Closed Face Reels

Post all fishing related questions here such as tackles, fishing techniques, rigs, fish ID, etc. All the technical stuff about fishing.

Moderator: Handlinefishing

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie
Fishing interest: beginner in fishing

Closed Face Reels

Post by abk »

I am new in fishing and i have tried using spinning reels.Still find it hard to master it.I was told to try out
closed face reels.they say it is for beginners.The problem is i cannot find a shop in Singapore who sells that reels.
I have surfed the net and i like some of the closed face reels,but i don't know how to buy them and ship it here.
If somebody could tell me what is the address to go to on the net to purchase the reel and the mode of payment,it will
help me greatly.Thanks.

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Re: Closed Face Reels

Post by Peace »

The reel you mentioned should be a spincast reel, it's not the most popular type of reel these days. I've never used one before but i suppose the cover aids the line to pay out smoothly. I believe it comes with its own set of inconvenience as well. May be you can elaborate on your difficulties in using a spinning reel and we can guide you accordingly.

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by abk »

I always forget to flip the bail open on a spinning reel to cast out and forget to close the bail to coil up.
If this was a closed face reel all this problems will be overcomed,with a depress button when casting out.
If you know of an address on the net where this kind of reel can be bought will be good.

deathrow
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by deathrow »

Have you try asking the shop in changi?? they having a discount right now i just bout my daiwa 3500 there

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by abk »

Tried every tackle shop and they don't have the closed face reel.
Anglers here will have bought reels on the net.Please tell me the address on the net and how
do you pay for the reel.

Newguy
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Crabbing,Inshore,Jetty and Pond Fishing...

Post by Newguy »

ABK have u tried the shop in changii was there last 2 weeks and saw a few that was put outside the shop why not u go there and see it again if its available...
Sorry to confuse u coz I'm still new to this sport...

Peace
Site Editor
Site Editor
Fishing interest: Handline fishing

Post by Peace »

With regards to the bail arm, it's simply a matter of getting used to and it'll soon become a second nature. I've seen spincast reel from Abu sold at Siow Chiang at Beach Road before it closed down. You can try their shop at Ubi, they probably still have stocks.
http://www.surecatch.com/index.php/faq_cat/retail/

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker
Fishing interest: Offshore Fishing, biking, kooning, makaning....

Closed Face Reels

Post by Oinkie »

Had seen this type of reel in one of the shops along beach road can't really recall which one. Maybe it's joe tackle. Was at beach road area 2 weeks ago checking out the gears. you can try there. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by abk »

I like the Abumatic underspin 276ui.I intend to buy it over the net.Please somebody,tell me the procedure.

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Closed Face Reels

Post by Oinkie »

abk wrote:I like the Abumatic underspin 276ui.I intend to buy it over the net.Please somebody,tell me the procedure.

1. Go to website, click add to basket.
2. Continue shopping to add to basket
3. Click checkout
4. Fill in your particulars and address
5. Pay via PayPal/ Visa / Masters
6. Wait for the reel to arrive

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by abk »

Oinkie wrote:
abk wrote:I like the Abumatic underspin 276ui.I intend to buy it over the net.Please somebody,tell me the procedure.

3. Click checkout

\

Thanks a Million.

Kishore
Bite Sensitive
Bite Sensitive
Fishing interest: Toman fishing tips

Post by Kishore »

As far as i am concerned,the Close Faced Reel in not for beginners.I own 2 close faced reels.One is a
underspin(with trigger) which is paired with a spinning rod.The other is a normal CFR which is paired
with a overhead rod.To use the CFR,one must have abit of fishing experience.Just to replace the line
on the reel is such a chore.
My reels came with a 6lb mono line.Whenever i cast out,my timing on releasing the spool button was delayed,
thus snapping the line and losing my sinker and leader.After many casting and losing many sinkers i
mastered the timing of the release button and i replaced the line to a 10lb. mono.
When i replaced the main line,i forgot to spin on the reel cap.I could not control the line when it gets spooled.
Then i spinned on the reel cap and filled up the spool,another problem arised.i could not see how much line was
going into the spool.Unlike a Open Face Reel,one can see the line on the spool.To counter that problem,
after acouple of cranks on the handle,spin open the reel cover and see how much of line has gone in.

To tell you the truth,after all the teething problems i encountered with the Close Faced Reel.
I find that it is a real joy in using the Close Faced Reel.The look on the Angler's face next to you on the pier.....PRICELESS.
P.S...I did not buy the reels locally,my friend bought it overseas while she was there.

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by abk »

Oinkie wrote:

3. Click checkout

I really wish it was that simple as it is written above.
When i placed an order with E-bay,you have to pay with pay-pal.My Dad is not too keen on using Pay-pal.(open account with them)Placed an order with Amazon,credit cards accepted and they will not deliver to Singapore,only reasons known to them.
Does anybody know the reason why Amazon will not deliver to Singapore?

Oinkie
Accurate Striker
Accurate Striker

Post by Oinkie »

abk wrote: I really wish it was that simple as it is written above.
When i placed an order with E-bay,you have to pay with pay-pal.My Dad is not too keen on using Pay-pal.(open account with them)Placed an order with Amazon,credit cards accepted and they will not deliver to Singapore,only reasons known to them.
They don't deliver to Singapore cos the ang mos still think we are part of China.

End of story....

abk
Lucky Newbie
Lucky Newbie

Post by abk »

Oinkie wrote:
abk wrote: I really wish it was that simple as it is written above.
They don't deliver to Singapore cos the ang mos still think we are part of China.

End of story....
End of story...........where do we go from here?