FreshWater Fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

FreshWater Fishing

Post by Burpp »

Hi all,
am thinking of going for fresh water fishing. What kind of lure should i use if i am going to reservoir? Currently am using a saltychief 10-20 with elf 3000 and a daiwa 6-12 with a daiwa 1500 reel.

Which set up should i use? What kind of lure should i buy? bottom sinking? surface?
What brand?

Please advice.

Thanks!

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: FreshWater Fishing

Post by Peace »

The latter set will be more suitable if you need not steer clear fish from nearby hazardous obstacles. Its light weight should give you more comfort and fish for longer duration. As for lures, just buy a few types to try out. Somethng like a storm chugbug for surface action, Rapala maxrap for suspending/slow sinking and some rubbers. They generally work for Tomans and Peacock bass but many other lures work too.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Just now i was at sincere, i didn't know rapala so exp! $17 for 1 lure!
Btw anyone try berkley gulp before?

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

Yes, rapala lures are typically on the average price range but its new models will be a little pricey. Their lures have a long history and reputation, probably why they're priced that way. You can look into some other cheaper brands like eupro or strike pro. You might want to change their stock hooks if you don't want to lose a big one.

Burpp
Line Untangling
Line Untangling

Post by Burpp »

Today was at lor halus area..drove past a stream..saw people fishing there, kpo went take a look...lot's of "japnese fish" around 10cm long., saw a guy hook about 15 of it within 30mins. Saw some people using the jap fish to catch toman as well...w

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

one factor i dislike about fresh water fishing is that there are a lot of debris like dead logs, branches etc.

so if you know your terrain well enough, you can send a suspending or a sinking like a rubber into it. even when you are using a floating, there's a good chance a toman or a peacock with just drag it back to its structured nest.

if you are targeting toman or peacock. i think these are silly fishes, by silly, i meant they whack anything in its path. in another word, means you need not buy too expensive lures like $17 a piece. =)

get floaters like propeller lures, or shallow runner. because while you are working on the surface, you got a good chance at witnessing the fishes' whacking moment.

check the 1.09 minute
Edit: fixed the embed for you. - Peace
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

sgpu wrote:one factor i dislike about fresh water fishing is that there are a lot of debris like dead logs, branches etc.

so if you know your terrain well enough, you can send a suspending or a sinking like a rubber into it. even when you are using a floating, there's a good chance a toman or a peacock with just drag it back to its structured nest.

if you are targeting toman or peacock. i think these are silly fishes, by silly, i meant they whack anything in its path. in another word, means you need not buy too expensive lures like $17 a piece. =)

get floaters like propeller lures, or shallow runner. because while you are working on the surface, you got a good chance at witnessing the fishes' whacking moment.

check the 1.09 minute
[youtube]http://youtu.be/cF7p2T585mU[/youtube]
@sgpu
Please correct me if i am Wrong.Is this not called fishing?When we fish we try our level best to outsmart the fish.
We hide a juicy worm under a super sharp hook or we disguise a super sharp hook to look like a Fly.The bottom line is
we are looking for Silly fishes.

patrick2405
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: freshwater fishing and occasionally sea fishing
ask me anything about freshwater fishing and i will try to answer them :D

Post by patrick2405 »

sgpu wrote:one factor i dislike about fresh water fishing is that there are a lot of debris like dead logs, branches etc.

check the 1.09 minute
[youtube]http://youtu.be/cF7p2T585mU[/youtube]
i cant seem to view the video :(

sgpu
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: luring, parking, bottom

Post by sgpu »

@patrick

copy, paste the link to your browser.

@kishore,

yea, i think we are all targeting muscled silly fishes. there are more odds to challenge. recently, the mackerel season. i've came to learnt they are very technical hunters. most would agree to land them on jigs, requires a fair amount of luck. i've heard stories, they tend to swim with lures/ jigs. and most time they are capable of whacking lure/ jig from its frontal which sort of explained why leader are most time frayed or snapped.
若要人不知, 除非己莫为

'tio bo'???