Catfish as live baits ..

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

Smiley :)
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: Fishing :)

Catfish as live baits ..

Post by Smiley :) »

Greetings , hope u guys can spent some time in reading my story & give me some tips/advise..:)

This is my story for today when i went to fishing .
Today i use catfish as a live bait . First time using catfish as a live bait.. :)) Excited ! Hahaha ..
I aiming for toman or snakehead . After putting hooks a the catfish , i let it go at the water and it didn't go far but when in-front of me only.
Than a while later it tangle it self at the water plant and it stuck. Sudden the hook came off and when it off by itself. Funny part is , it came back to me and pops it head out off the water like trying to say " goodbye & thanks " .. -,- ..
I tried again , this time after putting the hook on the catfish i use the same technic by letting it go at the water. Lending up in the same situation.
My ex told me to try casting it so that it can go far. It was a mistake cause i just witness a flying catfish & the hook came off. Same thing again , it come back & pops out its head.
I didn't give up , i try again but this time my catfish is obedient. He choose to listen to me. He when quite a distance soo did i .
I when to pee than a walk for while (5mins)
When i came back , i pull it back to check on it. It only left the tail without the body neither the head.
I put the hook on the body & tail so that it can survive but it still miss the hook.
Continue to fish , but when back to the first situation AGAIN .. :(

Here's my question , how to make the "catfish" go far & deep water ?a
How to make sure that ones a toman or snakehead bite it , it will be hook-on ?
The thing is i can't difference shape-it when they bite it or my catfish when for swimming .. It looks the same. Help ?
Smiley appreciate your kindness :)

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Catfish as live baits ..

Post by Peace »

People do cast it because if you just drop it by the bank the catfish will just stay there and entangle the weeds or rocks as you've experienced. Use two hooks on the catfish's back for better grip and hook set. Setting the hook can be tricky, when a toman takes the catfish it takes a while before it actually attempts to swallow it whole. Your line should pay out slightly faster than your catfish swimming, do not add any resistance to the line as it can spook the toman into spitting the catfish out. So just let the fish run about a min or so before striking, it can still be a hit or miss thing. Sometimes half bitten catfish may also be a smaller toman taking the catfish which is too large for it to swallow.

Kishore will be able to give you some valuable insights into baiting tomans. :nod:

Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Yo peace, u've really been a great adviser ...
Thank you so much :) :) :)
I got one more qeustion , who's Kishore ? O.o

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Smiley :) wrote:Yo peace, u've really been a great adviser ...
Smiley,
I hv replied to yr private message.
Kishore

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

Kishore wrote:
Smiley :) wrote:Yo peace, u've really been a great adviser ...
Smiley,
I hv replied to yr private message.
Kishore
Smiley,
Like i said on your PM,call me.If you post Questions here you will have to wait for a reply.On the other hand
you will receive your answers right there and then if it is on a phone call.The reason for telling you to call me is,sometimes i will be away from the Net for weeks at a time but you can always reach me by phone.
Kishore

Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Soo Sorry Kishore .. I was away for fishing .. I myself isn't always online .. Don't mind if i were to give you a text instead for call .. Im using prepaid .. :))
My apologise :)