Baitcasting Reel

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Baitcasting Reel

Post by Newguy »

As the topic say so this is for all the pros and bros who knows about Baitcasting Reel and to those who wanna learn about Baitcasting Reel...

To the Site Editor Peace and all the Mod Team I appreciate that u guys agree on the idea so lets share what we know...

From what i see and learn from the web this is what I can say about Baitcasting Reel they give anglers(pros) the accuracy of casting a lure to the designated area the anglers wants..And for the beginner like myself i would say i will took us a lot of time to actually get the position we want rite but most of the time what we will get is 75% to 90% of the accuracy and 75% to 100% of every throw with a backlash...

EG of Baitcaster Reels..

Function Of Baitcaster Reels:

Shimano Calais:

Okuma Citrix:

Daiwa Luna:

Shimano Millionaire:

Thats all I can say and show as I'm actually also in the learning stage of fishing...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Baitcasting Reel

Post by Oinkie »

My suggestion is do a bit of research before posting. Go check the actual reel before you post, you will benefit much more rather than just picking the picture off the web and post it here. as you know the learning curve of this reels are a little steeper, you were saying about accuracy but if not cast properly 95% of the time you will end up trying to untangling the lines. It's PITA especially with braided lines.

When I posted some spec of the reels sometime back, I actually went down to the shop and learn more about the reel, talked to people who owned it and shop owner then I post it.... Cheers...

Ps The last reel you posted is from Daiwa not Shimano.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Re: Baitcasting Reel

Post by Newguy »

Oh yes the last 1 was a Daiwa Millionaire..

Sorry but to what i read and see mostly i can say is that its all about accuracy...The way they cast the lure to certain area differ from what u can get from spinning.. Yes i dont denied that pros angler in spinning reel can do better but then yet like Oinkie say its all down to practice and practice and u get the result...Distance yes u can get the distance better from spinning reel especially when ure using the pendulum technique its like 2-3 time far and better as what i can say is that im still learning so any mistakes i made do correct me...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Let's not turn this topic into a spinning vs overhead discussion ya? Every reel design will have their own disadvantages and their suitable use, that's why one doesn't phase out the other. A good effort by new guy but perhaps you can write something about the basic function on how baitcasting reel works and how to operate them. Things anglers might want to look out for when they're first buying or using one.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

I remember when i first started casting with bc reel, i kept casting and always encounter "birdsnest" when i cast. One fine day, when i was fishing, an angler beside me fishing notice that i keep encounter entangling on lines after casting. He noticed that i always do a overhead cast and encounter "birdsnest". He came over and advise me to do a side cast, showed me and i learn from him. From then on, i seems to be more interesting in casting a bc reel rather then fishing. During my shore fishing session with my friends, i did more casting then fishing, my friend even ask me am i fishing or casting. After couple of fine tuning, i did not encounter any "birdsnest" when casting. I would say it takes technique to cast a bc reel and of course, practicing.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

I second that,Vidic.What you say is so true.Dont always try one method,like Peace mention earlier,evey reel has its advantage and weakness,one must know your equipment well to get the best enjoyment out of your casting/fishing. :nod:

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Vidic wrote:I remember when i first started casting with bc reel, i kept casting and always encounter "birdsnest" when i cast. One fine day, when i was fishing, an angler beside me fishing notice that i keep encounter entangling on lines after casting. He noticed that i always do a overhead cast and encounter "birdsnest". He came over and advise me to do a side cast, showed me and i learn from him. From then on, i seems to be more interesting in casting a bc reel rather then fishing. During my shore fishing session with my friends, i did more casting then fishing, my friend even ask me am i fishing or casting. After couple of fine tuning, i did not encounter any "birdsnest" when casting. I would say it takes technique to cast a bc reel and of course, practicing.
I had the same problem.Overhead cast with a LowProfile BC and it had a "birdsnest" on the spool.I asked around and they
told me to cast out like how you would play badminton or tennis.The stroke is sideways and Voila no "birdsnest".
I must say that it takes alot of practise to get it right.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Just curious, what's the main difference between a baitcasting reel and overhead?
For a budget of $250 am i able to get a decent baitcasting rod and reel setup?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

A baitcast reel is infact an overhead reel, they're synonymous. Those with flat designs are known as low profile and the rounder ones are called round profile baitcaster. Low profile designs are usually smaller and stay close to the reel making it very easy to hold which is comfortable to hold and cast. This benefit makes it suitable for luring usage and some inshore fishing. Round profiles are often found in reels for heavier fishing and higher line capacity (not always true) such as for surf and offshore fishing.

However, anglers often refer baitcasting reel as low profile baitcasting reel and round profile baitcasting reel as overhead reels. To add more confusion to it, they are also called multipliers, conventional or casting reels. :lol:

Your budget should get you something between entry level and mid-range tackles.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Baitcasting Reel

Post by Oinkie »

Burpp wrote:Just curious, what's the main difference between a baitcasting reel and overhead?
For a budget of $250 am i able to get a decent baitcasting rod and reel setup?

Yes, do a bit of homework first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Well guys maybe some are getting the wrong idea of why i open up this thread...

The actual reason is for the pros and season anglers(fisherman) to teach and show us the beginners/ametuers and novice anglers the functional and uses of the baitcasters...
Yes we beginners do need to do some research here and there and even ask does anglers during our fishing trips about baitcasters but dont u feel irritated sometimes... The reason we go there is to fish not to teach beginners about baitcaster
they will gives us pointers here and there but still they ans will be the same either we join a forum or do research..

So guys do help us out here on our first time getting or using a baitcaster coz pros are always better than beginners but if pros are stingy of their knowledge how are we beginners gonna learn and have fun fishing like u pros have fun in fishing..

Learning,Researching and Watching Videos on youtube might be useful but what about buying stuff we still need to ask around so that the reason why i open up a thread about baitcaster reel so all info from specs to suggestion on the reel can be read on this thread...

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Newguy wrote:Well guys maybe some are getting the wrong idea of why i open up this thread...

The actual reason is for the pros and season anglers(fisherman) to teach and show us the beginners/ametuers and novice anglers the functional and uses of the baitcasters...
Yes we beginners do need to do some research here and there and even ask does anglers during our fishing trips about baitcasters but dont u feel irritated sometimes... The reason we go there is to fish not to teach beginners about baitcaster
they will gives us pointers here and there but still they ans will be the same either we join a forum or do research..

So guys do help us out here on our first time getting or using a baitcaster coz pros are always better than beginners but if pros are stingy of their knowledge how are we beginners gonna learn and have fun fishing like u pros have fun in fishing..

Learning,Researching and Watching Videos on youtube might be useful but what about buying stuff we still need to ask around so that the reason why i open up a thread about baitcaster reel so all info from specs to suggestion on the reel can be read on this thread...
@Newguy
I agree with you a 100per cent.You have hit the nail right on the head.One can get information on the net but it is always
better to ask a person who has used that product.The reason being,that person will have feedback using that product which
the Net cannot provide.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android.

BeachBum
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Lure fishing

Post by BeachBum »

What is the specific question ? How to use the baitcaster ?
When you buy the reel, there may be an pamplet in the box, and it has the instructions on how to use it. but some don't have or not clear enough, depends on the makers. Some mechanisms inside some baitcasters are slightly different, so it depends on which baitcaster.
Generally, I use a baitcaster for luring only at freshwater, and my baitcaster is not high end one, so it can't be used at saltwater or the bearings inside will rust. It can also be used for casting live prawn with a clip on weight or no need weight, sort of like spinning prawns. BUt I didn't use it for saltwater, so can't use prawn. ...a bit contradictory, but just saying that some reels can take saltwater, but most of the low end ones can't.
Now, there is a lot of assuming, I assume you connect a short leader to your main line, with a bimini knots and stuff. and I assume you use a 10 lb braided line. You can practice casting to get used to you reel.once, I do it as a basketball court when the lights has gone off at night, or at an open space. Find a weighted float or something to use, lead weight can be used but just use a small one of about 10g. Normal lures is about 10g-20g. Lures lower than 10g are not easy to cast effectively using entry level baitcasters and if you are new to this.
The friction cast control is set to minimum at first. From the picture above of the functional of baitcaster, Press the thumbbar, the weighted float will fall to the ground. You need to adjust the cast control brake, to make the weighted float "slowly" fall to the ground. After that, you do a cast, any bird nest ? If get bird nest, adjust the cast control brake to a more conservative setting, until a time when you cast, sometimes get birdnest, sometimes no bird nest. Then, you adjust the friction cast control. This is for the wind conditions. If windy, you adjust highter setting, if no wind, you set minimum. but generally if very windy, you can go home liao. hahaha.. if using lures, if lead shots maybe ok.
Oh I think U-tube may sometimes have some Vids that shows how to prepare for casting, so you see those videos will be clearer. I'm sure my description isn't good, that's why people here will say reading some articles will be better.
How to solve bird nest, 1) Thumb down to stop the overspilling line. 2)Press down thumb bar.3) Pull line carefully out of the reel's front until encounter the knot, 4) solve the knot, 5) continue to pull line out of the front but don't use force ,the line digging into the spool will make a mess. until the spool's loose line are all out, then hold the line infront with your thumb and forefinger, reel in the loose line. Braided lines are not easy to use because when you get birdnest, it can be a nightmare and it is also more expensive. So I suggest you try some mono lines, but monolines have memory effect and has its own problems. The braided line I use do not have memory effect but may have line twist at times, so you may need a swivel. The lures I used do not twist lines that bad, so I didn't use swivel for some lures.For spoons, use swivels.
There are cheap baitcasters , ok baitcaster and high end baitcasters, don't know 'decent' is refering to which type. For me, my decent one is $200+ , but some types may be $100 or below ? unfortunately, I haven't been to the tackle shops these days , so I lost touch of what reels. What are the decent reels these days ? $250 may be enough, although I don't know what are the choices currently available. Some reels are cheap in the $60 range, but are entry level reels from china, I'll avoid these.

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Post by Vidic »

Thanks beachbum for sharing . I would say try to relate to what beachbum mentioned to u yourself doing it in real life when u are reading.
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Chatellany
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Learning luring and getting into surfcasting.

Post by Chatellany »

Hello everyone. Thought this might be a good chance for me to poke my nose into this thread ( too friendly forumers here I'm always late in discussions ) and also I've recently got myself started with BC reel, to be specific, low profile baitcasters.

To start with the reason I bought myself a BC reel is that I've always heard of the 'further casting distance' which is sadly a Overstated statement I realized later on. Because most BC reels are designed mechanically to handle certain ranges of weights of the lures. You have to choose the right baitcaster for the right weighted lures you use, unlike spinning, you hook anything and it goes almost successfully on every whatever kind of cast. Thats the 1 disadvantage of BC reel.

However the second reason why I got myself a BC is the first advantage going to be mentioned over spinning, and that it's the time saved from opening the bail of a spinning reel. Everyone should know that there's a thumb clutch which requires not much more hand or finger movement than opening the bail of a spinning reel. Same lure same rod same line different reels, average casts on a BC to Spinning can be 5:3. And that's how I comfort myself for spending quite a bomb on a BC.

Now into the BC and BC discussion. Like I said that stock models are made for specific range of weight, if your BC reel is able to cast a mile on a 1 oz / 28g lure, then you'd probably be in disappointment when you hook a 7 g on your rod. Where casts may still be possible, it's often restrained, you dare not 'whack' as hard as you do on a 28g or I should say, you shouldn't even think of whacking, because next will be hi Hi bird nest.

So when an angler buys a BC reel, please look around for reviews before committing. There are some in the market which are known to be good for beginners and serve well over an average range of 15-28g of lures. Shimano Curado 200E(which is out of production), shimano curado 200G which is made in Malaysia, shimano caenan, these are in the range of 200-250.

Higher ones are shimano scorpion xt 1500,shimano scorpion DC, $450 range. Seahawk infinity bass 103 if I'm not wrong is below $150.

For anglers who are looking into casting rubbers or weight starting from 5g should probably be looking at Shimano curado 50e/g, shimano scorpion xt 1000($325), Daiwa steez($BOMB), Daiwa alphas r($4Xx), Daiwa pixy spr/liberto($BOMB). These reels are known to handle light lures, named as finesse reels/fishing.

However while they are able to load on heavy lures, on the long run it will spoil the mechanism in the reels so the same advice comes in , know your fishing before buying a BC. It's more than always a hardcore pro BC user has more than 3 BC to suit different fishing and different places. Good luck.

And ya the 70-95% backlash is a myth. There are braking systems to tune properly for each reel. And of course love your reel, hug it to sleep every night to understand it better, understand it first before asking it to understand you and youll have a good time with BC.