Tackle selection

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Tackle selection

Post by Streetmonkey »

Pls pardon me for noob qns, what do u look for when u wana buy a reel?

It is quite a subjective issue, as it is due to indivual preferances, and pricing etc.

For me when I buy a reel, I alway look for high stopping power,smoothness when reeling in or out especially when heavy sinker (gear ratio).

Like to have some input when u consider to buy a reliable reel.

QTfisher
Line Untangling
Line Untangling
Fishing interest: Surf, Handline, offshore. but all kinds also good.

Re: Tackle selection

Post by QTfisher »

i look for smooth drag, ease of retrieval, good braking system and line cap

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

You're right about it being subjective, only knowing where and how the reel will be used can the a suitable reel be determined. For shore fishing and many forms of artificial fishing, high speed reels will likely give more benefits. Low speed reels are great for cranking deep divers and fishing with heavy sinkers. Robustness and ease of maintenance is also important as it affects the lifespan of the reel. Not all expensive reels are good, but good reels are certainly not cheap. Quality reels are manufactured with lower tolerance and stronger and lighter materials, those cost money.

So when selecting a reel for yourself, list out features you need or want in a reel. Prioritize them in order and get one with as many top prioritized features as your budget allows.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Tackle selection

Post by Oinkie »

I look for what is comfortable to my pocket. No point everybody says this reel good can drag up a whale, at the end of the day cannot afford it. Cheers.

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

I bought a accurate, when my frn told me it gd... Buti m not used to it. Another frn told me ocea jigger is gd, I bought another jigger, found out that jigger suit me as the gear ratio is jus nice for me. But the drawback is... It corrode easily. Now I planning to sell off my jigger n buy a okuma marikia, cos my frn told me it is gd lol. And atested by another fellow... It is cheap n gd lol.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Post by Oinkie »

Streetmonkey wrote:I bought a accurate, when my frn told me it gd... Buti m not used to it. Another frn told me ocea jigger is gd, I bought another jigger, found out that jigger suit me as the gear ratio is jus nice for me. But the drawback is... It corrode easily. Now I planning to sell off my jigger n buy a okuma marikia, cos my frn told me it is gd lol. And atested by another fellow... It is cheap n gd lol.

Another tale of a rich angler.... Can change gear when he like it...

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Haha, pls do not misunderstand me, as I m not here to flaunt my wealth or tackle. I m jus a average joe, wif a average income. Those those reel which I got are 2nd hand, after 1 usage I sold off, as I am not comfortable wif it. I didnt lose much in that sense.

As a noob, I jus blindly buy stuff which ppl tells me is gd, so after tryingit out i decided tat it nt for me, hence sold off the reel which I bought, and bought another 2nd hand reel.

It is also the very reason why I started out this thread, asking noob qns, seeking more information on selection of reel. I dun start out this thread, to flaunt the tackle which I had. I still neeAsd to loan tackle from vidic when I went for fishing trip lol. Tis is a indication of a cheapo angler.. Which is me hee hee

As I know some of the angler are pro, wif tackle, hence to start out this thread to help me as well as other newbie, so that they have a better idea when it comes to making a purchase.

Appology to those whom I had caused any form of discomfort. Definatly not here to flaunt any fishing equiment or any asset. Jus a noob asking some noob qns for clarification :)
The only asset which I had excessively is my fat lol.

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Sry for the mutliple reply, reply from my hp... Kinda cranky. Mod pls assist to delete the mutliple entries. Thk and sry
Edit: Done.
- Peace