Totally new at fishing

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Vidic
Forum Patrol
Forum Patrol
Fishing interest: Sports Fishing

Re: Totally new at fishing

Post by Vidic »

Nice catch there deathrow. Dont think you are a newbie anymore, so many catches from you~!~. Keep it coming ! :D
We are always sharing our knowledge, feel free to drop a question if u are in doubt and we'll try our best to answer you. ;)
Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for once bitten, there is no cure. --Francis

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

Sorry just asking for braided line is normal braided line or braided fireline better.....
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

My 2 cents opinion on braided or fireline,Its up to personal preference.I feel braided lines gives more resistance when casting and reeling whereas the other feels smoother.When cutting of line,it it easier to use a knife to cut instead of pliers for braided ones.I am only familar to berkely brands.The rest as our experts.Peace,SGPU and other moderators please share.Thank you :)

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Honestly.. Been fishing for quite sometime.... I still duno how to tie a gd apollo rig.. Haiz.... Mostly my frn do it for me. Hee hee.. I still prefer to do it myself if I can. There are really many many thing to learn... From knot, rig, how to join mainline and stuff. I really still a noobie when it comes to fishing despite the fact, I fish locally in sea.

Anyway I dun have any experience in pond or luring. I started out by going to the sea lol. Actually, by following a group of seasoned angler is the best way to ans ur qns. And many ppl have diff style of fighting some big fishes. For me... My style is very primative... Yank the fish out.. End the story lol. But... I aso suffer a higher percentage of losing fishes.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Totally new at fishing

Post by Oinkie »

Wah can imagine Lao GAO yanking a 30 kg GAO....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Oinkie wrote:Wah can imagine Lao GAO yanking a 30 kg GAO....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
no need to imagine ... u see me ... face green green lor wahahahaha ...

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

So guys beside the question on normal braided and braided fireline...

What does P.E on rod and some braided line means....

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

Pe is a measurement, poundage. on a rod, pe rating means the main line poundage, max poundage. Ie: pe 3-6, the main line max is 60 pound. If it is a pe 2-4, max poundage is 40lb.

Pe 3-6 on a rod means, the tip of the rod is 30lb, and the butt of the rod is 60lb.

For braided line pe is the poundage., but have to b careful as some manufactuer have diff measurement of poundage. It best to ask the retailer. Some of the leader is number 5, u have to multiply it by 4.... Some brand , nt all brand.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Thanks alot street....

It does help me a lot to understand the P.E part when buying a rod....

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

My god there is still too much to learn...
Reading from everybody's post here i got a lil blur :P
well gotta learn from experience since i am unable to find any khakis to teach me or guide me hehe :P

Streetmonkey
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Streetmonkey »

deathrow wrote:My god there is still too much to learn...
Reading from everybody's post here i got a lil blur :P
well gotta learn from experience since i am unable to find any khakis to teach me or guide me hehe :P
i am still learning as well.... personally... jus learn the knot, and basic rig ... and u slowly progess to learn abt rod n reel stuff... bascially those equiment is for general knowledge.

honestly .. in my own opinion ... fishing need luck.. lot of luck of cos lol

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Agreed to that street, if its paypond luck is somewhere here and there but in open waters its patient and lots of luck.
I have yet to try open water as my gf does not have the patient to wait accompanying beside me so i guess no chance in that area.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Well same goes for me too... My wife use to be frustrated when i go fishing but since i got the spot @ West Coast and East Coast Canal Area she dont really get annoyed waiting especially when the tide is low or juz the rite time..... She will be the 1 who will catch for small fishes while i will be the 1 to use it as bait....

What i can say is that i takes me about 1 to 2 years to get my wife into this sport now she into pond fishing those like the 1 at Pasir Ris Pro Pond($55 for 3 hrs) or sometimes when we go East Coast for prawning... After the prawning we will juz pay $25 for 6 rod to play in the patin pond but then when hooked up she will juz shout at me and exchange hand as quickly as possible before the line break....
What im trying to say here is that why dont u get her those cheap telescope rod that come with a reel while u wait for hooked up u teach her those that u know and who knows her luck maybe better than u... Give a try Bro...

This is fishing bro... Luck+Skill+Patience=Fish

Be patience and the flower will bloom....
Sorry this post is way out of the thread but then its how i got my wife into fishing Deathrow...

stout infantfish
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Net fishing

Post by stout infantfish »

Remember an old wife's tale about bringing a woman to a kelong?You will get no fish.LOL,its not true.But bringing your other half is sometimes a nuisance as she will require toilet now and then.Not like us who can pee anywhere we like :p

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Newguy »

Thats true ahr but lucklily all the places i always go the toilet is all near by... ;) ;)