Catching Stingrays :D

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

StaR_LiGhT
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Surf Fishing & Offshore Fishing

Catching Stingrays :D

Post by StaR_LiGhT »

Im interested to know more about the methods used to catch stingray
using pasir-pasir(silver sillago) as a bait. First of all, how
do i catch the bait fish. Secondly, after catching pasir-pasir, how do i hook the bait, and using what techniques(apollo, LSBF, Float etc.) ?
Thanks.. :)
FiShinG; 20% skill, 80% luck.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Catching Stingrays :D

Post by Peace »

The sand whitings can be found in sandy and muddy coastal areas and also near rivermouths. You can use worms or small pieces of dead prawns on a 3-hook apollo rig to get them. Hook size of 6-8 is sufficient.

If you want the bait the sand whiting alive, you need to hook just under its dorsal fin or near its tail. But frankly, stingray are scavengers of the sea floor and will take literally any scrapes of meat the come across. Well, a live bait could possibly be more effective but I wouldn't imagine it to be much significant. Hook the whiting live would mean you cannot cast too hard and lose distance. Many surf anglers may prefer using dead or fresh baits and possibly using a single or double hook to secure the bait. Baiting string are also used to further secure the bait for better casting.

As for the rig, LSBF is probably your best choice as it's one of the best rig for targeting fishes near the sea bed.

limfish
Line Mastery
Line Mastery
Fishing interest: Tactics that provide a challenge.

Re: Catching Stingrays :D

Post by limfish »

I agree,stingrays are scavengers and will eat a prawn or crab happily as much as a whiting.
Chumming might help,but use only fish heads/fish guts to avoid any wastage.
Also,on an unrelated note,would not reccomend you to step in the ocean,rumours says ships dump thier waste near the shipping lines,and when the current comes in...=/
Urrrgh, no time to fish now~