most impt equipment are your hands so take good care of them :)
I m a boor... Duno how to take care of equiment 1.... Even my car... I aso bo chup. For me it nt abt asethetic.... Is alway function.

Wif the price of my current car, could had bought a bmw in e past.... But I chose a 1.5 litre car ... It for the speed which is for me, nt e brand. Likewise, I would wana use a rod n reel to suit my style of fishing, not the brand

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Tackle

Post by Oinkie »

Streetmonkey wrote:
I m a boor... Duno how to take care of equiment 1.... Even my car... I aso bo chup. For me it nt abt asethetic.... Is alway function.

Wif the price of my current car, could had bought a bmw in e past.... But I chose a 1.5 litre car ... It for the speed which is for me, nt e brand. Likewise, I would wana use a rod n reel to suit my style of fishing, not the brand

What is the most important is your budget. How much you can afford....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by Vidic »

Try to ask around when you encounter different brands of reels and rods, i'm sure most of us can give you advice on them. :p
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Oinkie wrote:
Streetmonkey wrote:

What is the most important is your budget. How much you can afford....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Something cheap n yet gd... Nwi m looking at canyon reel.... But wonder if it is as gd as claimed.

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Vidic wrote:Try to ask around when you encounter different brands of reels and rods, i'm sure most of us can give you advice on them. :p
I not brand consious de... Cheap n gd... Those branded reel n rod r killer

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by Vidic »

I'm also not a branded killer, neither do i have any stella or saltiga :p I only go for branded for heavy fishing, the low-end brands really tires me out or spoils easily.
Canyon reel looks good, seems comparable to Avet reels, u need to try them to see if the reeling is as rough though. I specifically like the HS-15 jigging reel, light weight, high drag, deep spool. :thumbsup: Definietely a no problem for sg bottom fishing-msia jigging/bottom fishing(cept those deep waters), fishes within 10-25kg shouldnt be a problem. The only thing we could not test is whether the internal components would last, is the drag smooth on high drag and have what it takes of 28lbs as stated. Does it costs around $250 usd or sgd ? :lol:
Which one are you looking at ?
Any idea where is it made from ? (should be usa?) and which tackle shop holds them ? :p

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Hs 15, errmmmm, I m looking at the reem which can do jigging n bottom, 2 speed ....forget wad model liao. I gona but a spinning reel... The new model srj something, 30kg drag.... 4.2:1 gear ratio. Doubt sg company carry tis brand, however I emailed to don (canyon boss I think), he told me, there is a techician in sg who can fix the reel during warranty period.

I wana buy online n ship it into sg. But if the damn shipping is so ex... Den it pointless.

Seems promising reel. But I was also warned by some veteran angler tat, some reel are copied from brand, re brand and sold ....

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol

Post by Vidic »

As requested :p
JIgging link for your reference
Light Jig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP64yoSi ... re=related
Heavy Jig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjv-4QpxKWs

Tying/Rigging up of assist hook/line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEQclfSiaQ
U could ignore the sleeving portion(The red rubber thingy)

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Thk VD..... Si bei many pattern in fishing lol....